Ugh, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Options
I've been going to the gym EVERYDAY & seeing a trainer 2x a week for the last 3 weeks. I've also been watching what I'm eating as much as I can (picky eater here!) & scaling down on portions. The first 2 weeks I did great on the scale (I know a lot is probably water weight) dropping 8lbs total. The scale been fluctuating 2lbs either up or down for the past while. I'm trying my darn hardest to break into the 180's but it's just not happening. I guess it's just discouraging to see the scale either go up or not budge at all. I don't get my measurements taken until next Friday, it will be 5 weeks then. Hoping to see lower numbers so I can have motivation to keep pushing myself. :angry:

Replies

• tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    you're not being patient enough. successful weight loss takes a long time. be patient, keep working hard and eating right, and you will see results. don't worry so much about the scale. pay more attention to measurements, how you actually look, how your clothes fit, and your overall physical feeling of health. i mean, do you FEEL better?
    have realistic expectations and goals. you have to remember that these things are not instant. your body is adjusting to a lot of changes. you're doing great by equipping yourself with lots of tools and trying to enable yourself for success (MFP, trainer/gym, nutritional changes, etc). just keep all that up and you will see results in the long run. and don't get down on yourself for a pound here or there. remember that your goal should be improved health and a new healthy lifestyle, not just to see a certain digit on the scale. that's no way to live. i was like that for a while and i hated it so much. i was not a happy person. i reevaluated my goals, let up on myself a bit, and i am much happier (and healthier) now.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Most likely people will ask you to open your diary so they can see what you are eating. Are you logging everything? I've had similar problems with stalling. Sounds like you lost 8lbs in the last 5 weeks? That's a big weight loss, and it could just be your body adjusting. Other things to check are sodium, for water retention, eating below 1000 calories, or eating over your calorie TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Weight Loss is 85% Food 15% Exercise, so concentrate on your nutrition. Exercising will build strength, cardio, tone your body, and help lose inches so keep it up!
  • tschetter19
    Options
    I feel the exact same way.....I have been doing the elliptical everyday for over 2 weeks now. I have my calories set at 1200 then I usually burn 400-500 calories during my workout. I eat my 1200 plus a little more each day....yet nothing. The scale is showing no loss some days it even says I gained????
    I feel like I am trying so hard.....and for what????
    Any advice???
    Thanks Donna
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Try logging but not weighing for a couple of weeks. I was not seeing a movemnt due to being female :ohwell: then suddenly 4lb went - it was hiding behind the water retention!:wink:
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    . I've also been watching what I'm eating as much as I can (picky eater here!) & scaling down on portions.

You are either not eating enough, or too much. You may want to get/use a food scale and measuring cups and track your intake.

It takes time. Your ticker says 10lbs, and it's been 4 weeks (2.5 lbs per week). You will get there, it will take time and every ounce of patience you have.

I've lost 5 (as of today, 5.5) lbs since January 1st. Does it suck? You betcha! BUT I just need to breathe and keep doing what I'm doing and it will eventually move again!
  • CBrook04
    CBrook04 Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks for your advice & words. I try to avoid salt like the plague, haha! I know I have to be more patient but this is such a new territory to me. Just gotta keep reminding myself, "one day at a time, one day at a time".
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice & words. I try to avoid salt like the plague, haha! I know I have to be more patient but this is such a new territory to me. Just gotta keep reminding myself, "one day at a time, one day at a time".

Yes patience is the biggest part of weight loss, especially sustained weight loss! Don't get discouraged, just keep going and see how it works out. In your food diary you can make sure it also shows sodium - it's incredible how much sodium is in everyday foods - especially anything pre-made like deli meats, sauces, cheeses, etc. The American Heart Association recommends 1500mg a day, at least try and keep your under 2000 if you can. I'm having to watch my sodium so that's why I'm complaining about it. :tongue:

Also, inches vs weight. I had lost only 39lbs after 9 months of working with a trainer. But, I lost 90 inches - so keep going!
  • carmelbabe
    Options
    :smile: Well you said exactly what I was feeling! I just started consistently tracking food and exercise on MFP and eating the designated 1250 calories and tried to eat the extra cal's MFP said "I earned" but sometimes just wasn't hungry. Also, couldn't understand why I had to eat more on the days I exercised. I was happy with the 1250 or even 100 calories more so didn't replace all I burned. AND< I WAS AFRAID TO EAT MORE...always thought calories lost via exercise were a bonus to extra fat loss especially if one was limiting calories to 1200. Are you sure the calories you burn during exercise should be added back with heathy foods (veg/protein/fruit?)

I was disappointed when I measured after a week! No inches lost? I've been losing inches consistently for the past 2 months. So, why only show a .08 (8 10th of a pound) loss and NO inches lost? WHAT happened!?!? I don't get it. So, I stopped posting for a few days and tried to get myself rebooted to stay positive, keep exercising and post foods.

My mind says STOP posting and tracking the food and keep eating the protein/veggies/little fruit and heathy fats and exercise some and don't worry about the inch and lb loss needed.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Exercise can put on a surprising amount of water weight that can stick around awhile. Grab a tape measure and don't rely solely on the scale, it lies!

Also if you're working out very hard you might need at least one rest day a week. If you injure your joints it will put a stop to your workouts so it's best to be careful unless your trainer designed you an every day program that won't cause problems.
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way.....I have been doing the elliptical everyday for over 2 weeks now. I have my calories set at 1200 then I usually burn 400-500 calories during my workout. I eat my 1200 plus a little more each day....yet nothing. The scale is showing no loss some days it even says I gained????
    Any advice???
    Thanks Donna

1200 is a very low amount to be eating, trying upping your caloric intake to 1500 or 1600 for a few weeks a see what happens. sometimes you have to eat more to weigh less. if your body is feeling like it is not being given enough fuel it will hold onto your fat and save it for tomorrow when it thinks it will not be given enough again. if you fuel your body properly your body will do what its supposed to do and lose weight with healthy eating and exercising :) ....I am 5'2" and I eat at least 1500 every day (net) and sometimes eat up to 2000 calories a day and have been consistently losing almost 2 lbs/week for the last 2 months straight
  • munsterisque
    Options
    Give it 6 monthes. And you will see the results. 3 Weeks is nothing. Your body is still adjusting at this point and dropping water.
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Any advice???
    Thanks Donna

Eat more!!!!!! Your body needs the fuel for your workouts and you're not giving it enough. Check out the EM2WL group on here (eat more to weigh less) and use this site to get your correct calorie intake: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/