Emotional Breakdown at Yoga

Options

Replies

• Guillotined
    Guillotined Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't know much about yoga, but I have taken pilates a couple times. The instructor corrected me a few times as well. While no one wants to be called out, its good that you're getting shown attention. I'm sure her only intentions were to help you and make sure you don't hurt yourself, etc. As for the feeling your fat rolls and not being flexible.... its EXACTLY how I felt too, but it was only a reminder to me to keep pushing. Im 6'3 220lbs so I know I'll never be able to roll myself up and fit into little croissant packages like the other girls could but that's alright =] the fat will go away over time though.

Most of all, all physical activities are going to have a hump you'll have to get over. So just remember that everyone went through it, and have fun. :bigsmile:
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    As others have said yoga is about YOUR practice, everyone is focusing on themselves in class or they should be. It's better that the instructor was correcting you, that means you will get better faster. I don't like classes where the instructor just calls out poses and never makes any corrections on what anyone is doing.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yoga is amazing, so please don't let one bad experience ruin it for you.

I've never tried the Bikram version and probably never will, but I've done yoga for years and absolutely love it. If you end up not being able to make friends with Bikram yoga, try another version would be my suggestion.

I personally took a couple basic classes, got a few DVDs and am currently following my own routine I put together on the Simply Yoga app.

The fabulous thing about yoga is that you can so highly modulate it according to your own body's needs and your own mental/emotional benefit. It really is amazing, and one class really tells you nothing much at all (except that you're a bit out of shape, obviously).
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yoga, but it's not as easy as it might look (obviously). I used to do it fairly often, but quit for several years and now I'm having to re-learn it all. I may know the poses, but my body doesn't and it rebels something awful. If you practice yoga daily, your flexibility will increase in no time. After just a few sessions, you'll notice a difference. Also, most yoga instructors offer to teach modified poses for beginners. Did you ask the instructor about that?

By the way, I've never tried Bikram. I bet it's pretty intense. Maybe you could try something a little more low-key.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yoga is different from every other workout we normally do. Like you listed the things you usually do, it's just kind of a mesh of cardio and strength training. Yoga is on a completely different solar system from those areas of fitness.

You can be SO strong and have GREAT cardiovascular endurance and SUCK at yoga!! No joke!!

But if you KEEP TRYING at yoga, and go like once a week (even if you are TOTALLY FAILING every single time) You will slowly but surely improve over time - AND - get this - you will find that the benefits from Yoga will positively effect the other areas of your fitness too!

I totally suck at yoga, but I go once a week, and I've been SLOOOOOWLY getting better over time, and I've noticed the benefits in my strength training and cardio. You just have to be okay with the fact that your form will NOT look like the instructors' form, and THAT'S OKAY. Just do what YOU can do. The fact that you're THERE means you WIN. So don't worry about it! Just participate to the best of your ability. :)
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My first ever hot yoga class was a Power Vinyasa class, I felt like an idiot in that class. However, I was sore for two days after it. I have gone every Saturday four 4 weeks and now I find myself practicing some of the positions at home. I absolutely love it, but it does take some time.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I tried a number of yoga classes before I found the right one. I am overweight and inflexible and in regular yoga classes (ones that weren't specifically for beginners but stated beginners welcome) I would be dripping sweat by the second downward dog and wanting to leave. It was frustrating to the point of being both infuriating and defeating. As much as yoga appealed to me, I walked away. Then I found the right class for me.

It is truly a beginners class utilizing blocks, bolsters, blankets, straps and all sorts of modifiers. The point of the class is to train you body and mind, get you comfortable with the poses, etc. The class is spent improving maybe three or four total poses, taking time and small steps and modifiers until each pose is achieved before moving on to the next. No seemingly endless rounds of sun salutations, no falling behind the class and feeling terrible. I would recommend you call around to various yoga studios and see if you can't find a class like this.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Yoga is something that looks easy but isn't. Not even for more conditioned people like me. I'm not too outta shape and Jillian Micheals yoga meltdown is a challenge for me. I can't do all of level 1 yet.

So just consider it as a new skill you are learning and improving on. It has less to do with your physical appearance and more with experience & "practice".
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Emotional breakdown....I walk home after yoga once and split up with my then husband of 8 years. Clarity over came me in class.
    Best decision of my life. Period!

All that aside, there's something body, mind and spirit in yoga that I have never worked out. Don't fight it, just practice and enjoy.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you really pushed yourself to keep up on the poses. Congrats on your determination! If you really like yoga and want to continue, you could try an easier form of yoga and then work your way up to bikram. I do the gentler yogas (hatha and kundalini) and feel so refreshed afterward. If you're set on doing bikram, keep at it and enjoy the learning process. The flexibility will come. Don't feel bad about getting emotional during class. They're a natural part of life.
  • Bbuser51
    Bbuser51 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would get a video or something, Daily burn is really good, and practice the positions and go back when you feel more confident.
    Dont't give up!
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Emotional breakdown....I walk home after yoga once and split up with my then husband of 8 years. Clarity over came me in class.
    Best decision of my life. Period!

All that aside, there's something body, mind and spirit in yoga that I have never worked out. Don't fight it, just practice and enjoy.

Talk about clarity! What type of yoga were you doing?
  • bailann
    bailann Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga somewhat regularly for a year and the hot yoga TERRIFIES me. I have regular yoga class days that make me feel useless - I can't imagine what would happen if I tried Bikhram - good for you for trying! I would try regular yoga so you can learn the posses and then go back to try hot yoga :)
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm with several on here. . . yoga is meant to be spiritual, what it may have done is got you to connect with your feelings (and yes, it's hard as H#LL!) But work with it, not against it. I'm very good at it, have cracked up at myself sometimes in how horrible I am at some of the more advanced poses, but I too, at one time broke down. Great class, went really well, started focusing and breathing like instructor said and next thing I know, I was crying---all sorts of thinks appeared in my mind. I think the instructor noticed it (during time with eyes closed) and walked over in front of me and continued the mantra. . . but it was if he was doing it directly at me because he knew something 'happened'. . . I am not 'new age-y' by any accounts and I use to laugh at people who swore by yoga, but I'm telling you, there is something about it if you really let yourself into it. There is a reason it has been around for centuries. Don't let your weight stop you, continue on with it, you will be glad you did.
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options
    This is exactly why I think people in general do a disservice by classifying yoga as "easy." It's hard. Don't ever walk in thinking you will walk away unchallenged! (Not saying the OP did that...she clearly did some preparation and was still caught off guard.)

To the OP--I am glad to see you are going back..this could be quite a breakthrough for you!! Yoga releases a LOT of emotions, especially the ones we might not want to confront.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I weigh 229 and I do Bikram! Trust me, you will get better at it. You will start to feel great too.

I just want to add that some of the heart openers can bring up a lot of feelings and emotions. It's so important to breathe and let go.
  • PrincessKittenpants
    Options
    I have not done Bikram but I practice Hot Yoga and the first few times I was very frustrated. My frustration was not so much that somewhere along the way I gained weight and could feel every little squish but the feelings that were associated with the practice. Once I focused more on my breathe I stopped caring about how flexible I was or if I have to go into childs pose, yet again. My practice is about me and my spiritual journey whatever that may be. I agree with info_nrs there is just something about Yoga that opens up every cell in your body and you just react to it. Good luck in your journey and feel free to add me if you would like extra support!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Bikram is considered by many to be the most intense form of yoga, the P90X of the yoga world. As a newbie, you may be best off working in other yoga variations for a while. They are still plenty challenging and instructors in those practice areas tend to have a very supportive and gentle nature about them.
  • Shauncho49
    Shauncho49 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! Yoga is HARD! Anyone who says it isn't a workout has never done it before or is already in the best shape they will ever be. Don't give up, never give up! like all things it takes practice to get good at. I feel the inability to make certain poses has little to do with the hindrance of external body fat and rather the lack of elasticity of the muscles and other tissue inside. I started doing more stretching and couldn't reach my toes standing up. after a few months of doing it every morning I was finally able to touch my toes...with the same fat still attached to me. The body fat will move out of the way...it's your muscles that are resisting the pose...which is what yoga is meant to do, finding natural resistance in your body.

but really, I'm clearly no expert...I just know what I've felt in my body and am hoping to use my personal experience to encourage you to keep up with it if it's something you really want to do. Yoga is extremely healthy and a GREAT way to improve your body's flexibility which will help with other exercise in the future.
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    As anyone who has ever done Bikram regularly knows, there is no worse feeling than going through your first class, but that second class.. absolute awesomeness. Honestly, it's best to do the second one as soon after the first one as possible. Glad you are planning on going back, it will be completely worth it.

^^THIS