If your activity level is set to high.......

Options
....... and you then add in your exercises, are you crediting yourself with too many calories? Or does MFP adjust accordingly? Or does the higher activity level mean you DON'T add your exercises in to your diary?

I'm still confused :smile:

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The MFP activity level should be set based on what you do when you're not exercising. E.g. Sitting on butt all day would be sedentary, some walking about would be lightly active, job that requires being on foot all day would be moderate/highly active. Choose whichever is most appropriate for you and then add exercise on top.

However, if you mean activity setting using a TDEE calculator, then you already factor in your exercise so in this case you would not need to add them as extra.
  • BrittneyT2
    BrittneyT2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you aren't sure what activity level to choose, I would pick the lesser of the two and then log exercise and any activity above the level you selected, then eat back your expended calories. Ex: if you set it to sedentary, then I would log everything including cooking, because anything you do above sitting or lying around is activity above what you've givin MFP to go by.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I am not forsure but I think if it is set to high that means your day before workout is high so you should add in those calories.

But then again I might move it down from high depending on your job if you aren't seeing weight loss. Have you been seeing the results you want? With 81 pounds lost I am guessing so?
  • Chocoholic55555
    Chocoholic55555 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

So far I've had it set to sedentary & added exercise in on top. I am quite busy as i have two young children. Now I'm in maintenance I don't want to cheat myself out of calories I'm allowed, but I don't want to gain weight either.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I set mine to high for a while because when I didn't my FitBit would adjust it to the point that my goal would be at least 2500 on some days (for 1lb per week loss). Due to injury I've now set it to sedentary but I'll put it back up once I'm better.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If you get a Bodymedia Git and wer it all day and link it to,MFP, you will not have to do any guestimating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ....... and you then add in your exercises, are you crediting yourself with too many calories? Or does MFP adjust accordingly? Or does the higher activity level mean you DON'T add your exercises in to your diary?

I'm still confused :smile:

Your activity level should be set to what you do...if you are using the MFP method, this is what you do during the day, not including exercise...ie exercise is extra. If you're using TDEE method, it's everything, including your exercise.

By the by...most people aren't "sedentary"...even if they have a desk job and don't exercise that much. Sedentary is pretty much crawl out of bed and walk to couch and call it a day.
  • MAYONNAISESANDWICH
    Options
    I am training to be XBOX King of Houston in June. Although i game for 16+ hours for the last 8 weeks and the next few months, i drink red bull zero and monster low carb...keeps metabolism up and calories low. doing this, I think i am able to still cut bodyfat and stay marginally healthy. 3 monsters a day equals moderately active in my book.
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Exercise is supposed to be extra to activity level. I may do 800 cal workouts daily, but other than that I work in IT and stay at a desk or walk around minimally.

I set my level as the lowest activity. Then I log any exercise I do. If I have a day with no exercise, my numbers are correct, and if I get an 800 cal credit from working out then it adjusts and my numbers are still correct.

That's the best way to do it. Unless your job is super physically demanding, it is easiest to put the lowest level and then just logging any and all exercise.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Exercise is supposed to be extra to activity level. I may do 800 cal workouts daily, but other than that I work in IT and stay at a desk or walk around minimally.

I set my level as the lowest activity. Then I log any exercise I do. If I have a day with no exercise, my numbers are correct, and if I get an 800 cal credit from working out then it adjusts and my numbers are still correct.

That's the best way to do it. Unless your job is super physically demanding, it is easiest to put the lowest level and then just logging any and all exercise.
    I have been trying to say this exact same thing in another thread! I completely agree.