When I am running my milnd tells me to stop

Options

Replies

• Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Do you guys run everyday or every other day? Sometimes I want to run everyday , but the c25k says not to. So I don't.
    Sometimes when I'm on the c25k program I feel like I can keep running, but then it tells me to walk, so I do. But I'm thinking I'm going to just try run as long , take short break and run again until I get to 3.1 miles.
    Do you guys think this will work or should I stick to the program.?
  • ThisNewFitGirl
    ThisNewFitGirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started running a few months ago. I signed up for 5 non-refundable 5K's so I didn't have a choice. When I don't wanna wake up at 5AM and do the 3 or 4 miles I tell myself that If I dont train that all that money will be down the drain.

When your legs start to hurt dont just stop altother, just slow down to a very slow jog or a very fast paced power walk. But dont stop altogether. If you need to slow down dont feel bad but dont stop, keep your body moving and constantly think that someone is chasing you...or at least that's what I do. You're natural adrenaline kicks in when your body is in panic mode so that can help give you that second wind.
  • ThisNewFitGirl
    ThisNewFitGirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Stick to the program. i'm telling you. You may think you're ready but it's better to listen and walk when it tells you to. And try to limit it to running 3 days a week. I'm at 4 now because i've upped my mileage but it's better to stick to the what the program is telling so you dont burn out
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Another thing I find running is good for is writing. I know, sounds daft! But if you have anything to write - a letter, a report, a blog, a thread on MFP - let the words bounce around in your head while you run. They'll settle into a nice coherent order.

Ooo I'm going to give this a try!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Try doing intervals instead of a continuous steady pace. It's better exercise and easier mentally IMHO but you just have to get yourself through the current interval, then you have a brief respite.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    I'm going to go run tonight. Instead of the treadmill, I'm going to go up on the walking track. I did that the other day and it seemed workout good. There's usually not to many people up there.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Use this running mantra, "I stop when I'm done, NOT when I'm tired"!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I heard if you focus on your breathing, it distracts you.. personally, if I focus on my breathing and run at intervals, I always finish my run no matter the distance.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My mental mantra was always - "Don't stop because you want to, only stop if you *have* to."

Every time I just felt like stopping, I'd just repeat that to myself until I got past the urge to stop and kept on going.

Also, I found that the best way to pass the time is to daydream. Like full on, immerse yourself in your wildest fantasy with dialogue and a timeline, kind of day dreaming.

Nathan Fillion was with me on many, many miles. And those were always the easiest to run. I'd suddenly find myself three miles later down the trail without realizing how far I'd gotten. ;)
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Just got done running. Week3D1 of c210k.
    And it went great. It was really good. I'm so excited. I told myself I can do this... I slowed down my pace a little and my body never got tired. I am so pumped! I could yell from the roof top...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. It keeps going even when my mind wants to stop.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    When I run, I drown out that voice with some Daft Punk. It works like a charm :)
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm more lame than everyone else, but what worked for me was being kind to myself in the beginning.

I figured I'd never get into running if I hated it and dreaded it. So I would say "Okay, I'm going to get moving outside for an hour" or "I'm going to be on this treadmill for an hour."

I'd try running whenever the fancy hit me, run as long as I felt I could, then walk. As soon as I felt okay again, I'd run again.

I didn't get upset at myself for stopping. The longer I worked at it, the better my cardiovascular system got, and the more I *wanted* to push past the tired/mental block point because I started to believe that I could. So being able to run 4 minutes straight turned into 10, which turned into 30, which turned into 45 minutes. That's all I can do at the moment, but it gets better all the time. This was all over the course of a few months.

And I was someone who thought I'd NEVER be a runner.

Also, an awesome playlist of high-tempo songs was a lifesaver.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You just have to have the mental strength to press on. The same thing happens to me - almost always i feel like crap the first mile or 1.5 miles of my run but i just grin and take it, bite my lip or focus on the song on my ipod or whatever. Sure enough you keep plugging away, the distance adds up and you start feeling stronger and better.

I think it's a pretty common thing.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The little voice inside your head that says that is a liar...and a *kitten* (at least that's what I call her)! Your mind always gives up before your body does. I say this mantra when I am getting tired "My legs are strong, my feet are light". Someone on MFP said this and I love it! It keeps me going :)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Your mind has no idea what it's talking about.

Unless your brain is in your legs, tell it to STFU!
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Happy Easter!,
    No running today, I'm so sore I can hardly move. Yesterday I put in tile in my bathroom, hallway and foyer. It's a nice rest day for me.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Happy Easter, glad you got a good run in this weekend.

I did 10k this morning, and it was a real struggle - the wind, the cold, the hills, the pain in my knee/shin/kidneys.

I had to keep telling myself that the only thing I had to beat was the voice in my head saying I couldn't do it.
  • emelia_
    emelia_ Posts: 91
    Options
    I've been running since high school and my mind still tells me to stop. I think running with a friend of iPod makes it easier to keep going. I think boredom gets my mind roaming and I start to think about my breathing and pace and how I don't want to be doing this anymore!

Best advice is to just get out and do it, it's always going to be harder after a day or two off but routine makes it easier.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    I was going to go run today , but not sure if I should seance I'm so tired and sire