Coffee Withdrawal

Options
katekross
katekross Posts: 463 Member
Hi Everyone... so I am completely addicted to coffee. I need it in my life. I cannot function without. Seriously. I am tryyying to wean myself off of coffee to avoid the added sugar and all that garbage. I will not drink coffee black. I know a good alternative is TEA. I am not in general a tea fan. So, I'm looking for some helpful advice to switch out coffee. Suggestions are welcome. I am not sold on green tea just yet. It would be EXTRA helpful for those who have maybe switched over from the dark side. Thanks for your help in advance!! :)

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    ME TOO
    and if you add whiskey it is even better.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Why suffer and drink tea if you don't like it.

Enjoy your coffee. The withdrawals aren't worth giving it up.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I dumped diet pop a while back and substituted ... black coffee. Not very helpful to you, I'd guess. Sorry!

I'm happy with the change, though.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you!
  • gallingers06
    gallingers06 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There are a million types of tea, so I am sure you will find some. I usually add nothing to mine except the occasional lemon wedge so most of the time it is a calorie free drink. Bigelow has some of my favorites. I say just try some at a local coffee (ironic, I know) shop and you are bound to find one that you like! I bought a huge 3 box variety pack from Sams and there are fruit blends, mint blends, and all sorts. I have found new teas to love because of it. Good luck to you!!
    ***Not going to lie, I love my cup of Joe in the morning***
  • artistryrose
    artistryrose Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to cut out some coffee I started with 1/2 decaf 1/2 caffeinated in the pot, try sugar free French vanilla creamer, it's 15 cals a tablespoon. I still splurge on a good gourmet coffee when I run out with the girls, but when it's for work, I drink my cup or two before I leave and only have my to-go cup at work. Jillian michaels says something about how coffee and smacking make you/ keep you fat... I'll have to find the article, it boosted me a little more to cut back on some coffee
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I gave up splenda, so that has also meant I basically have to give up coffee. I can't stand it black either. I like green tea, but only with sugar or splenda, so I won't drink that plain either. My husband told me just to start drinking coffee black and I will eventually get used to it. So, I'm going to try it for a few days. Otherwise I just plan on dealing with the withdrawals.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Have you tried coffee with just skim milk? or steamed skim milk (half coffee, half milk)? The latter tastes sweet to me.

I have walked away from artificial sweeteners (including HFCS), but will not give up coffee.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Keep your coffee and sweeten it with stevia instead of sugar.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone... so I am completely addicted to coffee. I need it in my life. I cannot function without. Seriously. I am tryyying to wean myself off of coffee to avoid the added sugar and all that garbage. I will not drink coffee black. I know a good alternative is TEA. I am not in general a tea fan. So, I'm looking for some helpful advice to switch out coffee. Suggestions are welcome. I am not sold on green tea just yet. It would be EXTRA helpful for those who have maybe switched over from the dark side. Thanks for your help in advance!! :)

I would rather have one cup of coffee a day fixed the way I like it, than quit all together. My morning cup is usually 70 - 80 calories, fits into my daily calorie allotment. Keep the coffee, try to add sugar and creamer in moderation! :drinker:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    So you drink tea w/o sugar but not black coffee? I spend 125 calories each morning on coffee -- sometimes another cup is a snack.

If you are worried about sugar, why not limit the amount you put in?
  • stacysfit81
    Options
    I thought bout giving up my cup of Starbucks everyday... But I just cant I have tried going smaller however I found if I order the "lite" venti version it has lower cals then the tall even without the whip cream (which I never get)
  • daskilla
    daskilla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why drink something with similar effects on body if you are not a fan? Just drink coffee or nothing at all. If you are drinking too mutch, just limit amount.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Stevia? It's an all-natural herbal sugar substitute. The aftertaste is not nearly as bad as artificial sweeteners. Also, if you ween yourself slowly off the sugar, you may find you don't mind it black after all.

eta: I drink decaf, with 2tsp non-dairy creamer and half of a packet of Stevia. 1-cup is 20 calories.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Teavana sells a tea that's supposed to be well liked by coffee drinkers. Not a fan of Teavana so I don't recall what it was...sorry!

If you like coffee, you might like black teas since the flavor is stronger. Try a bunch and find one you like. Try different combinations of milk/cream/almond milk/soy milk/coconut milk and sugar/raw sugar/brown sugar/honey/maple syrup to figure out what combination suits you. If you find you need more milk/sugar/etc to enjoy tea, you might be better off sticking to coffee. Personally, I drink my coffee (rarely) loaded up with sugar and whole milk but can drink green tea with nothing added or black tea with a little milk and sugar. I've got it so that I drink 1 cup of green tea each day and then black tea or coffee on the weekends. It's cut down on my calories/sugar from beverages quite a bit and I still get a (lesser) caffeine fix.

Some of my favorite teas: Tealuxe Earl de la creme, Bigelow Rockville Raspberry, Bigelow green tea with jasmine. If you have a Tealuxe near you, you can get small quantities of a bunch of teas so you can try them out.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

F*** tea. eat freshly cut pineapples instead.

SERIOUSLY! that is exactly how i quit coffee. When you wake up have pineapples instead. it will give you a crazy sugar rush that will give you a kick up the *kitten* to wake up. if you are not a fan of pineapples... try clementines (those lil tiny oranges) or any other citrisy fruit.

It helped me not be cranky and mean to my family and cowerkers =)
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    MFP is about everything in moderation - so maybe cut down if you're concerned about your intake but I don't think you need to avoid it entirely? :smile:
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy coffee? Why give it up? I have one cup every morning. With my organic or naturally sweetened creamer it is only 70 calories. Work it into your day.
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It is a little hard to answer without knowing why you want to give up coffee. If you just want to have lower calorie, then maybe try using agave nectar and almond milk (vanilla unsweetened is lovely). My husband switched to that...he drinks his with a bunch of stuff in it. I like mine black, but I did go off of all caffiene for a fast a couple different times. I have withdrawal for about three days then it's gone. This last time after I started eating food again, I didn't add soda back in, which I am really proud of! For me, I just have one or two cups in the morning. I missed my cup today because I didn't have time, and I have a bit of a headache...but I think once I get in the cup that I just made that I should be fine again.

I hope that helps some. :)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ME TOO
    and if you add whiskey it is even better.

:heart: Marry me?