Food addiction and Alcohol * sad*

Options
1235»

Replies

• blackkitty22
    Options
    Feeling much better I went to the gym and worked out and then hit the pool for some laps.. My wine hang over is gone.. drinking lots of water helped that. now to focus on a healthy dinner which will include NO WINE! Thanks everyone for all the positive comments! you would not believe how much they helped! thanks so much!
  • Itsbhoney
    Itsbhoney Posts: 17
    Options
    So brave of you for posting. We ALL have been there. You just have to forget it and keep going. It's like falling off the wagon. You have to start again. Don't feel bad. Everyone cheats every now and again :)
  • katzbluez
    katzbluez Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Addiction is a serious problem that requires professional help, regardless of the addiction. You are NOT weak! You just need to learn different coping mechanisms.

Here's something I read on here, that I love, and I fall back on it if I slip (if I can find the topic, I'll post the link). It's a mind set called "Get the **** over it". It's perfect.

Binge eat? Get the **** over it. You HAVEN'T blown it. Restart at your next meal (NOT next week, next Monday, next month).
    Bad day of eating? Get the **** over it. Start again tomorrow.
    Skip exercising? Get the **** over it. Get on the floor and do a few push ups and sit ups.

Basically, stop harping on the slip, or the bad, and IMMEDIATELY start again. This really works for me if I have a bad day - I just get the **** over it, lol!

^^^^ love this!! will remember it for myself...
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like.

My rule is once my head hits the pillow today is over. I don't carry the negative into the next day and beat myself up over it I start fresh!!!

You are human you slipped, kick yourself in the pants right now and then forget about it and move on and make today be the best day ever!!!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You didnt blow anything! It is human nature to fall every once in awhile. the point is to get up and learn from it.

we are allowed to eat what we want at times. If you eat too much, it's okay. don't feel so bloody guilty over it. As long as you stand back up, brush yourself back off and carry on the rest of the days taking care of yourself and treating yourself rigiht (including your mental stability) then you will be okay

its normal. dont be so harsh on yourself!
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. You're not an *addict*.
    Don't deny yourself wine in the first place, make it a part of your diet.
    One glass of red wine a few nights, heck, even every night, isn't bad for you.

If you deny yourself the food and drink that makes you happy, you're going to be miserable.
    Follow an 80/20 rule and maintain your sanity.

And please stop being so hard on yourself!

I do agree with this nice attractive woman here............:bigsmile:

Heyyyy ;) and thanks!
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but this is wrong. If the OP is saying she has a problem and an addiction, then she does. And having one glass of wine to an alcoholic is as bad as one hit to a heroin addict.

I agree that one glass of wine for an alcoholic can be very damaging.

I suppose I don't really know if the OP is actually an alcoholic.

She said she is however, she also included that she's a "food addict". To me, that label (what does that even mean?) made it seem a bit facetious and provided some jest. An over dramatization of blowing your diet, if you will.

What I gathered from her post was that she over did it one night because she had been depriving herself of wine for the sake of losing weight.

I can related because I used to think I needed to give up beer to lose weight, but that's not the case. Yes, if I get drunk, I will want copious amounts of Taco Bell but if I have a beer or two with a healthy dinner. I satiate my cravings and still stay on track :)
  • caseyhubenthal
    Options
    Sounds like my story too! Don't feel guilty, and don't let that one night throw you off track. In the scheme of things, that one day isn't going to make much of a difference if you stick with what you were doing - really!
  • caseyhubenthal
    Options
    Thanks for posting this- I will definitely use it. Next time I screw up I won't wait until the next meal/day/week to start again.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, I don't drink often, but when I do, it's not just 1 drink, it's a whole bottle of wine, or 6 or 7 mixed drinks. Then I overeat, and of course pig out on hangover food the next day. Needless to say, I just don't drink much at all anymore.

I agree with some posters, if you think you have an alcohol problem, AA is there. But if you can just say no completely, then just do it. Tell yourself, "no alcohol till I am down 10lbs", or whatever. Make a goal and stick to it. Then when you hit that goal, go celebrate - responsibly.
  • CaribChick
    CaribChick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Food guilt is the worst. I think we can all agree. It doesn't matter what the trigger is. You ate/drank, more than you intended. I'm struggling with the same feelings today. I snacked my way through making lunches for my family last night and I felt like a failure this morning. We put an awful lot of pressure on ourselves. We want everything to be perfect everyday and it simply isn't. All of these great people have said the same thing, today is a new day. Move on. I needed that advice too.
    PS: I'm a long time paralegal so I understand the law firm dynamic. It would make any person drink every now and then!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If you think you might have a problem, I'd recommend you address it now.

If you wait for the long terms of alcohol to dictate when you are forced to quit, it will be ugly and you might end up dead.

I'm lucky to be alive myself.

2,238 days sober now & happier and healthier than I've ever been.

All alcohol ever did for me was hold me back.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options

If you deny yourself the food and drink that makes you happy, you're going to be miserable.
    Follow an 80/20 rule and maintain your sanity.

And please stop being so hard on yourself!

i have to disagree with you here. you can't know the OP is an addict--only she can. if she truly has an addiction to food or alcohol, then it's up to her to address it and it's our job to support her. i loved drinking too, once upon a time, but i had a lot of terrible consequences rack up as a result (including guilt and shamefests). if the OP can safely curb her drinking, more power to her. but if she can't, then help is there, and in all forms.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    my town is so small and I know so many people

you say this as if there is some shame in being an alcoholic.

Are diabetics ashamed of their disease?

Are cancer patients ashamed of their tumor?

There is no shame in treating a disease, the only shame would be in not dealing with it.

I'm an alcoholic. I am treating my disease. I am proud of my sobriety.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    bumping to see how OP is doing...?
  • BdBoop
    BdBoop Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    BlackKitty22, I can totally identify with you. I too cannot be trusted with alcohol, especially wine! It is a trigger for me. I can stop at one banana. I can stop with one sandwich. But when it comes to alcohol it is like the flood gates open and it's every man and woman for themselves! Only you can determine if it is a problem for you. It sure was for me. I crawled into a support group 6 years ago and have not had a drink since.

Working on the food issues are much more elusive. Food is necessary for survival and so much of our lives revolve around eating. Social gatherings, holidays, special occasions and even funerals. It's not what I am eating but what is eating at me? When I am anxious it is so much easier to grab a fatty carb than to stop and reflect why I feel anxious.
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Bane81
    Bane81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was horribly addicted to alcohol for many, many years. I finally broke that bottle once I took responsibility for my actions and got myself clean. Now of course, everyone is different, some can drink, I just know I can't now. When you over drink, your body will crave more carbs.

Big reason why I ballooned up to 310 was drinking too much beer, then order pizza, chinese, (insert random fast food junk here).

I've read having 3 drinks a week isn't too bad if you can handle not going over it. If you're really serious about losing weight though, cut the booze out for at least 60-90 days.
  • jasminetoi
    jasminetoi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading the book "LOOK GREAT FEEL GREAT" by Joyce Meyer

the book is so uplifting and motivational and provides a different out look on food and makes our struggle seem less hard!its also a very quick and easy read

think about how far youve come!!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=joyce+meyer+look+great+feel+great&sprefix=JOYCE+MEYER+LOOK,aps,241
  • Eperkins2882
    Eperkins2882 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes. I would feel ashamed and upset at myself the next day. I would drink excessively and then eat everything in sight. No wonder I became so fat!! I had developed a fungus on my toenails and was given medicine to take care of it. Since the medicine can be tough on your liver, I decided that I should stop drinking. I wanted to have pretty toenails worse than I wanted a drink or damaged liver so it wasn't that hard of a choice for me. After I quit drinking, I realized that I had so much more willpower and strength than I gave myself credit for. I started MFP and I have been proud of myself and I am not giving up this time. I may have a drink at some point but it will be within my calorie budget. I wish you luck as I know the feeling all too well.