Do I have to run?

Options
So, I am finally at my goal weight and I could not be happier. I will now start on getting more toned but I'm wondering.. is there anything else I can do that will have the same affect as a 30 minute run on the treadmill will? I've always hated running and I'd rather walk at a fast pace at a high incline than run. Could I just do that instead of running or will I start gaining my weight back?

My diet will not change. I am not trying to be lazy just because I reached my goal.

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Try researching HIIT cardio. You get a very good cardio workout in half the time. You can do HIIT running (outdoor or treadmill) cycling, lifting, etc. There are tons of ways to do it.

I hate cardio with a passion, I'd rather lift 3 hours a day then run for 45 minutes. I do HIIT 3 days/week, usually around 20-25 mins. each workout. I do it on a treadmill in the winter, on a track in the warmer months.

Since you're now at your goal weight I'd recommend adding in a lifting routine paired with HIIT.
  • OLeoLionessO
    Options
    I would ride a bike instead or do a spin class. I personally hate running and it's extremely uncomfortable and awkward for me to do. When I bike, I just go a bit longer that I would running because you easily can! Try it out. It's an awesome alternative.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you don't like running, stop! You want to find exercises you enjoy so that you keep with it.

You can keep your loss easily with your hill climbs, just stay within your calorie goal.

And well done!!!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Ellipticals are awesome calorie burners.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Since you're now at your goal weight I'd recommend adding in a lifting routine paired with HIIT.

I second this!
  • Donnaovercomer
    Donnaovercomer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    instead of straight running you could do interval training. It is 30 seconds of running as hard as you can with a 60 second recovery for the amount of time you choose. I usually do that for 20-25 minutes and I sweat more than if I just did a walk or continuous running. Good luck
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    instead of straight running you could do interval training. It is 30 seconds of running as hard as you can with a 60 second recovery for the amount of time you choose. I usually do that for 20-25 minutes and I sweat more than if I just did a walk or continuous running. Good luck

HIIT.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do anything to not gain the weight back other than not eat too much.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any exercise? Is there a kind of exercise that you DO like?
  • ljplunkett
    ljplunkett Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Zumba?? It's my favorite exercise ever and is a great workout! I have an elliptical at home for when the weather is bad or there's not a class. I have great workout music and before I know it 30-40 minutes has passed by and I'm sweating from head to toe. Lastly, when the weather is great (or even not so great) and a friend calls and wants to take a walk, I'm always up for that! I enjoy walking the 5 or 10K races that a lot of my family and friends do almost every month!
  • bostongrl13
    bostongrl13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use the StairMaster for HIIT, rowing machine, and fitness ropes for interval training. Great ways to end your workout drenched in sweat...

Or I go outside and snowboard or bike depending on season.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Congratz on meeting your goal!

If you don't burn as many calories as you were, and maintain the same diet, you will gain weight.

Running on a treadmill (even HIIT) is torture to me - but I love running. If you haven't given running outside a try (the weather is something to plan for), I highly recommend it before you give up on running altogether. Sure it's not for everybody, but the treadmill is not comparable - it's like playing Wii vs. actually doing a sport (no offence to Wii fans, but it's completely different).

But why do you hate running but like walking? If it's a shoe or bra issue, those are easily solved. If it's an impact/joint issue, those might not go away no matter what and could also be issues in other activities. The "why" is often more important than the "what".
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Join a local sporting team or take up martial arts. I hear rockclimbing is fun too.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You can do soooo many things. Take a bunch of classes and see what you like. I like bellydance, aqua zumba, and good ole step aerobics. But you do what works for you. Spin is very effective as is boot camp. And boxing. Team up with friends, or join a friendly class, and it's crazy fun to laugh at each other.
  • 4littlebees
    4littlebees Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No one has said YOGA!!! I heart yoga with all of my being. I run on the elliptical, but that's just to lose my extra baby weight. Yoga is what I do to keep my mind and my body happy. You don't need to jump right in to Vinyasa. Take a beginner class. You might just love it. :) Best wishes!
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    running is overrated. You actually will burn more calories at rest lifting (strength training) then running. maintain a good diet, add strength training to your regime and do about 3 slow intense cardio sessions a week and you will be just fine, but remember you will not gain as much muscle on a caloric deficit, and it will be hard to do it at maintanence
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire

I used to run. I might run again when the weather is nice, but I'm not sure. I've been Turbo Fire for the past 11 weeks and have had better results (lower BF%, more muscle, better full body workout) than I ever did with running.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Sorry, running is THE ONLY THING that you can do to burn calories. I'm afraid that's all there is. Other ways to move your bodies actually make you fat and add calories. Kinda like the opposite of eating celery...

/sarcasm

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! Find what you enjoy doing and do that! Lifting, HIIT, cycling, triathlon (which unfortunately does include running, but only 1/3 of the time), swimming, dancing, karate, jumping jacks, whatever!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    running is overrated. You actually will burn more calories at rest lifting (strength training) then running.

No.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    So, I am finally at my goal weight and I could not be happier. I will now start on getting more toned but I'm wondering.. is there anything else I can do that will have the same affect as a 30 minute run on the treadmill will? I've always hated running and I'd rather walk at a fast pace at a high incline than run. Could I just do that instead of running or will I start gaining my weight back?

My diet will not change. I am not trying to be lazy just because I reached my goal.

Congrats on reaching your goal weight....

As far as running goes, that's not really going to tone ****...cardio doesn't "tone." Cardio is just weight lifting for your heart and cardiovascular system. To "tone" you need to pick up heavy things and put them down.

Do some combination of resistance training for your muscles and cardio for your heart health and aerobic endurance. Do what you like doing...if you don't like running then don't run...there are seriously a million different things you could do from a cardio stand point than run.