Other people's negative attitudes towards dieting

Options
13»

Replies

• mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Ignore the criticisms and advice of these people because they don't have a bunch of letters after their name qualifying them as any kind of experts. Just smile, say thank you, and move on! I have to do this all of the time.
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    I am recovering from an eating disorder and I have actually gotten thinner after stopping with binging and purging. I am still hearing negative comments about my size. I am 114 lbs at 5 foot 5. I am eating 6 times per day-- obviously small, low calorie items. I still exercize 6 days a week, because it makes me feel good mentally and physically. I often decline junk food, because I know that one taste is likely to trigger a binge. I need to stay on track and I am not dieting to lose weight. I am eating carefully to find a comfortable balance. Don't listen to other people's crap. Do what is right for you.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Haters always have to say stupid stuff, i wouldnt dumb down when they comment, i would just say something like " I choose to not be fat anymore" if they were calling me an anorexic....and if they say " what are you trying to say' I would then say "come on ( in a condescending voice) I dont studder" lol
  • nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i hear you... when i turn down a piece of cake ppl tell me 'oh nothing is going to happen for a piece of cake"; it really bothers me because that attitude is what has got me overweight!

This is so true; it's really what almost everyone says when you politely decline a treat or don't take a second helping of some special dish. It's so easy to rationalize overeating; there are so many special occasions, exceptions, and celebrations that create such a slippery slope to overindulgence on a constant basis!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    ya, I get this all the time, if im with my friends, they threaten to shove food down my throat if I only eat a small sandwich and a couple chips (i eat just to be polite, id rather eat my own foods) then I dont eat cake and I get, "really, c'mon, its albertsons cake with whipped frosting, you're already so skinny" now im vegetarian, and my mom keeps trying to convince me chicken and fish are vegetarian foods :huh:

the food shoving thing has actually happened to me! and that friend thought the things were "healthy" too because they contained a thin strip of apple! they were loaded with crap! Forgive me for not wishing to poison my body with something I wont even enjoy. I prefer to enjoy my "non-clean" foods with things that I'll really savor and appreciate, not choke on and forced down my throat without a taste!

And OP: Honestly, sometimes you might have to be a little rude. I know it's hard, but as with any other circumstance in life, no means NO. If people don't want to accept that, perhaps they need a firmer, louder, clearer NO THANK YOU.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I know. I hear "diets don't work" all the time. Yes they do. What doesn't work is not paying attention to my diet.

I always say, it's not a diet, it's a life style change. Forever. However, when I am not paying attention, it doesn't work. :wink:

Ignore the peanut gallery. Do it for yourself.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Negativity. Its a nasty one. My in-laws (mother-in-law, father-in-law, sisters-in-law), who are all overweight and weigh about 50 to 250 lbs more than me (I weigh 230 lb right now and am proud to say am getting fit and losing weight) ragged on me for years. I say this about my in-laws because before I moved to my husband's hometown and away from my family, I was overweight but not outrageously for my height and only weighed about 155 to 160. Once I moved here, they plied me with high fat sugar laden food, it would make me sick everytime I ate at their house because I was never raised on high fatty foods. They would actually guilt me and my husband into eating. Trying to be accepted in the family, I did what I had to do to try to be accepted. Now 9.5 years later I'm wayyyyy overweight, struggling to get it down, working out as often as I can, exercising better portion control but wanna know something, they never did accept me. I started to read a Jillian Michael's book recently and I'm discovering that I have to ignore them, concentrate on me, where do I see myself now, in 5 years, in 10 years, what is my plan for life because after all its my plan not theirs, its my life not theirs. They don't pay for my clothing, my mortgage, my food bills, they don't sit at my desk for 40 hours a week, shouldn't I be, NO, am I not worth more than that? I am. My husband and I have come to terms with their negativity and decided that we are going to live for ourselves, we have mapped a life plan, are putting money away to achieve our goals and unfortunately have made the decision that because of how their negativity affects our lives, we have to separate ourselves from them because its not healthy. My husband's family (both sides) have severe depression issues and we've discussed triggers with our family doctor, we are so lucky to have a great doctor who really cares for us and is helping us, and he's even suggested to avoid our triggers which is my husband's family. Its a hard thing to do but you know, we're now happier, we're sccessful in our weight loss, we built a house, we camp, we travel, we're doing things that we were held back from doing. I think it takes a lot of digging down and finally making realizations that other people's opinions are just that, their opinions. Its hard to make decisions of how to deal with it, what works for one person doesn't always work for another person. We are lucky that we have other friends and family who are choosing to embrace our lifestyle, be happy for us, encourage us, its hard to let go of those people who drag you down but sometimes you do what you gotta do. My health is more important.
  • dinkydudette
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear I'm not the only one getting this reaction. You all have great things to say though...
    ...especially this>>>
    Yep.....but ya know what?
    Haters_zpsf41c97e3.gif

Keep on keeping on, girlie!
  • dinkydudette
    Options
    "No thanks, I had shwarma for brunch"

Brilliant! I'm using that one.
  • electricello
    electricello Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    By the way, for a decade or so, I totally bought into the idea that if I stopped being crazy about food and allowed myself to eat whatever I was craving as long as I was hungry, my body would settle at the weight it was genetically destined to be. What a crocka! Turns out that I have a hard time telling the difference between hunger and appetite, and my body didn't crave things I really needed - like broccoli. My cravings were more of the trail mix and chocolate type. Yeh - like I really need cup after cup of that stuff every day.

I'm a big believer in letting my brain be my guide when it comes to my diet. My "intuition" is a sadistic *****.

This. I can relate so well with what you are saying, I crave the chocolate over greens, too! I have to control what I put into my own body, because no one else knows what it's like to live in mine. I have never been accused of being skinny, but I certainly can be accused of not giving a care, and only making my weight problem worse. Letting your decisions about food be logical takes practice, but it can be done.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i just tell people i'm not hungry. no one questions that.

but yeah, it seems the people who are the most unhealthy are the ones criticizing. just jealousy i guess. jealous they don't have the strength to fight through it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

I feel like I need to make up lies in order to stop the constant lecturing and criticism, maybe telling them I'm allergic to an ingredient or something?

Or just tell them to mind their own business?¬