Homemade-Premade grab and go lunches to store in the fridge

Options

Replies

• averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily for your primary entree, but hopefully of some use. What started as a time saver for me has become not only a time saver, but healthier eating for the whole family. I bought snack size baggies and disposable mini cups. Instead of boxes of cereal, we now have the pre-portioned bowls or snack baggies with one portion. Morning time saver, good for grab and go snacking and actually cut down on cereal and milk waste.

There is now a snack bowl with baggies of trail mix, cocoa roast almonds (my fave), dried fruits, etc. All ready to grab and throw into the lunchbox, bag, purse.

I even have a designated fridge drawer with mini-cups filled with peanut butter, salad dressing, cheese dip, greek yogurt cream cheese (another fav), caramel dip, etc. They fit perfectly into snack baggies with an appropriate portion of celery, carrot sticks, apple slices, etc. There's also plenty of room for those individual string cheeses, yogurts, cuties, etc.

I also use the mini-cups for salad add ins like pepitas, cheese, hard boiled egg (cooked shell-less in microwave). A 2 tbs medicine cup makes for quick portioning.

The kids help me get everything ready when I come home from the store. Obviously most of these things can be bought already in individual sizes, but I found the price difference to be too great for my budget. For example, the trail mix, 8 portions pre-packaged versus 25 DIY for the same money.

I also like the mini cans of tuna or chicken salad packed with the crackers and spoon for $1 from Dollar General. Just as fast, cheap and easy as running through the drive thru, but I feel they're at least a little healthier alternative.
  • hismommy2
    hismommy2 Posts: 40
    Options
    Sometimes I am too busy as well to make a sandwich....although I always have time to make hubby's lunch and the kids'..lol. So what I have started doing is when I make tuna salad, egg salad or chicken salad I spit it in smaller containers and then all I have to do in the morning is throw bread or a tortilla in a plastic bag and go. But what helps with this is on Saturdays after grocery shopping I cut up all my vegetables and put them in smaller bagges for grab and go. This includes spinach and lettuce, etc. And I have plastic bins in my fridge that are labeled with what is in them (yes, slightly OCD here :))

See. This is why I need y'alls help!! tuna and chicken salad...perfect!! Thank you!!
  • hismommy2
    Options
    Not necessarily for your primary entree, but hopefully of some use. What started as a time saver for me has become not only a time saver, but healthier eating for the whole family. I bought snack size baggies and disposable mini cups. Instead of boxes of cereal, we now have the pre-portioned bowls or snack baggies with one portion. Morning time saver, good for grab and go snacking and actually cut down on cereal and milk waste.

There is now a snack bowl with baggies of trail mix, cocoa roast almonds (my fave), dried fruits, etc. All ready to grab and throw into the lunchbox, bag, purse.

I even have a designated fridge drawer with mini-cups filled with peanut butter, salad dressing, cheese dip, greek yogurt cream cheese (another fav), caramel dip, etc. They fit perfectly into snack baggies with an appropriate portion of celery, carrot sticks, apple slices, etc. There's also plenty of room for those individual string cheeses, yogurts, cuties, etc.

I also use the mini-cups for salad add ins like pepitas, cheese, hard boiled egg (cooked shell-less in microwave). A 2 tbs medicine cup makes for quick portioning.

The kids help me get everything ready when I come home from the store. Obviously most of these things can be bought already in individual sizes, but I found the price difference to be too great for my budget. For example, the trail mix, 8 portions pre-packaged versus 25 DIY for the same money.

I also like the mini cans of tuna or chicken salad packed with the crackers and spoon for $1 from Dollar General. Just as fast, cheap and easy as running through the drive thru, but I feel they're at least a little healthier alternative.

I do want to get the individual cups for stuff. do they usually sell them at walmart? the disposable ones. And I totally agree on the price of doing it yourself or buying them.
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I do want to get the individual cups for stuff. do they usually sell them at walmart? the disposable ones. And I totally agree on the price of doing it yourself or buying them.

I get my snack size baggies and sandwich baggies at the dollar tree. I buy the plastic containers wherever I see them on sale. Usually Walmart has them the cheapest.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    As someone who stays up better than I wake up, I also like to minimize my "get out the door" processes in the mornings. My approach is generally to make the recipe on Sunday and, instead of putting it on plates, I put it in microwave-safe containers. Then I just load up my lunch bag on my way out the door. Generally, I find this lets me use any recipe I like as long as it reheats well. But, as a bachelor, I have the free time to dedicate an hour or two over my weekend to preparing my meals (I usually pre-make 3 recipes each week). Your family situation may not let you carve out that time to dedicate to your lunches.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    in the winter i do a lot of big soups, casseroles, and stews and always have leftovers I take for lunch. Not so much the case during spring and summer when I tend to make a lot more stuff that just gets thrown on the grill and is usually just a serving for my wife and I. This time of year I tend to roast a Turkey breast or pork sirloin roast or something and cut that all up to take for lunches along with whatever veg is coming along for the ride.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It took a bit to locate as our Wal-mart keeps them tucked away on the top shelf over by the straws and plastic utensils. It's the only place I've located the disposables. Dollar Tree here sometimes has re-useable ones 10 or 12 in a pack and we do have some, but I prefer the disposables.

Make sure if you do your own apple slices to get Fresh Fruit to keep them from turning brown. I get the Biggest Loser ready to eat celery and cut 2 stalks in thirds for each snack baggie/mini cup. Here at least its cheaper than getting a regular celery stalk or hearts.

There are a lot of dips and such cropping up with the Greek yogurt too that taste like the original to me but with better nutritional stats. Our most used are spinach dip and the whipped cream cheese.

The green lids off of the Emerald Almonds are 1/4 cup, the serving size. They come from the store, into the lid and into a snack baggie. The Equate trail mix has the same 1/4 cup serving listed and I just use the same lid and portion out the big trail mix bag as well. One child opens the baggies, I measure and dump, then another child seals and tosses into the snack bowl. It's similar with the dips and veggies.

My eldest or DH carts everything into the house while the little ones and I put away. It goes really fast and then everything is just ready to go for the week.
  • GNeiswender
    GNeiswender Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like to cook chicken on Sunday - weigh it out into baggies and ready to go. I pair it with the boxes of veggies from Green Giant (ie: vision healthy, healthy weight, etc.)

When I first started this journey I added an individual microwavable cup of rice or multi-blend from Minute Rice . . . it is filling and easy to grab and go.

I sometimes pull my items together the night before - if I'm going to have leftovers, fruit, drink, etc. and put it at a specific "staging area" in my fridge for convenience.

A mix of roasted veggies do well all week too . . . but not a variety like you asked for.
  • hismommy2
    Options

I get my snack size baggies and sandwich baggies at the dollar tree. I buy the plastic containers wherever I see them on sale. Usually Walmart has them the cheapest.

good. I love me some dollar tree haha. thanks!!!
  • hismommy2
    Options
    Thanks yall so much!!! I'll let you know how I do this afternoon
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I usually try to prep the night before. I portion out "leftovers" from whatever dinner was for lunch. If you don't have access to a microwave at work, have you thought about pre-making a sandwich the night prior, throw in some fruit and a veggie and you are set to go?

I have friends that meal prep on Sundays. They will make a menu for the week, prep and cook on Sunday, then portion out for each day of the week for lunch, this would be another option. Personally, I only like to eat leftovers if they are less than 2 days old.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Whooo that bruise when some of these people fall off that high horse. 5AM I am TIRED, so I can definitely see where the OP is coming from.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @cinthiatwayne what does your tatoo mean?

To OP I like to take some meat and veggies and make a stir fry and then simmer it in a tomato based sauce with spices and place it in containers for the week. It looks like junk but tastes really good.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Maybe because I am lazy...is that a problem?? I work over 40+ hours a week, have a 4 year old and a husband that acts like a child, yes, if I don't want to make a nasty cold sandwich I'm not going to!!

Oh and I'm pregnant!!!

I work 40+ hours a week as well. I also go to school full time on the side. I am also in a committed relationship. I take care of my elderly grandmother as well, and I do all of this as a 19 year old that shouldn't have all of this responsibility. The difference between you and I is that I'm not using my busy life as an excuse for not taking the time to be healthy.
    Because the simple fact of the matter is, while I juggle my busy life and end up staying late at work many days out of the week, then get home and do homework, then try to fit in my workout, and do laundry, and clean the apartment, and take care of the pets and make dinner, I find time somewhere in all of that mess to plan my meals for the week so I am not lost in the morning as I'm running out the door.
    Your pregnancy is MORE reason for you to take the extra time out of the day to plan ahead. You NEED to be healthy for your child. That's not optional, although many people think it is.

The bottom line is, you're in the wrong place if you're looking for sympathy. I've seen people on this forum absolutely tear others apart. I am not in any way, shape or form trying to be mean or put you down, but you do need to realize that you are one of many of us on this site that is busy... We just aren't making excuses about it.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Also, if I did have or wanted to make the time to get up even earlier I wouldn't have made this post. I think I'd rather have a good soup or leftovers than a sandwich.

If this is the case and you simply don't want a sandwich, then you need to find time on Saturday or Sunday to make homemade meals and ration them for the week ahead.
    I understand where you're coming from, I really do, but it's not that hard. Cook when baby goes to bed. Cook before baby gets up. Cook while baby is outside playing or watching TV. I have babysat for too many children that age to count.. They are easily occupied and don't need somebody right over their shoulder 24/7.
    I really don't mean to sound so harsh but honestly, you're me before I started doing all of this. All I see is excuses. There is no reason in the world why people can't become healthy, it's the excuses they make that stop them.
  • arcticbutterfly
    arcticbutterfly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I understand the get out the door in the mornings mentality. I made a soup a few weeks ago and it was soooo good and low fat and I put in in containers and nuked it at work.
    2lbs ground beef ( browned)
    2 cans red kidney beans, 2 cans corn, 2 packets taco seasoning, one can beef broth 2 cans tomato juice, 1 can diced tomatoes throw it all in the crock. gosh I am doing this by memory and feel like im missing something. but this with a piece of fruit is like 300 calories.
    Just the being pregnant is enough to make you too tired to do anything! Its been a while (Im 46) but I remember it well! Good job little momma keep it up!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Thanks for making this thread. I would like some new ideas as well. Sandwiches every day are boring!

The only thing I can think of to add are "salads in a jar". You can prepack 5 days worth of them and there isn't much prepwork.... if you are into salads ;)
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Love this thread keep the ideas coming....for those of you who feel the need to reprimand someone for trying to be healthier with a busy life...please keep your 2 cents to yourself. There's really no need for negativity in a place where people come to share ideas and try to better themselves. It's just not necessary and takes away from the thread, not to mention makes me not want to share things with you a-holes.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with you people? Seriously, you need some help with reading comprehension!

She was asking for meals she could make ahead of time and keep in the fridge to grab as she is running out the door in the am. That isn't called lazy, that is called time management.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm in a time crunch, I will get a bag of pre-cooked frozen chicken breasts from Kroger (they only need 25 minutes in the oven) and bake them while I'm in the shower. I then microwave 2 of the 90 second bags of Uncle Bens Rice. By the time I have the 6 bowls out and the chicken placed in them, the rice is done. I split the rice into 3 servings per bag and dump it over a chicken breast. Around 300 calories, filling and you've pretty much made 6 lunches while you were in the shower. Chicken is around 6 dollars and the rice is about a 1 dollar a bag so you're looking at around $1.35 per meal and it was no work at all. Supplement with veggies if you choose.

Another favorite:

Pork tenderloin in the crockpot. Either with sauerkraut or when it's done pull it apart with forks and put back in the crockpot with barbeque sauce and have pulled pork.

Boiled eggs, yogurt, fresh veggies and almonds are also a good lunch combo.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.