Exercising and woman issues

Options
I'm sure I'm going to get lots of replies telling me to see a doctor, so don't worry; I'm home from uni next week which will be my first opportunity to get an appointment, and I'm definitely planning to. This post is just for the purpose of putting my mind at ease a little until then and finding out if it's a common problem... anyway, I recently started the contraceptive injection, and have also recently started bleeding and having bad cramps after a hard workout. I never had this problem on the pill. My questions are; has anyone else had this problem? How would you suggest dealing with it (less exercise, taking a break, sucking it up and working out as normal)?

Replies

• MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I had my husband get a vasectomy. Never been on birth control. Lucky bstard (because we are now divorced and he has no worries).
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't relate since I've never had that experience. But you know - you could always check in with the uni's health services.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Exercise can bring on the onset of period symptoms. I am not on BC and that still happens to me sometimes. I have discussed it with my gyno and she has reassured me it's normal, but still talk to your doctor and inform them, so that way they can be aware of your situation.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise did that to me as well after the Depo birth control injection... took about 3 months to get past.. but I agree, always check with your doctor in event that its more than just side effects/symptoms of the horomones/injection. Best Wishes
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem exactly, turned out to be Fibroid in my uterus and had them removed (a very simple outpatient surgery) and have not had the problem sense.

Basically I would bleed whenever I exercised and after sex. My doctor said exercising should not make you bleed.

Yes exercise can cause your period to be a little wacked up, because estrogen lowers when you exercise, but thats a different story from what you are describing.
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Depending on your BC it can change the level and severity of the "spotting". I'm using nexplanon..and since I've been on it my lady "issue" hasn't been the same. Research exactly what you're on and see if there are others with that side effect. I mean..some BC makes your hair fall out! You just never know!
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Agree with those who said give it about three months to settle your hormones.

But if it continues, definitely tell your doc.

I did hormones in the form of the Pill a short while in my 20s, then switched to condoms (I grew up during a time when we worried about AIDS). Honestly, the condom is the best in my opinion. It never decreased MY pleasure. LOL.

The hormones gave me mood swings and other side effects. I was happy to let it go.

If it's been three months and you are still seeing the symptoms, definitely check with your doc. There are many other versions of birth control and a different one might agree with you more.

But in my book, condoms rule!
  • ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start the shot? Those can be pretty common symptoms over the couple of months after first starting the shot, even if you aren't working out.

It's a good idea to talk to the doctor no matter what, though!
  • aubreybouck
    aubreybouck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the bleeding, but I feel I should warn you about the birth control. I have a very close friend who is active duty in the Air Force, and when she went on the injection birth control, she started to gain weight like crazy! After she failed a fitness test, she started going to zumba classes every night after their normal 1 hour work outs (5 nights a week), and it still wouldn't come off! She went to her Dr, because she was not allowed to fail another fitness test, and he told her it was her birth control, and they stopped giving it to her. We then all watched in amazement as she lost 22 lbs in 4 weeks!!! Her body stabilized after that, but she tells everyone now about how the injections reacted with her body....
    Every one is different, but it might be the injections that are causing the problems...
  • fatgirljessica
    Options
    I've read that a lot of people have had the same problem. You can talk to your doctor to see if there is anything to do about it now. I've read were some woman had to stop getting it because of that but I've also heard some people's body adjust.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have nothing to really suggest other than to either read about the shot you got, its side effects and to see your doctor
  • Bexamous
    Bexamous Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the bleeding, but I feel I should warn you about the birth control. I have a very close friend who is active duty in the Air Force, and when she went on the injection birth control, she started to gain weight like crazy! After she failed a fitness test, she started going to zumba classes every night after their normal 1 hour work outs (5 nights a week), and it still wouldn't come off! She went to her Dr, because she was not allowed to fail another fitness test, and he told her it was her birth control, and they stopped giving it to her. We then all watched in amazement as she lost 22 lbs in 4 weeks!!! Her body stabilized after that, but she tells everyone now about how the injections reacted with her body....
    Every one is different, but it might be the injections that are causing the problems...

I'm not worried in that respect. Some forms of contraception cause you to gain weight, others to lose it and I keep an eye on my weight well enough to know if it's causing any problems.