How do you know if you are being scammed?

Options
missyj1115
missyj1115 Posts: 1,220 Member
Alright people we all I am sure understand that many people on here are
not who they claim to be right?? So how do you know if the person you are
actually interacting with is who they say they are?

Could this person really be the hottie you think they are OR could they be that creep
living in a dark basement somewhere thriving on pretending to be the person they are not!!

This site is great for encouragement and support but what about the internet scamers. The ones
out there that prey on the vulnerable... just telling the unsuspecting pawn in their game what they want to hear.
There is TONS of flirting going on around this site and I was just wondering if you all actually believe the
one you are flirting with are who they perceive to be or does it even matter to you?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    it's the internet, you are pretty much rolling the dice. I try to never get too deep before a physical meet and greet if things are of romantic nature, cause otherwise you are setting yourself for heartbreak.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Use your intuition, if you think you are being scammed you probably are.
    They say that your gut instincts are usually correct about this kind of stuff and societal norms/civility cause us to ignore instincts.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    This site is great for encouragement and support but what about the internet scammers.

What about them? Just like any other site, it's fair to reason that there are people here who aren't who they portray themselves to be. As long as you don't give out personal information or meet anyone in a dark alley, I can't see how you could get "scammed" in any way.

Can you send me your SS# so I know you're who you say you are? :laugh:
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    They say that your gut instincts are usually correct about this kind of stuff and societal norms/civility cause us to ignore instincts.

This^ Your gut is usually spot on.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Were here for fitness, not dating. IM MARRIED AN COULD CARE LESS, i just want the weightloss and fitness tips to work. THAT would tick me off if they were trying to make me FAT! lol
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

But i'm working on losing my gut! I'm willingly destroying my magic bs detector. in a few months, i will believe anything.
  • missyj1115
    Options

But i'm working on losing my gut! I'm willingly destroying my magic bs detector. in a few months, i will believe anything.
    [/quote]

:laugh:
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Could this person really be the hottie you think they are OR could they be that creep
    living in a dark basement somewhere thriving on pretending to be the person they are not!!

My basement is not dark!
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My rule for internet dating was never spend too much time on the flirting unless there was a physical meet and greet. Usually within 2 weeks. I'm busy!!!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I think if you've been on the internet for more than 20 minutes it'd be a lesson fast learned.

Or you'd hope. I'm continually amazed at the people who fall for Nigerian scammers.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I think if you've been on the internet for more than 20 minutes it'd be a lesson fast learned.

Or you'd hope. I'm continually amazed at the people who fall for Nigerian scammers.

And not only fall for them, but absolutely REFUSE to believe the truth, no matter how many facts are thrown their way. It's really insane.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    You are all fake! How do I know this isn't a catfish thread?
  • missyj1115
    Options

And not only fall for them, but absolutely REFUSE to believe the truth, no matter how many facts are thrown their way. It's really insane.

Agreed.... Send me money!!! WHAT.. oh honey do not even get me started with that one!!!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I chose my friends here on their commitment to health. If they don't log in regularly and aren't in Iraq, they are gone pretty quick. They also get extra points for being funny. If someone in a basement in his shorts is trying to flirt with me or scam me all I can say is good luck. I wasn't born yesterday and I wasn't born yesterday.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I usually assume it's a dude wearing a wig but looks good doing it.

Unless I'm proven otherwise.
  • afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    l-o-v-e- this!

that was a freaky film....
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I wonder if half the fat-old blokes are actually lithe twenty-something girls 'pretending' so people treat them differently!

In the end, 'in real life' or on the internet I'll treat people as they behave.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    It's always a risk on the internet. I learned my lesson back on AOL 4.0.

Now there is http://www.tineye.com/ and copying and pasting image URLs into google and doing and image search. It will pick up as many times that image is used as it can. Then you can kind of piece together a little bit.

But, I flirt with unattractive people anyway. :wink:
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    It's always a risk on the internet. I learned my lesson back on AOL 4.0.

Now there is http://www.tineye.com/ and copying and pasting image URLs into google and doing and image search. It will pick up as many times that image is used as it can. Then you can kind of piece together a little bit.

But, I flirt with unattractive people anyway. :wink:

***changes profile pic into cookie monster***
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

What? That Nigerian rich guy is a scammer? But, but....All I have to do is deposit his check and pray like hell it doesn't bounce and drain me dry. :laugh:

Seriously? For me, it's just the Interwebz. I take pretty much everything with a grain of salt. I even met my husband the old fashioned way...