Potato Soup

Kayla_292to165
Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
Looking for a healthy potato soup recipe for dinner tonight. I looked through the forums to find some but most of the links they posted are inactive now and one I couldn't bump for later because I had to be part of their group...So can someone share a tasty healthy potato soup recipe?

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tex-mex-potato-soup/

around 484 calories per serving *yes it is high but it is filling and I did not get hungry for hours after.
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Wow that one looks good! Thank you :)
  • mybug21
    mybug21 Posts: 1 Member
    WW Recipes

1 onion, finely chopped
    1 carrot, finely chopped
    1 stalk celery, finely chopped
    1 tsp olive oil
    S&P to Taste
    1 20 oz bag frozen hashbrowns, Southern Style (not shredded)
    1 pkg McCormick original Country Gravy Mix
    32 oz Chicken Broth
    1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
    4 oz. Velveeta light

Saute onion, carrot, celery and S&P in oil until soften, add hashbrowns, gravy mix, chicken broth. Heat over med-high heat until just beginning to boil. Lower heat and simmer 30-40 minutes until potatoes are tender and soup is very thick. Add nutmeg and stir in Velveeta until melted

2 cup servings
  • hope you don't mind me posting this as it's not a potato soup... but I find this soup to very satisfying. It's a southwest turkey soup recipe I saw in Taste of Home Magazine.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/southwest-turkey-soup

My edits: use low sodium chicken broth, I use 1 can dark kidney beans and 1 can light kidney beans. I also use medium salsa instead of mild for added flavor.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    SLOW COOKER CREAM OF POTATO SOUP

8 potatoes, chopped
    3 leeks, white and light green parts only, cut into ¼ inch rounds
    1 onion diced
    3 tbsp margarine
    1 tbsp salt
    ½ tsp ground black pepper
    chicken stock to cover (1 to 2 tetra paks)
    1 (12 ounce) can low-fat evaporated milk

Place potatoes, leeks, onions, margarine, salt, pepper in slow cooker. Pour enough chicken stock to cover mixture. Cook on high for 4 hours.

Stir in evaporated milk. Either ladle soup into blender and blend until smooth or use immersion blender to blend until smooth. Serve hot.

* garnishes after soup is pureed – add 2 cups of diced cooked veggies like broccoli or cauliflower, peas, corns, carrots etc., chopped smoked sausage or crumbled bacon, grated cheddar cheese or chopped chives *

NOTE: - used to be only worth about 2 points on the Weight Watchers system for a 1-1/2 cup portion - don't think its relevant now
    - recipe can be easily halved, stores well for up to 4 to 5 days in refrigerator

**you can use veg stock or bouillon dissolved in water, whatever floats your boat, a very satisfying soup! :smile:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    I use the Bear Creek potato soup mix, and then add my own veggies. It's not homemade but it is pretty tasty. You can make it as the directions say, or in a crock pot.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    This is my fav way to make it. 1 pkg pre cooked bacon slices cut up,2 medium onions diced up,about 1 and a half cups of diced celery, about 1 and a half cups of diced carrots,5 cans chicken broth, about 5 potatoes boiled first then diced up,2 cups dry white cooking wine,2 pkgs Blue Cheese crumbled, about 3 Tbsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes,Dash Worchestershire Sauce, about 1 Tbsp Mince Garlic, about 2 Tbsp Butter,1 frozen pkg corn,about 1/2 container plain yogurt.
  • wmphimu
    wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
    We made this last night:

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

4 ounces bacon, chopped (you could use turkey bacon to make it healthier)
    1 onion, chopped
    1 16 ounce bag frozen hash browns
    1 quart whole milk
    6 ounces smoked gouda
    Chopped chives

Directions

In large pot, cook bacon; reserve. Add onion; cook 5 minutes. Add hash browns; cook 5 minutes. Add milk; simmer 10 minutes. Puree in blender. Pour into pot; add 2 cups water and simmer. Stir in cheese. Add salt/pepper to taste (it needs a lot of salt...I think I added 1 tbsp last night) Top with bacon and chives.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Boil some potatoes. Sauté some onions. Puree the potatoes and the left over liquid and put the onions and potato puree in a big pot. Add vegetable stock until desired consistency is achieved. Season with any herbs/spices you like. Add cheese if you want. Simmer for about 15 minutes.

Soup for you.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Bump
  • I don't have a recipe but I brown ham in a teaspoon of butter. Add a diced onion and some garlic. Add a bunch of diced peeled potatoes and some diced celery. Cover with chicken broth and water in whatever combination you like. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and cook until the potatoes are tender. Then just before serving blend equal parts butter and flour in a seperate saucepan and cook over low until it turns golden whisk in some milk and add to the soup for thickening. It's just a basic recipes and I just use whatever proportions I have on hand. It always turns out fantastic though.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    These all sound really good.
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Easy and Delicious...

1 bag Ore Ida Potatoes O'brien
    2 packets McCormick Country Gravy mix
    8 C Fat Free low sodium Chicken Broth (2 boxes 32 oz ea.)

Spray soup pot with cooking spreay. On medium high heat cook frozen potatoes for 10 min. Add Broth, heat to boiling.
    In a bowl empty both gravy packets, add two cups cold water and mix. Add this to the boiling soup. Bring back to a boil, Boil for 1 min, then simmer for 20 min.

Sausage flavored McCormick gravy makes it good to, but spicier.

1 1/2 C serving

Calories 138 Carbs 20 Fat 3 Protein 8 Sodium 779 Fiber 2

I have modified this to make an awesome clam chowder and even better corn chowder.

Clam chowder adds 1 jar clam juice for the water to mix in the gravy and mix 2 cans minced clams with the potatoes.

Corn chowder adds 2 cans creamed corn, 1 can sweet corn drained and 4 packets of truvia.

I want to do a loaded baked potato soup with this. I will add low fat cheddar, bacon bits, chive, and dollop of greek yogert as I serve each bowl. I have not tried this one yet, so I can't say it would be good.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    These all sound very good.