Best workout dvd's for extremely overweight.....suggestions?

Options

Replies

• VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Zumba and ufc trainer are my favs
  • trifona
    trifona Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Power 90 and then Power 90 Master Series
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    keep using the Leslie sansone Dvds and put more intensity into them. I too use her Dvds on occasion but now I jog instead of walk. try her interval walking program. it has walking and boosted walking (a.k.a. jogging) intervals. you can add light wrist weights or just get knees higher or kicks more powerful etc.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You could probably find something suitable at http://www.fitnessblender.com . They have over 100 workouts of all sorts, all free, and graded for level of difficulty.
  • neretete
    neretete Posts: 30
    Options
    I really think that it depends on the type of workout you like. I do the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD with some coworkers. That is a great way to get your body moving. I have the DVD that has 1, 2, 3, or 4 mile options. Also, I HATE to get up and work out (or really work out at all). I've tried tons of different programs, Pilates, weight training, etc. I finally discovered that I really like a combination that includes a little dancing. I rotate between Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam and Rockin' Body, all from Beachbody, depending on my mood. It wasn't until I doscovered these that I was actually able to convince myself to get out of bed!!!

The most important thing is to add ANY movement!!! Don't commit to a program that you are going to hate. As you get more fit you will doscover more and more things that you can do. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • ArielMelton
    ArielMelton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I was over 350 pounds, I did "chair aerobics" at home, which took strain off my knees. I can't remember the exact videos I had at the time but I took a quick look on Amazon and there are quite a few different ones there. I felt a little self-conscious at first (yes, even all alone in my own living room!) because I thought "this isn't a 'real' workout" but a) it's a start! and b) it's something I could do and that psychologically was really important, to think that I was doing *something* and lastly c) it really was a workout and got my heart rate going and my muscles stretched.

I had to work UP to the Leslie Sansone videos that you're already doing. :) You're on your way!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what your doing but add some weights or intensity to it. Don't push yourself to hard. When you feel ready, step it up to a little bit tougher, the Biggest Loser DVDs are sort of made for this (not Jillian Michaels or Bob on his own, but the actual Biggest Loser ones).
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I have 100+ lbs to lose but I've always been active. I am doing Insanity right now and it is INSANE but the way I look at it, is if I'm going to work out for 40 mins, I'm going to work out as HARD as I can. Some of the floor moves and push ups I can't do right now, so instead I'll do another move. It's just about how hard you want to push yourself. I know some people have issues where they can't do it, but if you can, I'd say stay safe and go hard.

Richard Simmons is a low impact workout that is fun. Zumba I always liked even though I have no rhythm.

Good luck and just keep moving.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I was doing ZUMBA on the Wii at 100 pounds overweight. But they have DVD's too. Now I'm doing the Leslie Sansone DVD's
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on good workout dvd's for me? I am more than 100 lb overweight and most of my exercise comes from brisk walking, step aerobics, and leslie sansone dvd's. I feel like I am getting stronger as I am exercising more and feel like I am capable of doing something a little more strenuous, any recommendations?

I started off with BL Power Sculpt. I was 300+ pounds.... try it! It's intense and a great work out! They have 3 levels, so when you feel you've hit the max on Level 1, add Level 2 and you'll definetly burn calories. You can get it on Amazon for like $5.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I remember Gliad-- loved those, and they are really good for people who are not very coordinated, like me!!
  • scwilson38
    scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Zumba and walking have been doing it for me. They are a total of 7 dvds. I started with Activate and they show you how to do the moves. I started doing 10 minutes of the 45 minute dvd. Now I do the whole dvd without the ques. I have lost 4 inches off my waist and 12 pounds so far. So excited.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts about Leslie Sansone - she's awesome! Also Chris Powell has the Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition Workout which is geared to all levels. I also like old school Sweating to the Oldies!
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i started out with around 100lb to lose doing Deanne Berry dvd's she has quite a few out although i don't think all of them are available in the US but some of them are, i really like them and still do them as you can lower or higher the intensity yourself, they all have a warm up and cool down of course then they all have 15 min aerobic, 15 mins of dance, 15 min of combat and 15 min of toning (legs, but and abs), i still do these dvd's in between insanity and i still get a great burn from them, i have just found that my fitness has improved so much i can make the workout a lot higher intensity. I find the workouts enjoyable and fun to good music and would highly recommend them to anyone.

I also find Zumba good too for a different but more fun workout.

There are so many to choose from it's hard to decide sometimes, but this is just what i have done and enjoy and has worked so far with just over 72lb down

Amazon have some of deanne berry's dvd's i personally own the clubland ones and a pump it up one i will invest in another new one soon just to mix it up a bit as they are affordable in comparisson to others
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    I've got plans to lose about the same amount. I've never loved to exercise, but now it just hurts more than it used to. So, you could try Sweating to the oldies!!! How can you go wrong with Richard Simmons? At least until you meet your halfway goal.. Then amp it up to some of the more intense dvd's that have been mentioned. I do a little beginning Taebo and walking, and then I free style & line dance to some remix dvd's with my teenager when I do workout....

You don't want to start off with something too difficult and
    1) possibly hurt yourself
    2) feel defeated because it's too intense and then give up

You've got this!! Best of luck
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    check out the fitness blender workouts on you tube...I love them because they offer a wide variety of workouts for all fitness levels!
  • hippikris
    hippikris Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I too have more than 100lbs to lose, I found that early on Richard Simmons Sweating to the oldies and such was a good way to start as far as vidoes and DVD's go. I know it is a bit out dated and silly, but they can actually be fun too. I also find that using the Elyptical is a good work out and It is not too terrible on the joints, atleast not for me.

Good luck.
  • shelley2shane
    shelley2shane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Chris Powell and Biggest Loser hands down!
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I too have more than 100lbs to lose, I found that early on Richard Simmons Sweating to the oldies and such was a good way to start as far as vidoes and DVD's go. I know it is a bit out dated and silly, but they can actually be fun too. I also find that using the Elyptical is a good work out and It is not too terrible on the joints, atleast not for me.

Good luck.

^^ My mother loves Sweatin' to the Oldies, too, and Leslie Sansone. Yes, silly, but they'll keep you moving, and even I think they're fun :)
  • krizti_denize
    krizti_denize Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Beachbody's Turbo Fire and Slim in 6 are great! Slim in 6 seemed the right level for me when I started working out.