Water weight is weighing me down :(

Options
I have been using this wonderful site for 4 weeks now and I have only lost 2 lbs. :sad: I weighed in after the first week and had a 2lb weight loss. I have reduced and been faithful to lowering my calorie intake to 1200 and have slowly introduced exercise to my body. I've NEVER been one for exercising but know it is something I must do now to reach my goal of losing 20 lbs. So after the second week I was actually excited to weigh in, but BAM I had GAINED the 2 lbs back!!:angry: As disappointed as I was, I did not let that take me off of this journey I am on. I have fibromyalgia, neuropathy, arthritis and diabetes and being 42 years old, I have decided to make a health change and am still full of determination.

But here's the deal... after I exercise or walk any length of time just grocery shopping or such, my feet and ankles swell -not humongously but still noticeable even to others -which is embarrassing to me when they comment on it. The first thing I think of, of course, is SALT. But I don't even eat that much salt -especially on this new healthier diet I've been on. And so I'm sure the reason for not losing the lbs I should have by now is due to the water retention I've got going on. And as a matter of fact, I haven't even been on the scale since that last disappointing moment. But if I don't have any swelling going on in the morning, I will weigh in again.... with my fingers crossed!

So I'm just wondering if anyone else may have this same problem.... or any suggestions or ideas?

And I also want to thank everyone on here for being so supportive ----:flowerforyou: -this website and it's members are so totally AWESOME!!

Have a great day, yall!!

Replies

• tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking half your weight (at least) 8 8oz glasses of water a day? I easily retain water and this really helps. Stay with it, no matter ho slowly you lose, it will come off.
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to say I have the same problem with water retention. I had blood clots a few years back which has both legs and feet swollen something terrible especially the left one. I know alot of weight I gain is fluid. It may sound strange since we retain water but the more water you drink the more it will come out. I look at sodium content before I even look at calories. A few things I have learned on this journey. The more you are on your feet the more they will swell. Try to prop them up during the day. Stay away from carbonated drinks. Even the diet ones they are full of sodium. Most people think when you start trying to lose weight that celery is something good to munch on. I learned at Weight Watchers [yes, I am a weight watchers drop out] that a stalk of celery is like eating a teaspoon of salt. Celery holds fluid. Add lemon juice or use a vineragrette dressing. They help pull out fluid with the vinegar in them.
    Hope that might help you some. Hang it there the fluid will start to move and don't get discouraged when you see people saying a weight drop is just fluid. That is one thing that upsets me. Our fluid loss is just as important as losing the fat. If you have ten pounds of fluid in your body that is ten pounds that needs to come off. Hang in there. It will get better. KAYE:wink:
  • wilkypoo
    wilkypoo Posts: 52
    Options
    Tcac -thanks for the post.... unfortunately,I have always enjoyed drinking water about as much as I've enjoyed exercising :noway: (nadda). But since being on MFP I have also included water, aiming for the 8 -8oz. glasses, but usually only reaching 4-6 daily. So I will increase that and make it a priority to reach the 8 a day.

Thank you so much for reminding me to do this. :flowerforyou:

-Sherri
  • wilkypoo
    wilkypoo Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to say I have the same problem with water retention. I had blood clots a few years back which has both legs and feet swollen something terrible especially the left one. I know alot of weight I gain is fluid. It may sound strange since we retain water but the more water you drink the more it will come out. I look at sodium content before I even look at calories. A few things I have learned on this journey. The more you are on your feet the more they will swell. Try to prop them up during the day. Stay away from carbonated drinks. Even the diet ones they are full of sodium. Most people think when you start trying to lose weight that celery is something good to munch on. I learned at Weight Watchers [yes, I am a weight watchers drop out] that a stalk of celery is like eating a teaspoon of salt. Celery holds fluid. Add lemon juice or use a vineragrette dressing. They help pull out fluid with the vinegar in them.
    Hope that might help you some. Hang it there the fluid will start to move and don't get discouraged when you see people saying a weight drop is just fluid. That is one thing that upsets me. Our fluid loss is just as important as losing the fat. If you have ten pounds of fluid in your body that is ten pounds that needs to come off. Hang in there. It will get better. KAYE:wink:

Kaye, thanks for this information. When you mentioned the lemon juice pulling out fluid with the vinegar in it, it reminded me of something else I had read. I read that drinking a tsp or two of apple cider vinegar could help to reduce carb cravings. And also, doing so before a meal can help your glucose level from spiking after a meal.... are you familiar with this? I found that extremely interesting since I am a diabetic.

I remember my Mother and Grandmother both taking a swig of apple cider vinegar here and there but never thought to ask how or why they did this... I just thought it was gross! (yes, I was young and health was no concern for me then, which I'm paying for now). Neither of them were diabetic. They would also give me a tsp of sugar with vinegar poured over it when I would have a coughing-fit at night. It seemed to work. And yes, I do the same for my kids. :)

So would the apple cider vinegar alone help in pulling the fluid out? That would be great to conquer two of my issues at once. :smile: :smile:
  • Chrissie_B
    Chrissie_B Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    :smile:

Hi, I read your post with interest then went seraching re cider vinegar and found this:

http://www.24hrfitness.co.uk/nutrition/cider-vinegar-health-benefits.html

Cider Vinegar And Weight Loss

Cider Vinegar has been used for weight loss purposes for many years. It is said to be a natural and effective way to lose unwanted pound and inches. To get the most benefits from the cider vinegar it should never be distilled, filtered or pasteurized as these processes destroy the vitamins, nutrients and fermentation properties that aid in weight loss. This type of cider vinegar should be available in a health food store.

To use cider vinegar as a weight reduction technique drink one or two teaspoons of the vinegar mixed in water before each meal. The weight loss that you can expect to see will be a gradual loss as the body’s fat cells begin to shrink.

No one is really sure how the cider vinegar works. Some believe that the nutrients, enzymes and acids act as an appetite suppressor and increase the metabolic rate of the body. Others feel that it reduces the amount of water retention, breaks down the fat in the body and gives the drinker an overall sense of well being. Whatever the reason cider vinegar will be a healthy addition to your daily routine.

AND

http://www.ostlerscidermill.co.uk/acatalog/Benefits.html

I hope this helps:flowerforyou: