Catholic MFPs, Good Friday Fast?

Options
I'm not sure if there are many practicing Catholics on MFP, but if there are, I was wondering what you plan to do for your Good Friday fast? Are you going to do it? Are you just going to eat your calories after sundown? On Good Friday I normally fast for the day drinking lots of water then have soup after sundown. I'll probably do that again this year, but I'm sure my friends will be all in my face about not eating enough calories.

Replies

• ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Any of you out there?
  • AlexBoBalex79
    AlexBoBalex79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Not Catholic, but if it's important to you, then do it! You would be fasting if you were not on a diet, so I would not change that at all. If your friends don't understand that, then they need a flogging with a wet noodle.
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I dont do a fast but i will not be eating meat tomorrow.
  • elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This thread is divisive, reported.
    isnt any "discussion" ? do we noty all have our own opinoins and such? i think you are a little over sensitive buddy.
  • DarkDiva2005
    Options
    Is it bad that I didn't know that you are supposed to fast? I always just thought that you weren't supposed to eat meat. oops :/
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    isnt any "discussion" ? do we noty all have our own opinoins and such? i think you are a little over sensitive buddy.

Agree, she was just looking for some input not to debate theology or something.
  • DarkDiva2005
    Options

Really? What if it was asking about kosher foods? Or acceptable foods to eat after sunset of Ramadon? Every person has the right to ask like minded people for advice. Get over it or don't read it.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I don't fast but I probably will only est minimally throughout the day. so yes, i will probsbly be way und my goal. Do what you feel you must. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone,
  • DarkDiva2005
    Options
    The title is specific to Catholic MFP's there are groups for this.

And if the OP couldn't find one? I know half the time I can't find a convo or a group that I'm looking for. Therefor the OP started one for people who could answer the question.
  • courtwhitear
    courtwhitear Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am not a Catholic, but my religion practices monthly fasts and I still observe them. Spiritual fasts have been a great way for me to regroup and give my body a break. I hope you enjoy yours!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Just because it's specific to a certain group doesn't mean it's divisive. Save your outrage for where it's deserved. You'll have more credibility.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Any of you out there?
    here! but not going to fast.
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    We don't fast on Good Friday?? Haven't really heard of it to be honest. Its up to you I suppose. We just go to church and not eat meat etc... Good luck!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I never knew Catholics were suppose to fast for GF until I was 29. I haven't bothered with it for a couple decades. GL with your fast. It's just not for me. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Dragonleg
    Options
    Yes, fasting tomorrow. No one else's business, but hope this helps you decide what is best for you.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm Catholic. I've been doing Lent but I've never done a Good Friday fast ( nor have I ever heard of anyone doing one actually, just not eating meat.)
  • MissMdM
    MissMdM Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating meat. I'd like to fast but for right now. It's a very bad idea. Next year ill fast :)
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options

wow.
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you fell like fasting for good friday, do it. I think it is important to keep some of our traditions alive. Be it fasting for a day or a month or having certain foods for special occasions. Go for it!
    And for your '"concerned" friends you can call it "intermitttent fasting" ;-)
    And after that: happy easter and enjoy the eggs and some chocolate :-)
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Just because it's specific to a certain group doesn't mean it's divisive. Save your outrage for where it's deserved. You'll have more credibility.

That's exactly what it means actually, according to the Community Guidelines.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

There have been a number of topics that have been posted directed towards particular religions and they get removed or locked because they are not inclusive of the community as a whole.