Do you tell everyone?

Options
1235»

Replies

• CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have made a Point to tell all of my family, coworkers, friends and Facebook about my "Lifestyle Change" This way, I Will Not allow myself to be a failure! I will succeed in my weight loss and get healthier! I have been going at it for 70days straight and continue to do so until I reach my goal or finally feel comfortable with myself, no matter how hard, repetitive or tiring it may be!
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I dont generally tell people. I certainly didnt when I first started but since then 22% of me has fallen away so it is a little hard not to notice.

I have friends that I see regularly and they all know.

I have lots of friends that live overseas and only 2 of them know because I wanted some advice from them

I have friends in the UK that I havent seen for a while. I tend to warn them in advance of meeting them now because I have had a couple of occasions where I have met them and they havent recognised me. I think warning them lessens the shock :)

My closest friends are all extremely supportive and I am very thankful for them!!
  • freebird777
    Options
    This is my 2nd time trying to lose weight. The first time I kept it a secret from basically everyone except my mom haha. This time around, I made a point to call/email EVERYONE in my life that I love and am close to, and told them my plan. I knew by getting it out in the open I would be helping myself. Now everyone is aware, they're all super supportive, they don't awkwardly ask me why I'm not eating more lasagna or ice cream at social functions, and its awesome. Plus if I feel tempted or discouraged I can pick up the phone and call any one of them.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I told no one, only the people in my house knew because I go to the gym at god awful hours.
  • MandyP155
    Options
    I only tell my friends and family who will not judge me if I eat a piece of B-Day cake. I do not tell my Mom who has literaly slapped my hand when I tried to grab a Dorito from a bowl on her counter. I said: Moderation! She said: I am only tring to help! So needless to say, I carefully choose who I tell. :) Good luck!
  • JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I let pretty much everyone know. It helps me solidify my commitment. If there is someone who I feel would add "toxic" energy to my efforts (for me that's someone who REALLY sticks their nose in as if I'm 3 and they're my mother), I try to avoid telling that person.
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't make a point of telling people, but I don't hide it either. If you tell people, it can be helpful to keep you accountable, but it also opens you up to alot of opinions that you never asked for. Ultimately I just do my own thing and if people ask me about it I'm more than happy to share.

SAME! Ive lost 15 lbs..and I dont think anyone has even noticed LOL
  • LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I tell those who matter to me, because their support is what i need, especially since i need to be with them most of the times. Usually, they tend to help you. ...........

This and let everyone else figure it out or ask :laugh:
  • Fat_Lenny
    Fat_Lenny Posts: 38
    Options
    I know people who post all over facebook about their weight loss, it works for them because I think they want to make themselves accountable, plus others can spur them on with motivation. I personally wouldn't do that because if I didn't reach a certain goal by a certain time, I would feel I'd let myself down and everyone would know it. I don't want to annoy everyone with every tiny update on pounds lost or gained. I'm doing it just for me. A few close friends and family do know I'm losing weight, but I never say I'm dieting (it sounds too temporary to me) I tell them I'm making changes to my lifestyle.

Determined to commit myself for the long haul. The friends/family I have told are very supportive. I have marathon runners in my family so it feels like a lot to live up to, and I doubt I'll do anything like that but we all try to inspire each other. I worry that if I told too many people, I'd be bombarded with unsolicited advice and then if people don't see a physical change in me, they might secretly be judging, thinking I'm not trying. Flippant comments like "should you be eating that?" and "I thought you'd have lost more than that by now" would do my head in!
  • BethBent
    BethBent Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I initially thought Do you tell everyone? I thought you meant on mfp. In my personal life, I tell when asked. I am not a very open person about me.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I like to keep things private, but to each their own. Although I do think with facebook, etc in some cases the 'talking' about it can become to some people more important than 'doing' it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Unless people ask I don't mention anything.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    IT SUCKS KIND OF. THE HATERS WILL WATCH YOU LIKE A HAWK WHEN YOU EAT SOWMETHING " NON DIET" ...OR SARCASTIC REMARKS ARE THROWN...OR WHEN YOU SAY " I LOST X AMOUNT OF POUNDS" AND THEY SAY OH REALLY???? WITH A CRAZY LOOK LOL LOL
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It depends on the ppl you share with...I have learned that NOT everyone will be helpful, happy, and/or supportive...surround yourself with those that will aid you in your journey.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't make a point of telling people, but I don't hide it either. If you tell people, it can be helpful to keep you accountable, but it also opens you up to alot of opinions that you never asked for. Ultimately I just do my own thing and if people ask me about it I'm more than happy to share.

SAME! Ive lost 15 lbs..and I dont think anyone has even noticed LOL

HAHAHAH SAME HERE, I HAD LOST 12 AND WHEN ASKED I ANSWERED, AND THEY ANSWERED BACK...OH ...I CAN TELL...A LITTLE...YET MY SIZE 13 PANTS ARE SUPER BAGGY AND I NOW FIT IN TO MY 12'S & 10'S LOL OOOHHHKAY...LAST TIME I MENTIONED IT. ONLY ANSWER WHEN ASKED. LEARNED THE HARD WAY.

OOH NOT TO MENTION THE PERSON THAT GAVE THE RUDE COMMENT, IS A PERSON THAT COMPLAINS ABOUT HER WEIGHT DAILY AND ON TOP OF THAT HAS NO SHAPE TO HER BODY AT ALL, EVEN IF I AM OVERWEIGHT, ATLEAST I HAVE A NICE SHAPE TOI MYSELF...THE NERVE! LOL
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I did but if I had a redo, I wouldn't talk about it, EVER, unless I was asked. E.V.E.R.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I don't, cause I hate hearing other people talk about how much weight they want to lose, or what they ate today, or how they want to start going back to the gym. Yawn. I get drawn into enough of those conversations as it is because people notice my weight loss.

I'm also anti nosy questions like "how much more are you trying to lose?" and "what do you eat and how much do you work out?" so I try to avoid that whenever possible. Yeah it's cool sometimes if we're close friends, but I get this stuff from coworkers and casual acquaintances and it's really not their business.

At this point it's pretty well known that I'm losing weight, but I typically don't bring it up outside of "can we maybe meet at a different restaurant, deep dish pizza isn't really my thing at the moment"
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yep... then, I'm not tempted (accountability), and I also find that I'm not offered things either. It's much easier to resist a cookie if it isn't offered!
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Close friends and family, who eat with me sometimes, know. Others, no. I've done this so often over so many years (I'm 67), lose and gain, lose and gain, that it is at the same time boring and embarrassing, to me and to them.
  • ninessential
    Options
    In the past when I decided to tell people that were physically around me that I was going to lose weight I'd always fall through on my word. I think the key is to tell people who have similar goals in mind or have achieved as such or actually care. For me, I'd tell coworkers and I know they could really care less. I'd always feel so much pressure and I'd cave. This time I'm keeping this quite personal and not so out there about it to those kind of people. But I definitely share my experience with MFP. Now I know no one around me is going to really push me and I can only do it myself. Who cares what they think when they've shown to me how they are and I don't need that negativity or distraction getting in the way of my goals. Losing weight is more tougher as a mental struggle than a physical IMO.