Seriously, the scale sucks!

Options
So I've been feeling pretty down because despite my best efforts, I really am not losing weight like I used to. I am changing from 2-3 lbs a week to less than 1. I've heard this will happen so I anticipated it, just didn't think it would come so soon! I'd been working out harder and eating better and was thinking the pounds would be melting off. I know everyone says not to use the scale to measure yourself but seeing as how I just never got around to measuring myself, I didn't have any other real way to track my progress. I thought I could just use the way my clothes fit as another indicator but I still feel like things weren't fitting better for me.

Anyway, I took a picture about a month ago (left) and another one last night (right). My body is changing! And it's so gradual that no, I don't notice it. But looking at these side by side, I can tell that what I'm doing is working.

Everyone, do yourselves a favor and take a picture of you for your "before" pic! You won't remember how you looked last month unless you have it right there in front of you! I really thought I would see these side by side and look the exact same.

b4-1.jpg

Good luck to all!! Don't get discouraged! You didn't gain it in a day, week, month, or maybe even a year so don't expect to lose it that quick.

Replies

• lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference, thats awesome!! keep up the great work!!
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Very encouraging since I am in the same boat... the scale isn't budging even though I'm busting my *kitten* at the gym and eating right. Thanks for posting and keep up the great work!
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Sad to see that some is gone from my chestal region but still! :)
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Your muffin top is gone for sure. You're going to drive men crazy with that figure when you get to goal. What a waist and hips. Gorgeous.
  • lisajjeffery
    Options
    well done you look amazing! i hate the scales too, last month i only lost 4 lbs on the scale but i lost 3 inches on my waist and 4 on my legs. Also as you excerise you will be gaining more muscle.sadly i also lost loads of my chestal region too :( the one place i didnt want to lose the weight :)

keep up the good work:)
  • lauren31085
    lauren31085 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow!! In one month that is a HUGE difference!! Good Job! Keep up the good work, you're melting away!
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I just had this revelation today at weigh-in myself! :angry:

Been at it for about 25 days logging my food and about 2 weeks or so at the gym. No drop on the scale yet, but clothes are definately fitting better/looser. I know 2 bras I bought about a month ago are now too big, and this week I got back into a pair of jeans that were in the "stack"! You know the stack of clothes we all hold onto hoping we will get back into them one day.

So frustrated and I have just barely begun this journey! :frown:
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Despite being under with calories nearly every day (and the days I went over, I was still under maintenance), I have been 163.something for the WHOLE month of March. Seriously, hasn't budged at all. It's been extremely frustrating. And, I first hit the 160's mid-November. So, that's a whole 7 pounds lost over 4 1/2 months, or an average of 1/3 of a pound a week. Considering that I'm eating/exercising to lose 1.5-2 pounds a week, that's just flat out maddening. I should have been at my goal mid-January easily, but I'm still 13 pounds away!

Seriously, to those of you complaining about "only" 3-4 pounds in a month: I'd kill for 4 pounds down from March 1st right now. Try NOTHING for a month and get back to me. :grumble:

But, in the last few weeks I've gotten a LOT of comments about how good I'm looking and how much I'm changing. So, I'm thinking that my body is changing, but it's just not showing on the scale. It is still frustrating, but it's helping me not to give up. I didn't start taking measurements until last month, so we'll see on Monday if there is any change there.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Your muffin top is gone for sure. You're going to drive men crazy with that figure when you get to goal. What a waist and hips. Gorgeous.

Haha don't tell my husband that! :laugh: No, but seriously, thank you so so much! That is super kind of you!

And thank everyone else too! Seriously, all of this encouragement is making me feel so good! If anyone needs a new friend on here feel free to add me too!
  • yoscarlino
    yoscarlino Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    you have come a long way! Great Job!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    throw it out, i do not even own one.,
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can def tell a difference. I know what you mean about the scale. Great work!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    When I lost my initial 60 lbs I had my picture taken once a month. Then I would put side by side pictures (before and recent) on my computer as my desktop background. A constant reminder of the changes.
  • lasulit
    lasulit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm going thru the exact same thing. My weight loss has slowed down but clothes that I bought a year ago are now loose and i look decent in slim fit long sleeves again.

You look great! keep on going!
  • misssbluiz
    misssbluiz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! You look AMAZING!!! What a huge difference for 1 month!! Wtg!!!
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    you have made a huge gain,,,it is such a difference i had to take a closer look to notice that it is the same clothes since they look like they are falling off you in the second pic,,,great job,,,,keep up the good work :)
  • lovechattys
    lovechattys Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Big difference! Keep up the great work!

I went looking for my before pictures that I took last year when I tried this, but I couldn't find them. No surprise I deleted them, I hate my picture taken, and in a swim suit to boot. But I have been doing well for 3 months now, and I can't compare (boo!). So my daughter is taking some new before pictures of me tonight. With the strength training I am doing, the scale hasn't been a friend.

You have inspired me to keep it up though, so thanks!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Invest in a measuring tape. It's like 2 bucks online.
    I haven't measured myself in awhile. You look great!
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I measure myself because the scale is evil :devil:

I would be very discouraged if I didn't see the differences in inches.
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I agree the scale sucks! I know this for a fact because it didn't move for me for several weeks, yet I could see the difference in how my clothes fit. Also, I had a day recently where I weighed myself first thing in the morning. I then had not one, but two bowel movements and I stepped back on the scale to see if it made a difference. My scale is digital, so it shows ounces; however NOT AN OUNCE lost! Seriously?? I had not drank or ate anything and it was just half an hour later, but no difference. I am sorry; however if you deduct ounces from pounds it usually results in a smaller number except with a scale.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!