Protein shakes

Options
I have been wondering for a while but never asked about protein shakes. I see a lot of people in the gym drinking them and also in people's food diarys on MFP. What I'm wanting to know is:

Is it used just to build muscle?

Is it used as a meal replacement or as a top up?

Is it something you have only when training excessively?

Would you recommend it?

Replies

• alopez2011
    Options
    wondering the same thing
  • ve022
    ve022 Posts: 21
    Options
    I use it as a supplement to my breakfast. I do not naturally eat enough protien within a day, so this is a way to help boost it. Due to the fact that I have issues hitting NORMAL protein levels, it keeps things a bit more even.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    it's a supplement. you really only NEED it if you can't get enough protein from whole foods - say for instance a vegetarian who doesn't eat any meat or fish. personally i sometimes use them as meal replacements in smoothies. but you could eat a chicken breast after your work out and ditch the protein shake, if that's your preference.
  • Oakley82
    Oakley82 Posts: 53
    Options
    I use it as a supplement to my breakfast. I do not naturally eat enough protien within a day, so this is a way to help boost it. Due to the fact that I have issues hitting NORMAL protein levels, it keeps things a bit more even.

Same for me. I don't care for much meat (blasphemy, I know). so it just helps me get protein! I drink one in the AM.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    They can be used for a variety of reasons.... to increase protein intake, as a meal replacement (but then it wouldn't be a protein shake as it would have a variety of other stuff in it in addition to the protein), to help fuel workouts, to help with adherence, etc etc etc.

I'd recommend them if you need help hitting your daily protein goal. I'd also recommend them if they help you adhere to your daily calories. Aside from that, the average MFPer doesn't need them.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Should be used ONLY as a supplement. NOT for your main source of protien. Eat enough MEAT, eggs, nuts etc....and you wont have to use that stuff. I have never used it and never will.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shakes. I can get enough protein without them but they make it easier. I usually have them as a post-workout snack, but sometimes I drink them as breakfast.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I drink one in the morning before I work out. I can't work out after eating, but I don't want to work out on an empty stomach. I'm not drinking it to build muscle. I think it's a matter of personal choice. I also prefer to make my own rather than the somewhat suspicious looking ones at the gym snack bar.

ETA: I am a vegetarian who is able to get enough protein from non meat sources. I eat a variety of plant based proteins as well as beans/nuts and eggs.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I feel like I do eat a lot of animal protein- eggs and bacon every morning, chicken every lunch. However, I really don't eat dinner because I eat a lot of my calories for breakfast and lunch and then get back from the gym around 8:00 and don't want to eat a huge dinner before I go to bed. My protein shake is the absolute best thing to have at this time because it isn't so filling that I am stuffed going to bed, but it also satisfies my hunger. I also am eating 120g of protein daily and would have a hard time hitting that if I didn't have a daily protein shake. I LOVE it.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,502 Member
    Options
    I have one post-workout to help my muscles recover. Without it, I would be crippled on Monday mornings. :smile:
  • septbride2
    septbride2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I drink them fairly often. I workout a lot and am a vegetarian so I use them to get more protein in my diet. Whey protein if I drink one post-workout, casein protein if I have one before bed as a snack.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I drink one in the morning before I work out. I can't work out after eating, but I don't want to work out on an empty stomach. I'm not drinking it to build muscle. I think it's a matter of personal choice. I also prefer to make my own rather than the somewhat suspicious looking ones at the gym snack bar.

I do use mine to help preserve my muscle, but I completely agree about making your own. Drinking already made protein shakes can hold all sorts of sugars and carbs and other additives you weren't aware of. Get some protein powder and try out some different recipes for yourself :) I use 1 scoop optimum whey chocolate powder, half of a frozen banana, .5c almond milk and some ice. Comes out like a milkshake. MMMMM
  • vals83
    vals83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I drink one in the morning to jump start my metabolism.

Another as a snack (never as a meal replacement)

and then another after my workout because your muscles need protein for the recovery and it buys me time to cook my dinner/breakfast (depending on when I'm working out). And You shouldn't wait too long after a workout to feed yourself or else your body will start burning the muscle.

What you're probably seeing at the gym is people drinking creatine. Which gives your muscles the energy during the workout. We naturally produce but a lot of people who are working to build muscle consume extra.
  • Jamtart9
    Jamtart9 Posts: 13
    Options
    So I just stared drinking whey shakes as I need help reaching my daily protein goal of 90g.

I've tried 2 different types; Aria vanilla women's protein, and Designer Whey double chocolate powder.
    I blended in 1/2 a banana 1/4c. frozen blueberries with 8oz. of milk for the vanilla powder, and just 3/4 of a banana and milk with the chocolate powder.

I HATE the vanilla! It's too strong tasting, and too sweet. I'm used to plain yogurt and fruit smoothies with a little honey for sweetener. These taste much more like a milkshake, which is fine if that's what you want to eat all the time. I think I'll try adding some plain yogurt to take down the sweetness.

Also, what is the difference between Whey and Casein?
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I feel like I do eat a lot of animal protein- eggs and bacon every morning, chicken every lunch. However, I really don't eat dinner because I eat a lot of my calories for breakfast and lunch and then get back from the gym around 8:00 and don't want to eat a huge dinner before I go to bed. My protein shake is the absolute best thing to have at this time because it isn't so filling that I am stuffed going to bed, but it also satisfies my hunger. I also am eating 120g of protein daily and would have a hard time hitting that if I didn't have a daily protein shake. I LOVE it.

120g AWESOME!!!!! I like they way you do it. Animal proteins and a protein shake to top it off.