New to weight loss

Options
Good afternoon!

My name is Kara. Just got back from the doctor. I've gained 10 lbs in the last 3 months, and that is unacceptable to me. Doc suggested this site for help. I've found, in the last 10 minutes, it's very easy to use, so I'm happy so far.

I'm looking for help with staying focused and being motivated. I have GOT to give up the soda. Anyone else?

I've got one 2 1/2 year old daughter, a husband and a job where I sit all day. I get home early enough that I can walk every day, so that is nice.

What else to say... I'm 34, got 100 lbs to lose, ready to do this thing!

Replies

• TSNewLife
    Options
    I Hear you. I put on 7 lbs in the past 3 weeks. My husband tried telling he couldn't notice anything, but whatever. Even my "loose" jeans are giving me a muffin top now. I don't have as much to lose as you, but I think our motivators are close to the same. I have 3 kids of my own and 1 step-son. I have a bad heart valve, and know I need to keep it strong, but I gave up for a while. I'm ready to kick some butt!!

Have you tried sparkling flavored water at all? I don't like it, but I've heard plenty of others find it satisfying when trying to give up soda.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! You can do it!
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Welcome, the best part of this site is that it makes me think twice before I eat anything. Also, whenever you are tempted to eat something high in calories, sugar, whatever, just think of what you felt today at the doctors! Also, remember, you are going to stumble, just don't let one stumble turn in to a roll down a hill.
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This will work if you let it and feel free to ask questions, you will never lack for opinions on here. Set small goals along the way and try to work your way up to more as you feel ready. Don't overdue the exercise right away if your body is not use to it. The more you lose the more you will feel more active, energetic and actually crave exercise. Feel free to add me as a friend! Good luck!
  • Leisarene
    Leisarene Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :smile: Welcome. Just take one day at a time! You can do this. MFP has been a God send for me!
  • auntnoreen
    Options
    I also started about a week ago. I am now watching what I eat and I'm walking everyday plus I bought a treadmill that I have the iFit for so that's a huge help. I'm 50 years old and have gained 40 lbs in the last 4 years . May not seem like much but it is to me..

This web site is a huge help because I have the App on my phone and I scan EVERYTHING in that I eat so it keeps me on top of what I put in my mouth.

I don't have the soda to give up but I do like my beer..so that's what I'm trying to stay away from, so far so good.

Walmart sells sparkling flavored water thats actually pretty good and comes in all kinds of flavors, It's called Clear American.

Here's a link http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sam-s-Choice-Clear-American-Flavored-Sparkling-Water-Beverage-Golden-Peach-2-l/11303923

Hope that helps with the soda thing.

Good Luck to you and everyone else, stay motivated.. :-)
  • Tigger31179
    Tigger31179 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much everyone!

I'm so used to the massive amount of sugar in cokes that the flavored water doesn't do much for me. LOL I'm going to give it a go again too. The caffeine is where I have an issue. I can't STAND the taste of coffee, unless it is a Starbucks Frap, and that defeats the purpose, or tea. I may try the flavored sparkling water with part of a Crystal Light energy flavor pack thingy in it to spice up the flavor a bit.

That 100 lbs is a BIG scary number. I will NEVER forget seeing that weight on the scale today. I almost cried. And my doc is the kind of doc that will hold me accountable. I go back in 10 days for other issues (arthritic back at 34... SUCKS) and he will want to see this site set up, I'm sure! When I told him I drink 4-5 cans of soda a day his jaw almost hit the floor. He didn't mean it in a rude way, just kind of like, you are asking me about losing weight and you drink THAT much soda. Get real girl. LOL Big wake up call.

Anyway, add me if you like, I love new friends, and I need people to keep me motivated and accountable! Help me kick my *kitten*!
  • Tinapopo
    Tinapopo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    hi welcome
  • tmuellenberg
    tmuellenberg Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You've got a great doctor, i love hearing it when docs tell it like it is and don't sugar coat it. You can do it!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much everyone!

I'm so used to the massive amount of sugar in cokes that the flavored water doesn't do much for me. LOL I'm going to give it a go again too. The caffeine is where I have an issue. I can't STAND the taste of coffee, unless it is a Starbucks Frap, and that defeats the purpose, or tea. I may try the flavored sparkling water with part of a Crystal Light energy flavor pack thingy in it to spice up the flavor a bit.

That 100 lbs is a BIG scary number. I will NEVER forget seeing that weight on the scale today. I almost cried. And my doc is the kind of doc that will hold me accountable. I go back in 10 days for other issues (arthritic back at 34... SUCKS) and he will want to see this site set up, I'm sure! When I told him I drink 4-5 cans of soda a day his jaw almost hit the floor. He didn't mean it in a rude way, just kind of like, you are asking me about losing weight and you drink THAT much soda. Get real girl. LOL Big wake up call.

Anyway, add me if you like, I love new friends, and I need people to keep me motivated and accountable! Help me kick my *kitten*!

I highly recommend the WHOLE program but these two things might help you right now.

Motivation: A friend of mine was drinking 6 cokes a day. He didn't even know he was doing it. His wife made sure there was always a Coke at hand for him. He quit drinking all sugared drinks and lost 30 lbs in 4 months making NO other lifestyle changes! If you can do this it will be a great kick start for your new lifestyle.

If you need the caffeine and you might for awhile if you were used to that much, you might try Red Bull Sugar Free. It's not great for you but it is sugar free and will give you a little kick.

Good Luck! You CAN do it!
  • Tigger31179
    Tigger31179 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to do one diet soda a day for a week or so for now. I'm also going to try a blonde roast coffee with sugar free syrup, stevia or something like that and light creamer to try to take some of the bitter taste out of it. We will see what happens. I'm excited though!
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    welcome! I thought 100 seemed like a lot when I started out, but, now I'm 1/2 way to my goal and it wasn't very hard. you just have to have patience, watch your calories, and do some walking if thats what you like doing(thats what I did). watch your sugars and sodium. I used to have about 2 cans of pop a day, I just quit buying it and now I don't crave it. It was more of just a bad habit to grab it at certain times of the day. I do have an occasional diet sundrop when we go out to eat or something - but, other then that-- its water.
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You really can do it and you have come to the perfect community to help you. My friends and the success stories on MFP have helped me lose 100lbs since June last year. I recently gained back 10lbs and am determined to lose it and the 60lbs I have to got to get my healthy BMI. I am on here every day and am happy to more friends. The more the merrier!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    And you CAN do it! Don't look at 100 pounds...thats just scary. Take it 10 pounds at a time. I have found this site to be so beneficial to keeping me on track. Best of luck to you! Feel free to add me if you like. I still have 70 pounds to go so I am in for the long haul!