IRON...what are good food sources...NO LIVER please!

Options
‹(•¿•)›So I am ALWAYS low on iron and the Dr. wants me to go on iron pills (he wanted me to last september, and I never did oops), but I have heard that they are hard to digest and honestly my gut is torn up enough! So I have iron as one of my foods to watch on here and holy cow eating the way I have been I NEVER even get half the iron that it says I should. I am tired all the time and I go back to the doc...in a few months and am nervous to have him check my blood again. I have been a naughty girl and not been taking my meds or the iron pills.

SO HELP ME FIND SOME NORMAL FOODS THAT ARE GREAT FOR IRON...pretty please...oh and please don't suggest liver, I just can't do that one. I can't even handle the smell,,,YUCKY :-P

THANKSღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Here's a few off the top of my head (I'm pregnant and just went over iron-rich foods with my dr. not long ago):

- Red meat
    - Dark, leafy greens (collard, spinach, kale)
    - beans, lentils, chickpeas, soybeans
    - Artichokes
    - Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    - Egg yolks
    - Mollusks (clams, mussels, oysters, scallops)
    - Salmon, tuna, shrimp
    - Certain veggies (broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, watercress, brussel sprouts)
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    The dark meat from chicken and turkey is also high in iron.

Clams and oysters too but I don't care for either one.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Spinach is great - a couple of us got into the discussion last year about spinach and iron and in the research it came out that you have to have citrus with it to absorb the iron. So a spinach salad with strawberries or orange slices is great. I also think we found out that if you use cider vinegar on cooked spinach that is good to - tomatoes help also. But without citric acid, you can't absorb the iron from spinach. :love: Good luck!
  • chgraham
    chgraham Posts: 122
    Options
    I have lived with very low iron all my life. I do take a Multi Vitamin (Pre-natal one for the high iron - only reason), but I watch what I eat closely. I agree with the suggestions listed already. One of the things I have for breakfast is Cream of Wheat. It is high in iron, throw in a few craisins and flax and there is a healthy, iron rich breakfast. I also eat a Spinach Salad everyday, might have to try with some citrus on it. If you want to add me as a friend and check over my diary, please feel free. Iron is one that I watch all the time.

Good luck:wink:
  • jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I got some Iron water pouches that you add to orange juice called Spatone. The vitamin C helps your body digest/absorb the iron and as it is easier for your body to digest, you don't get the side effects associated with iron tablets. :wink:
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Eat your iron rich foods or supplements with vitamin C and NO CALCIUM! Calcium blocks the absorption of iron. A multivitamin that contains iron and calcium is counteractive.
  • musicmrse
    musicmrse Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Some cereals are iron fortified. I ate malt-o-meal honey nut cheerios this morning and they have 75 grams of iron!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I got some Iron water pouches that you add to orange juice called Spatone. The vitamin C helps your body digest/absorb the iron and as it is easier for your body to digest, you don't get the side effects associated with iron tablets. :wink:

THANKS! I need to find those! I just can't seem to get enough in my foods and I have Crohns so really some foods that have the iron my tummy just can't handle!