How do I stop being so nervous about going to the gym?

Options
I joined a gym online on Friday...and I almost went yesterday...but then there were these kids standing outside the place and they were making fun of everybody and I got back in the car like "nope not today!" I need to STOP doing that. I hate that I'm so shy about things, but I need to know, how do you stop being that way?

Replies

• hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym online on Friday...and I almost went yesterday...but then there were these kids standing outside the place and they were making fun of everybody and I got back in the car like "nope not today!" I need to STOP doing that. I hate that I'm so shy about things, but I need to know, how do you stop being that way?

Pretend you own the place.
    As you walk toward those kids, pick one and stare him down. I can almost guarantee they will not hold your gaze and will sheepishly look away. I do this to kids in the hallway at the school where I teach or at the mall if they're being jerks; it matters not if they know you, they will usually back down. They are still children, after all.
    If they talk smack on you after you walk inside, who cares? They almost certainly will, because they will have looked weak in front of their friends for not returning your steely glare and they will have to make up for that.

If they say anything negative at all to you, tell the front desk and insist that they be run off.

In short, empower yourself. :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the anticipation is the worst part. Once you go a few times and get a feel for the flow of the gym and where everything is, you won't be uncomfortable. I am the same way. I have terrible social anxiety. Walking into a huge room full of people that I don't know freaks me out, but the more you do it, the better it gets. I guarantee once you get day 1 over, it will get better. Put your headphones on walk in, scan your card and do your thing. Don't let anyone intimidate you. Punch those kids in the face (not really)
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Invite a friend along to the gym.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Let's say they are there everyday doing the same thing. How long before you actually get fed up with it that you'll actually ignore it? You probably won't wait long. Point is, you'll end up bypassing them when you're fed up. Start today.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laynerdm
    laynerdm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up for being nervous. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week and I'm still nervous every time I walk in. It seems like everyone there is in better shape than I am. But I won't, I refuse to let the nervous win. I only get this one body for this one lifetime and I have to make it count.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that it's ok to be nervous. And you can bet that there are other people in that gym who feel the same way. I agree with the other respondent that you have to act like you own the place; eventually your inner self will agree with it.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym for years and I don't really pay attention to anyone in the gym and I don't think many other people do either. I go there to workout, I put on my headphones and zone out.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    Don't beat yourself up for being nervous. I go to the gym 3-5 times a week and I'm still nervous every time I walk in. It seems like everyone there is in better shape than I am. But I won't, I refuse to let the nervous win. I only get this one body for this one lifetime and I have to make it count.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that it's ok to be nervous. And you can bet that there are other people in that gym who feel the same way. I agree with the other respondent that you have to act like you own the place; eventually your inner self will agree with it.

Me too. I joined a women only gym and I'm still nervous. Yah just have to go.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you were going into the hospital for life-saving surgery, would you turn around and leave just because some bozos were standing in front harrassing people? If not, think of going to the gym as life-saving surgery!
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You stop being nervous by taking a deep breath and forcing yourself to walk in there with your head held high. That's the first step :]

Then you think about how stupid those kids are going to feel when they realize they've been standing outside a gym poisoning themselves by being negative while all the rest of us have been going there to do the work and walk out more healthy and positive.

When you go into a gym, most people aren't going to notice you. Really. The only ones who are there to make fun of people are the ones who have terrible insecurity. Everyone else will see you and say "Good for her"

Because everyone starts somewhere.

It's so okay to be nervous. But you have to make yourself do it anyway! Overcoming obstacles is part of growing as a person, I'm sure you know that :p

To this day, I think about the day I first walked into a gym (I was shaking I was so nervous) as a HUGE turning point in my life. That was the moment I decided to say screw everyone else, this is about -me-. It was when I decided that my health was so much more important than worrying about what other people thought about me.

Each time I walked in there it got easier and easier :]
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    header.png
    1.jpg
    2.jpg