Personal Trainers

Options
Hi...

I am wondering if anyone can help.

I am looking at doing some one-on-one personal training sessions at my local gym. There are a few trainers available there & don't know which would suit me better.
I need to do weights to help with the tone & shape of muscles & I reckon I will need to be YELLED at.
Should I perhaps interview potential trainers? What questions would/should i ask a trainer? And, importantly, should I get a great looking one ;) (nah..I kidd)

Is or has anyone been through this?

Cass

Replies

• spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    Personal training takes your fitness to an unbelievable level! It is worth the money when you gage the results. Indeed you should interview as it will probably be one of your larger purchases this year! You will have specific needs (like being yelled at) and ea of those trainers will have specific skills. You may even have go seek outside of your gym, Personal trainers are not created equal. That being said when you find the right one which you will do, you will not believe the incredible high you will get from achieving and the empowerment! You will feel like a rockstar!
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Options
    Cass, I have used a personal trainer for 5 years. Over that period, I've tried 5 different individuals and found their styles quite different. You need to do more than interview them, you need to have a work out session or two with potential candidates. If you can observe them working with clients, you may get a feel for their methods too. By all means select one who is certified.

I found that some trainers were very easy going, almost afraid to push me... on the other hand, one was intent on being a drill sergeant, and tried to push me way beyond my physical capabilities and was oblivious to an old knee injury I'd pointed out that was in my record with the gym.

Contrary to what they do on TV, no one should be yelled at or embarrassed by their trainer.... motivated and pushed to excel, yes. It's a balance, and you need to feel confident in your trainer, not compare your situation to reality TV shows... which emphasize the drama for the audience, not in the best long term interest for the client seeking fitness.
  • RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    agreed. im a personal trainer and i LOVE motivating people... but its gotta be the right fit. sometimes the chemistry just isnt there so interview, even buy 1 training (if possible) to see what it would be like before making major decisions! good luck :)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    When I signed up with my personal trainer I had my first meeting with the training manager and had an indepth discussion on my needs and goals and they placed me with the trainer best suited for me. I have not regretted it. If you do go with a personal trainer at your gym and after awhile you don't get the results you are looking for and you have had open discussions about it you can ask to switch to another trainer. Since they should all be under the same training company you would not be breaking any contract you are under. You should also check with your gym if you decided to go to an outside source for your personal trainer as some gyms do not allow outside personal trainers and you wouldn't want to hire one and not be able to use them at your gym.

Getting a personal trainer I think was one of the best things I did and I even now consider her a friend.
  • cassbam
    cassbam Posts: 9
    Options
    Also on this then...how often a week should i be seeing a personal trainer?

Cass