Which is worse Smoking or Binge Eating Junk food.

Options

Replies

• eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'd actually say it depends at least a little on how often you'd want to do each and your genetic predisposition to the related diseases. Both of my grandfathers died of smoke-related lung cancer, but no one in my family has suffered/died from obesity-related illnesses. So for me I'd say smoking would be worse.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    As someone who had pneumonia twice and pleurisy (both of which are pure hell), I'd say smoking is far worse. Also, my bf has copd.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Like with all things, moderation is key.
  • addiepray80
    addiepray80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am right in the boat with you. I have been struggling with the same thing. I have quit smoking multiple times but get roped back in VERY easily. I'm what you'd call a "social smoker" at this point. For me, I believe smoking is worse; none the less, I tend to gravitate to that more easily. I know having a cigarette will make me want to have more. If I "binge" on junk food; I know I'm smart enough that I'm not going to turn that into an everyday habit. If I do have a lapse in judgement on my eating, I usually have had a good enough day, or rest of the week, that it doesn't have much of an effect in the long run.

I have to say, I feel I've gotten better at dealing with stress without needing a cigarette or needing to grab junk food (I've been doing yoga the last few months and usually some stretching and/or breathing can get me past the super stressful moment). My mistakes come when I'm having too much fun!

Best of luck to you. Just wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone in this dilema!
  • 1goodgranny
    Options
    Both!

With that said, now you have to work on ways to manage your stress so you can't use it as an excuse.

How about next time you're stressed and want to eat or smoke, take a short, fast, run or throw a few punches and kicks (at the air, of course!). Act as if you're fighting off an attacker. That will get rid of some stress!!!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I'd say they're equally bad because it's the reason you chose to do it that's the problem, not the method you chose to escape from it. I had a revelation about 2 months ago that I overeat (and have craved cigarettes or booze too) when I am overwhelmed. What I had to figure out is 1) Do I have control over anything I'm overwhelmed by? (If the answer is no, stop spending energy and worry on it; if the answer is yes, confront it and do something about it). and 2) Find a healthy alternative to escape from reality when there is a need to do so (because #1 isn't always easily or quickly resolved).

I ended up buying a keyboard and I'm going to learn to play piano. I love music and it soothes me so I think it will accomplish what I want when I feel stressed or overwhelmed. Find something you enjoy that doesn't do harm to your body and try that to help in those times when you just can't deal with it.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I think smoking is worse.
  • Bmoviemama
    Options
    I'm a Hospice nurse.....smoking definitely. Majority of my patients with lung cancer, throat cancer etc from smoking. I do not have many dying from obesity or diabetes.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I've never tried smoking junk food. I guess there's always a first.

Swing by my place and we'll fire up some Doritos.

Nice!
  • Bmoviemama
    Options

ugggg this is what I'm told about sex.....NEVER!!!!! Have to have it as much as possible
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how much did you pay for the cig?
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    To me Smoking since I'm highly allergic and will have an asthma attack if someone has it on their clothes, skin, breath and is near me. Your binge you keep for yourself. Also my mother died from cancer directly related to her smoking habit. :(
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I've never tried smoking junk food. I guess there's always a first.

Challenge accepted. I'm off to find a way to light up a Snickers.

googled it...this is all i could find

snickers.gif
  • GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    if it is a single cigarette vs a single binge, then neither of them are bad for you. it isn't until you binge all the time or smoking enough to do significant damage before they are bad for you.

Agreed.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say and this is going to be completely offensive:

This is your addict brain talking. You are justifying one addiction for another. This is an excuse.

You need to take a look at what is going on why you are emotionally or physically vulnerable and learn to start giving the love that your body is really craving.

Hope you read this in the spirit it was meant.
  • Corrie_Lynn
    Corrie_Lynn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think the smoking is worse, especially long term. Binge eating is obviously bad, but you can work it off. I also think one trip to McDonald's won't really put you back into an unhealthy lifestyle as easily as a cigarette will make you want to start smoking again. Good job not buying a pack though. Either way, don't beat yourself up too much, just move on and get back on track :)
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i say smoking is worse, one cigarette - meh sure whatever.

but if i were to binge eat.. id eat steak and chicken and fish then go beast mode in the gym ;)

so if your going to binge, do it on something good
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I don't think bingeing or smoking are the problems, I think the stress is the problem.
    if it is a single cigarette vs a single binge, then neither of them are bad for you. it isn't until you binge all the time or smoking enough to do significant damage before they are bad for you.

I would agree with this except the one cigarette obviously caused the OP some undue distress or she wouldn't be posting this!

Except smoking is nearly impossible to do in moderation, due to the addictive nature of nicotine.

I know of only one person who was able to smoke moderately, my Grandmother. She only smoked while playing bridge with her friends, and when she stopped playing bridge with those friends, she had no problem not smoking ever again. I'd say she's definitely an exception to the rule.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking. Right now. Not another one. Ever.

You hear me?

Then, once you're completely finished with cigarettes for good and forever, you focus on dealing with binge eating. Mkay?

(and before the smokers get all sanctimonious on me... I quit smoking cold turkey after a pack a day habit for many years. I'm still working on my eating)
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So your trying to determine what bad "habit" you should turn to? it seems you want validation? It's your life, you can justify whatever bad decision you want to, however you want to.

As a habit both options suck *kitten*. Either once in awhile won't kill you, but you are a former smoker, so that is dangerous territory. I say neither as a habit, but a binge on pizza, wings and beer every now and then having a good time with friends, I say is a must.