do you avoid tempting food places like buffets

Options
I have been going to buffets and church dinners which are the worse, last night lasagna and cake. You have to have a lot of self control at these places. I think well it is worth it because my weight is down but then I get resentful of these other people eating all this stuff. I have to accept my genes and I will always have to watch my weight but do ya stay away from these places or are you able to deal.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have to accept my genes and I will always have to watch my weight

lol
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I don't... but I don't usually eat that much compared to what others can pack down at those places... unless it's Chinese. Anyway... Eat Salad and maybe some fruit first, drink some water and you won't have so much room for all the other stuff.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them because they are a part of life. I feel that if I want this weight loss to be life long, I have to learn to live with buffets and dinners out, not avoid them. Part of that is the social aspect- if we are planning an evening out for a friend's birthday and she wants to go to a buffet, am I really going to stay home? The answer is no.

So I pre-plan my meal before I go. I look at the menu, figure out the calories, and enjoy.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If someone else is paying, I am there! Otherwise, I will probably choose something else. I do find a lot of commercial buffets have food that I would eat, and then it's all about portions.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am avoiding them for now. I don't want to be tempted. I think I am strong enough to control myself, but I rather not put myself in a situation where I might fall off the wagon, so to speak.
  • Kelin
    Kelin Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them because I can't. Family and social gatherings always involve food (at least mine do). So I either pick the best options available and keep track of calories mentally (or pull out my phone and get on MFP and tally them up really quick) or I always have a protein bar stashed in my purse that I can eat in an emergency. For me if I have one "bad" meal its like falling off the wagon and I loose control. So if I don't allow myself to cheat at functions like that and it keeps me on target.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    What I try to do is plan ahead for things like that, and then do more excercise on that day so I can eat without going overboard or worrying about calories too much, especially if I know I'm going to be somewhere where there aren't a lot of healthy options (like the Chinese buffet!). I'll also have an apple and a big glass of water first, so I'll feel fuller before I eat. Usually buffets have salad bars and vegetable dishes, so I try to stick with those. And if I do fall off the wagon or go over, I try not to beat myself up over it too much.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I avoid them like the plague. I get physically ill just thinking about all of that food and the gluttony that goes with it. UGH.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've only been to a buffet once in my life, and that was when I was eleven. We really don't have them where I live, and I'm glad we don't! No one needs that much food.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I simply seldom patronize them as the tendency can be to completely overdo it. However this upcoming Easter Sunday it looks like our extended family is going to spend the day visiting the zoo and then probably hitting a local buffet for dinner afterwards. If we do hit the buffet, I'll first hit the salad station, make myself a very large salad with lots of veggies and a small amount of lite dressing (avoiding toppings like cheese and meat as well as passing on side salads that are likely swimming in mayonnaise). After that perhaps see what grilled meats they have and remove the skins from any chicken I take. Will completely pass on dessert.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I plan special events, there is no getting around that. I haven't been to many buffets since I started this journey but not because I've been avoiding them, it's more because we don't eat at them often. Though if my vacation in hawaii had lasted longer and I had more money, that seafood buffet would have been my go to EVERY DAMN DAY :-)
  • kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i don't avoid them. we never went that often to begin with and when we go now i enjoy myself and record everything i ate. if i know in advance that i'm going i'll do some extra workouts before and after to minimize the additional calorie load for that day.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have to avoid Chinese buffets and wing places they are my weakness.
  • proton77
    proton77 Posts: 409
    Options
    I try to avoid them during my P90X workout and only had been to the sushi buffet twice. In the past few weeks, I've been going to golden corral like once a week or so. It’s a matter of knowing what your body needs, what your calorie budget is and staying accountable. I know that my body needs 50% protein (about 235g) , 30% carb (about 125g) and 20% fat. I made sure I stayed away from the fatty food and food with high sugar content, as usual. And I can proudly say that "I go to buffet and still lose weight/fat"! LOL
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I avoid buffets because I've completed a number of very in-depth food safety courses and.. ewww. hah.

But no, I don't avoid locations or parties or restaurants where I know there will be "tempting" food. I have my goals in mind, and I make my food choices based on them. If I am trying to avoid alcohol, yes, I have to stay away entirely. I'm a lush.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid locations because I'm able to control myself. Stop blaming buffets, they have done nothing to you.

..and as a side note from some of your other posts, you seem resentful of a lot of people that eat yummy food. Just in general. That's no good either.
  • ejbraun
    ejbraun Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid them because they are a part of life. I feel that if I want this weight loss to be life long, I have to learn to live with buffets and dinners out, not avoid them. Part of that is the social aspect- if we are planning an evening out for a friend's birthday and she wants to go to a buffet, am I really going to stay home? The answer is no.

So I pre-plan my meal before I go. I look at the menu, figure out the calories, and enjoy.

This! ^
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have to accept my genes and I will always have to watch my weight

lol

I must have missed something. What's funny about that?
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Nope, with my pockets lined I walk in strutting my stuff.
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that if I start out with a good 8-12 oz. of whatever decent protein I can find at such events and take my time eating it, by the time I go looking for anything else to finish off the meal the sweet treats and pastas and breads and such are no longer singing a siren song. Then I can pick and choose what will best fit the rest of my macros and be really satisfying. And I'm ok with not having any of the rest of it, because my own meal was not only good but good for me.