MFP is great but what would you change if you could?

Options
Hi all,
I'm a devotee of MFP, it's helped me retain a size 12 (UK) for the last year and slowly but surely improved my fitness and wellbeing.

However, I was thinking last night, what would be a beneficial change so it could help me more?

1. Carb Neutral v Carbs
Many of us are low-carb (Atkins, Zone, whatever) and there is currently no facility to measure carb neutral values (low carb veg and seeds as opposed to carbs in pasta etc) - I currently manually add up carbs using the carb measure, but it would be beneficial to have this option built in

2. Weekly goals and outcomes
The reporting system is fairly basic. I am a busy person and set myself a target of doing circuits/aerobics/weight training three times a week. A weekly review would help me see not only if I met my exercise targets, but also see how my carbs and proteins averaged out across the week. I could then give myself a little star for well done!

3. Full dietry outcomes
On the mobile Ap, you can see a complete breakdown of your GDA versus eating. It covers the basics, and all vitamins and minerals. I love it. But I can't access the same thing on the online version - it only allows me five columns. It's really useful to see everything as a whole on occasion so I can tweak vitamins here and there!

These are rudimentary observations, but I'm sure many of you are also aware of little changes you might make - so why not add them here?

Kel

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    User developed apps would be nice. That way the site could be totally customizable for individuals.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I would like to see a way to separate added sugar as opposed to natural sugar. I quit tracking sugar for this reason since my diet has hardly any added sugar in it but an apple and some grapes were putting me over.

Also, as you mentioned it just doesn't seem right that the mobile app has some features that the site doesn't. You would think it would be the other way around? A more seamless blend of the two would be nice. Considering the amount of data that you enter if you log regularly one would think the reporting features on the site would be better.

I would also like to see more questions asked when MFP is calculating your number (think a good TDEE calculator) so it doesn't return numbers that are too low. For me @ 250 it did a great job but for my sister at 160 wanting to lose 15 lbs it gave her the dreaded 1200.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP there is a weekly review feature under reports :)

I would change the app so we can visit the forums on it.
  • syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    I'd want to get rid of the "You've earned calories" bs whenever you log exercise. It's like trying to say you get to reward yourself with food, for working out. Which is counter-productive IMO.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but whatever you change could you please not take the site down for maintenance to do it!!!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'd want to get rid of the "You've earned calories" bs whenever you log exercise. It's like trying to say you get to reward yourself with food, for working out. Which is counter-productive IMO.

Actually, it's not...but it's easy enough to not eat your exercise calories back if that's what you choose to do.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My ticker says I lost 44lbs. I've lost 43.5. No, it's not that big of a deal, but I'd rather display my real loss!
  • ChiefsChick4Life
    Options
    I would like to see a "like" button, and get updates when someone has comments or replied to something.
  • cheree1969
    cheree1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I find the food and exercise entry numbers way out of whack. One time a friend put in "60 minutes fishing from a riverbank standing" ....1700 calories burned. 1700 calories???? Weird
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I wish they had some T-shirts, and work out branded gear, I'd promote the best site on the internet, it'd be cool to see others at the gym and in the real world that are members too,
  • horses7777
    horses7777 Posts: 165
    Options
    I would like to see the recipe section be like the food section, where you can adjust the quantity of something without having to delete and start a whole new search.

I would also like to find a way to share my recipes with my friends by having them be able to access them if I grant permission.

I too love MFP but think this is a great way to get ideas o what users would like. Thanks OP for starting it.
  • JessAilene86
    JessAilene86 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would like to see a "like" button, and get updates when someone has comments or replied to something.

^This
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would like to be able to set a separate daily calorie goal for days I work out vs. days I don't. I would like to have a 1400 calorie goal on non-workout days, and a NET 1200 calorie goal on workout days.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I wish they had some T-shirts, and work out branded gear, I'd promote the best site on the internet, it'd be cool to see others at the gym and in the real world that are members too,

^^I'd buy workout gear from this site!!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    This is a small thing, but I wish in the reports section that there was a report between 7 and 30 days that you could run - 15 and 20 would be great to add in there. It is motivating to see your progress, but would be nice to have interim steps between 7 and 30 days.

I also wish it wouldn't round the pounds up/down to the nearest pound. I haven't lost 9 pounds, I've lost 8.6. I would rather keep myself honest. Again, that's a really small thing.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

I would change the app so we can visit the forums on it.

this.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I would like to see some kind of notifications that tell you when friends comment on your stuff when you log in, not having to receive them by email. I can live without it, but it'd be a lot more easier and I wouldnt be so late replying back to people sometimes on comments.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Adding these warnings when people go on rants when they are obviously prisoners of borrowed knowledge
    warning-6_zpsd0bee0b9.jpg
    FQR538LGKS0W0FWLARGE_zps152acf0d.jpg
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would like for my past calorie budget to remain the same in my records when I change it. Say it's been 1700 for the past 3 months and today I'm changing it to 1800. I would like the past to stay accurate rather than change according to today. Better record keeping.

The ability to add additional meal lines.

And for my friends' diaries (on the iPhone app) to appear as THEY have THEIRS set up and not how I have mine set up so that I can see their entire day.

Also to receive a notification if someone replies to a comment that I have left on their status.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    notifications when you comment on something & others comment back & a "like" feature ((i guess i want it more like FB : ) lol ))

a option of tracking more than 6 things in the food diary... we should be able to add more