Is it worth it when you aren't losing weight?

Options
Fridays are my weigh in day. I started Insanity a month ago. Since then, I have gained two pounds. I know, I know, this can be common when starting a new program. But for this long? I am close to tears because I am eating at a deficit and getting up early to bust my butt every day and the scale isn't going down. If I wanted the scale to be stagnant, I wouldn't be doing this. So I am just feeling like the hours I put in each week to figure out my food and get in my workouts would be better spent on something else. :(

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Fridays are my weigh in day. I started Insanity a month ago. Since then, I have gained two pounds. I know, I know, this can be common when starting a new program. But for this long? I am close to tears because I am eating at a deficit and getting up early to bust my butt every day and the scale isn't going down. If I wanted the scale to be stagnant, I wouldn't be doing this. So I am just feeling like the hours I put in each week to figure out my food and get in my workouts would be better spent on something else. :(

What about your body measurements?
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scale. It's not your friend. How do you feel? Do you feel stronger/faster/lighter/happier/etc?
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Is your body changing? Measurements? Looser fitting clothes?
    If YES, then the scale doesn't matter.
  • Compudad
    Compudad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as free energy, If you are truly operating at a calorie deficit than you are burning fat. Try measuring yourself on your Friday weigh in days to see your loss. The scale is not the only scorekeeper.

Eventually, if you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, the scale will catch up.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Definitely start measuring. I'm doing the same. The thing is...you could be replacing fat with muscle...so you may not lose weight but you may lose inches.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight since August, and I have went down clothing sizes... so yes! not only is it worth it becuase you will see your measurements change if you are exercising BUT you are living a more healthy, active lifestyle and that brings a lot of positives too. More energy, less sickness, less chances of health issues, etc.

And, in the end you will find your balance and lose weight. Just keep your chin up.
  • ohmygod45
    ohmygod45 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in the same boat. I also use Fitbit and it calculates that I should be loosing 2.5lb per week and I have stayed the same now for 4 weeks. I am up at 6.30 am doing Jillian Michaels and keep myself active all day. I weigh all food and count every calorie. What else can it be? it is disappointing when I weigh in on a Saturday but I am always excited and hopeful again on Friday as I have tried hard and done well all week!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for about 2ish years. Even though I'd like to lose more, if I wasn't still doing all the things (watching what I eat and exercising regularly), I'd be gaining weight and losing the strength, flexibility, and health I have because of my efforts. In my mind, it is worth every minute.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Don't focus on the scale. Take measurements. And how do you feel???? You must feel better and have more energy and sleep better at now. Stick with it! The scale will soon follow:smile:
  • stylee79
    stylee79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the same workout each morning? I've had the same issue (still do sometimes). My body got used to the same activity. Switching it up seemed to help.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly like I did yesterday. I lose and gain, lose and gain lately. Out of curiosity this morning I pulled my favorite jeans out and tried them on. They fit again!!!!! While the scale is not going down as I would like, I must be doing something right. So to answer your question, yes, it's worth it. Let's both keep on keeping on and we will do this!!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? You might not be creating the calorie deficit you think you are. If you are eating back your exercise cals, try eating back only half of them and see if that helps. Calculators only give you a rough estimate of calories you should eat. You need to use trial and error to find the level that works for you.
  • kristinrayerootes
    kristinrayerootes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do feel good. The workouts are becoming easier, do obviously something good is happening. I haven't taken measurements, but I know I need to. I just get busy and forget. Maybe I should set a reminder on my phone. I have heard of people not having results from Insanity, but it seems that is a vast minority of people. I am 5'8" and weighing in at 186 right now, so I definitely have the fat to give up. And....onmygod45 I also use Fitbit and am coming in with what its calorie goal for the day is too. It is just frustrating when you are doing everything you know you should and not seeing that darn scale budge! I wasn't even going to weigh in this week and maybe I shouldn't have. Who knows, I am not going to count my calories on Sunday this week and maybe that will help me get a good drop! Thanks for all the supportive feedback!
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've already lost a fair amount of weight! Be proud of THAT! When you start getting closer to your BMI and below, it becomes harder to lose. I'm set to losing a pound a week and it took almost 3 weeks to lose 1.5 lbs. It just slows down. People plateu. One of my friends got just below her highest possible BMI, and was stuck for about 2-3 months, then 5 more lbs just MELTED off! Be patient, work hard, and watch your measurements for a while. You're doing great things for your self and maintaining a great lifestyle!
  • lisabundy5
    Options
    You need to eat more than you are burning, so if this is what you have been doing it's the reason you aren't losing. If you are under then the body is storing what you eat. Try throwing in something new 2 or 3 days a week to change up the routine. Just like food, feed the body something different so it's confused. Also, like everyone else has said, if you feel better, have more energy, more endurance, the clothes are fitting better then the scale is JUST a number.

Keep going! It WILL be worth it.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    So you haven't seen any other benefits to a month of working out? You don't feel better? You don't move better? You aren't eating healthier? Weight is only one singular way to measure progress and quite often it's not even a good one. you should be doing measurements, you should be taking pictures, you should be noticing other changes with and within yourself.

Personally, I haven't lost weight in a few weeks now, but dropped a pants size. what have you noticed changing? Get out of your rut of thinking the scale defines you
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    What else would you be doing? If I just stopped, the only thing that would happen is that a year from now I'd have 50 pounds to lose instead of 20.

Time will pass either way. May as well make it count.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?

Quoting this, because this is - after height and weight, which OP has answered - the most important piece of the puzzle.

edit: Well, this, and how much are you trying to lose at at time? For a woman @ 5'8", I'd guess you wanted to get to 150-160.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    If you looked the way you wanted to, fit the clothes you wanted to, are much more physically fit then you were before, and people think you look fabulous, then how much does weight REALLY matter?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Yes. I never want the lifestyle I had before.