Delicious and satisfying, the sweet potato - good or evil?

Options
What are peoples thoughts on the sweet potato? It was suggested by a nutritionist, who said it had a low glycemic index. I just had one medium sweet potato (hot, mashed) with a wedge of Laughing Cow lite cheese mixed in. Man, it was delicious and only 137 calories and less than 2 g. of fat. That with some cubed deli turkey made a very satisfying lunch - is it too good to be true?

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are gooooood
    Light cheese? Evil
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Food is not evil.

Sweet potatoes are delicious so I eat them.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Love baked sweet potatoes and eat them all the time!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I usually eat some form of red or sweet potato daily with dinner.

I tend to think I'm doing quite well thus far.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i don't know how i carried on with my life without sweet potatoes in the past.
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Now I want to stop at the super market on the way home. I LOVE sweet potatoes!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Nothing is evil.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Is this really up for debate?

Sweet potatoes are freaking awesome. Can make savoury or sweet dishes, and are bloody fantastic smothered in butter an cinammon. They make the best chips for my nachos and are perfect wedges for my cheese and bacon. There's no way they can be evil when they do so much good.
  • jess_goobie
    jess_goobie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes can have them every night
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Good - very good!!! They are the most nutritious vegetable out there and delicious besides. What other food can come out of the microwave all creamy and scrumptious?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    A sweet potato is a whole, natural food...why would anyone even think that it's evil? That's just crazy. No potato, sweet or otherwise is evil.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    are bloody fantastic smothered in butter an cinammon.

Had that tonight to accompany my beef stew. Was soooooo good.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Everything I read gives high praise to sweet potatoes. I wish I liked them better, but really haven't ever been fond of them and stick mostly with red potatoes with an occasional plain russet spud with cottage cheese (instead of sour cream and butter) for a topping.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmm, delicious!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Everything I read gives high praise to sweet potatoes. I wish I liked them better, but really haven't ever been fond of them and stick mostly with red potatoes with an occasional plain russet spud with cottage cheese (instead of sour cream and butter) for a topping.

Have you tried purple potatoes? They are awesome as well.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Mmm. So. Good.

I love them baked, mashed and made into french fries.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes! Make sure you weigh them, though--gives a much more accurate count. The smallest ones I could find in my grocery store weigh over 200g each, putting them close to 200 calories each. And one I would have considered "medium" came in at about 300 calories by weight.

My favorite topping for a baked sweet potato is a tablespoon of Philadelphia Indulgence cream cheese, cinnamon flavor. Great combination!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Food is not evil.

Sweet potatoes are delicious so I eat them.
    This.

Worth saying again: Food is not evil.

Sometimes Evel may bake some delicious sweet potatoes, but that doesn't make the sweet potatoes evil.

resized_Evel_Knievel.jpg
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    they are a good slow digesting complex carb that will not leave you feeling hungry and snacking hours later like simple carbs