Which is worse Smoking or Binge Eating Junk food.

Options

Replies

• Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    have you tried to binge on smoked sausage?
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So your trying to determine what bad "habit" you should turn to? it seems you want validation? It's your life, you can justify whatever bad decision you want to, however you want to.

As a habit both options suck *kitten*. Either once in awhile won't kill you, but you are a former smoker, so that is dangerous territory. I say neither as a habit, but a binge on pizza, wings and beer every now and then having a good time with friends, I say is a must.

no in my original post i said:
    then i started thinking that this thought and rationalization of a cigarette over food isn't healthy...

i realize that both are bad things and i shouldnt be doing either one of them at all. but it happens we are all human. i was just curious to read opinions on it. thats all. im not trying to get any validation. im angry at myself for what i did to my body. and im also angry that my brain wanted to justify it by thinking "hey at least it wasnt mcdonalds" i recognize that there is a problem with my thinking and wanted to hear what other people had to say about it.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I smoked for close to 25 years. Quit roughly 4 years ago. I was a 'militant smoker' I LOVED my smokes, I absolutely hated those x-smokers who were all sanctimonious about my habit. I'd use cigarettes as an appetite suppressant and a way to elevate my very low blood pressure. Eventually the chest pains forced me to quit. I'm happy I didn't turn into one of 'those' x-smokers. One of my friends recently confessed to me that he smoked 1 cigarette recently - after having been smoke free for close to 2 years. It happens. Giving up an addiction (be it food or smoke or drug or alcohol or whatever) is damn hard and if you slip from time to time it's OK, just don't give up!

As far as which is worse.. it's hard to say. When I quit smoking I was lucky that I had also just recently started working out so I didn't gain weight (though I had the few times I had tried quitting before that period) When I smoked I would always say that smoking kept me thin - and it did for a long time. But I think that is because I never knew really HOW to keep from eating without having to depend on some crutch. Now that I have quit and have also gotten a handle on my food I find that I have a lot less stress related binges. I still have stress but now I don't turn to food/cigs for comfort.
    when you really think about it they are both equally bad . people tend to want to minimize one thing not looking as bad as the other. but the reality is there are no categories as to small, medium or large mistakes. a mistake is a mistake.

I agree with this ;)
  • wntrbreez
    wntrbreez Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on which affects your self esteem more. For me personally, binging would likely set me up to get discouraged & start eating like I did before. At this point in my life, losing weight is very important to me. I think we all need an occasional guilty pleasure to get us through....whether it's a doughnut or a cigarette or an unnecessary purchase. The worrisome part is trading one addiction for another (swapping a food addiction for a smoking addiction). Just be conscience of what you're doing. If it's an occasional guilty pleasure, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • erickita89
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say and this is going to be completely offensive:

This is your addict brain talking. You are justifying one addiction for another. This is an excuse.

You need to take a look at what is going on why you are emotionally or physically vulnerable and learn to start giving the love that your body is really craving.

Hope you read this in the spirit it was meant.

i did. i appreciate this comment alot for what it is worth. i wish i could control the stupid things that happen to me but you cant always do that. im still young i agree that i need to find something better to do than eating and smoking to deal with it but i am working on it. =)
  • erickita89
    Options
    have you tried to binge on smoked sausage?

yes its freaken Delicious!!!! i have been known to do that at barbecues. i love sausages! haha
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I smoke... I've been smoking since I was 12.... I know, sucks, but...

I'd vote that binge eating is worse....

I have the same problem. i rationalized it this way at first because i started when i was like 15-16. i've always been an on and off with it due to stress. but i decided to quit for good and have only had 2 slip ups since then

Rock on, erickita. Respect to you. I've tried quitting many times over the years.
  • erickita89
    Options
    thank you for all of the responses i've received =) you are all awesome
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So your trying to determine what bad "habit" you should turn to? it seems you want validation? It's your life, you can justify whatever bad decision you want to, however you want to.

As a habit both options suck *kitten*. Either once in awhile won't kill you, but you are a former smoker, so that is dangerous territory. I say neither as a habit, but a binge on pizza, wings and beer every now and then having a good time with friends, I say is a must.

no in my original post i said:
    then i started thinking that this thought and rationalization of a cigarette over food isn't healthy...

i realize that both are bad things and i should be doing either one of them at all. but it happens we are all human. i was just curious to read opinions on it. thats all. im not trying to get any validation. im angry at myself for what i did to my body. and im also angry that my brain wanted to justify it by thinking "hey at least it wasnt mcdonalds" i recognize that there is a problem with my thinking and wanted to hear what other people had to say about it.

Good answer. Just remember, don't beat yourself up. A lot of times we turn to being "hard" on ourselves in the thinking we have to be to stay inline. This is NOT the answer. Feeling bad leads to making bad decisions for temporary relieve, which leads to more shame and guilt, and more bad choices.

Brush it off. Today is a new day, and not one single choice you have ever made defines you. Make the right choice next time, and validate your strength.

I highly recommend the book The Will Power Effect. It's amazing! Good luck.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    You look at me right this minute.

Don't smoke another cigarette.

I thought it'd be alright to try too. 17 years later and I'm still struggling to quit them. I get winded faster. My clothes and home smell like smoke. I spend a fortune on a habit that brings me little pleasure.

Not another smoke for you. Period.

^^THIS!!! These are the reasons I quit....been off them for 8 years now and I feel better than I ever have!
  • erickita89
    Options
    Honestly, I smoke... I've been smoking since I was 12.... I know, sucks, but...

I'd vote that binge eating is worse....

I have the same problem. i rationalized it this way at first because i started when i was like 15-16. i've always been an on and off with it due to stress. but i decided to quit for good and have only had 2 slip ups since then

Rock on, erickita. Respect to you. I've tried quitting many times over the years.

Thank you. but It has been hard. especially since both my parents smoke around me all of the time. i've learned to deal with it being around me and not doing it at all.... but the real problem and challenge comes when i am angry and stressed with no way out of it. the times where you feel like screaming and breaking something because u are so upset lol
  • jaydensmommy422
    Options
    I wish I could quit, I don't have the will power. If I don't smoke I'll eat instead. But I have noticed if I do a workout I am too out of breath to touch a cigarette, so maybe you could take out all your stress on a workout- and because your mad or upset you wlll probably work harder. Please don't go back to smoking, it might be harder to keep the weight off from binge eating but you can never reverse the health of your lungs.
  • erickita89
    Options
    I wish I could quit, I don't have the will power. If I don't smoke I'll eat instead. But I have noticed if I do a workout I am too out of breath to touch a cigarette, so maybe you could take out all your stress on a workout- and because your mad or upset you wlll probably work harder. Please don't go back to smoking, it might be harder to keep the weight off from binge eating but you can never reverse the health of your lungs.

lol its funny that you say this.... because i smoked the cigarette and went to the gym.... and stayed there until it closed and burned close to 1000 cals because i was that upset. next time i will just try to walk through the door and not notice others who are smoking haha
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Long term binging is just at bad/dangerous/nasty as long term smoking. But I would take one smoke over the mega calorie/fat fix of a binge any day.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know if it really matters "which is worse". They're both not health behaviors, because they're a manifestation of other issues. Really, the root of the problem is the need for a stress reliever, and finding relief in an unhealthy medium.

Are there things that help with stress for you? For me, I never miss a workout, because it actually helps with my stress. I make time to spend alone, where I can read, and get a break. Do you have certain things to do that would help with stress and relief for you, rather than cigarettes or fast food?
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've never tried smoking junk food. I guess there's always a first.

Challenge accepted. I'm off to find a way to light up a Snickers.

^^ I am laughing hysterically!
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    For me - Smoking 1 cigarette is worse - quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever done. When I quit it was cold turkey and never looked back.

FEAR keeps me from smoking just one - it would then become 2 or 5 or a pack.

I worked to hard to get the monkey off my back.

I smoked for 41 years...have been quit for 13...I ate alot at first and gained 50 pounds..but I would rather eat than smoke..it is easier to lose weight than to quit smoking...a binge here and there in the long run doesn't do as much harm as smoking does.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Please not even a comparison. Smoking directly affects the air sacs in your lungs, and is directly linked to lung cancer.

Even a really bad binge can be worked off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I'd say a cigarette and McDonald's are probably equally bad. I don't really see one or the other as worse per se. Either way, I think you should move on and not make 1 cog turn into "when I drink" or worse, all the time. Good luck! Dont' beat yourself up.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Please not even a comparison. Smoking directly affects the air sacs in your lungs, and is directly linked to lung cancer.

Even a really bad binge can be worked off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

or thrown up