ethiopian food

Options
meeting a friend for dinner tonight and i've never had this kind of food before--

for anyone that has had it before, what can i expect (is it spicy? do i have to eat with my hands?), and what might some good options be to order? I'm generally not too picky with food :) looking for something reasonably healthy but more importantly something that will be tasty

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Some of it is spicy, but it will tell you on the menu which items are. In general, Ethiopian food is just exceptionally well seasoned and the flavors are amazing and beautifully balanced, but not overtly spicy.

Yes, you will eat with your hands. You will be served pieces of a large, flat, cold, slightly sour bread called injera (or enjera) that you will tear small pieces of it off and use it to pick up the food. The food will also be served on a full piece of injera on a platter that you can also eat if you run out of the bread they brought you.

No worries about tastiness, everything will be tasty. They will likely have a number of vegetarian options on the menu that my husband and I typically get at least one of, usually the Miser Wot (red lentils in a slightly spicy sauce) or the Shiro Wot (chickpeas in sauce).

For the mains, know that anything that says wot (or wat) will be in a sauce and tibs (or tebs) will be strips of meat sauceless, but have been cooked in purified butter. Since it's you're first time I'd recommend trying at least on tibs style (chose which meat and flavor combo sounds most appealing to you) as well as wot in a different meat choice from what you chose for the tibs.

And there are lots of other options, like Gored Gored which is a seasoned, seared cubed beef dish that's amazingly delicious and flavorful. Kitfo is a ground beef option and can be found raw some places, but if that isn't your style, you can typically also get it rare or medium rare.

I'd recommend getting at least three options for two people. If you are feeling a bit hungrier, then go for four items. But the hubby and I are usually pretty good with three since the injera is a natural part of it and helps fill you up as well.

Overall, Ethiopian is one of my favorite cuisines and was a common meal for us to head to for dinner on my long run days when I was training for my half marathons. Depending on choices made, workout for the day, (and how much injera I down), I've logged meals from about 600 calories up to 1200.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Be prepared to have a new favorite food.
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lucky you. Have not tried it yet but plan to soon. Make sure to tell us what you thought of the whole experience afterwards, I will be curious
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    awesome, thanks for the tips! i'm looking forward to trying it!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Some of it is spicy, some not. I found it similar to Indian food with lots of curry type mixes (but again, not all spicy). Where I went, you ate with your hands and used flat bread. The best warning I received, the bread is a little like soggy pancakes. I was prepared, so it didn't gross me out. And it's super tasty. Love Ethiopian food.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Get ready for a flavor explosion! Ethiopian food is phenomenal.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I didn't think too much of it. But then I am an Indian and have a whole different view of what "spicy" means.I did like their INJERA. bread.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Make sure to not touch any food with your left hand and enjoy yourself. The food is much better than I expected.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I like Ethiopian food a lot even though I have not had it too many times. It is spicy in that it is heavily spiced, but most dishes I've had were not really hot spicy (unless the menu indicates otherwise of course.) The inerja is a little different, soggy slightly-sour pancake is a good way to put it. Sounds terrible but it is good, just give it a go. I would reccomend trying a few different things to share. Some restaurants have combo plates where you get a little bit of several dishes served on a big inerja sheet. Have fun with it!
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Be prepared to have a new favorite food.

No kidding. I still mourn Madison's late Somali restaurant (similar cuisine), Horn of Africa, even though it's been gone for years. Food was amazing, and the owner was so charming. I think she visited with every single patron of her restaurant. RIP.
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I LOVE Ethiopian food! I used to live in DC, which has lots of Ethiopian restaurants, and everywhere I went, I found that I always liked the vegetarian dishes better than those with meat, some of which were also difficult to eat without making a complete mess of yourself (like chicken drumsticks). Enjoy!!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Ethiopian food is one of my favorites. Typically it is served with a thin pancake like bread which you can use to scoop it up. You may also ask for utensils. You are going to love it. Damn, now I'm hungry.
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My daughter is Ethiopian, so we eat Ethiopian food often and love it!

My suggestion would be to order a combo platter (either vegetarian or meat or 1 of each if there are enough of you to eat that much). That way you can sample lots of different dishes and find your favorite.

The primary spice mixture in Ethiopian food is berbere, which has quite a lot of ground red chili in it. Almost any "wat" (stew) will use berbere and my rule of thumb is "the redder it is, the spicier it is". Doro wat (chicken stew) is considered the national dish of Ethiopia and is delicious.

My daughter doesn't like spicy food yet so her favorites are kik alicha (yellow lentils), gomen (greens), and tibs (meat cooked without the berbere).

Medeset ye erat! (Enjoy your dinner!)
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    They gonna have your a** eating Tibs. Don't worry about any utensils! As for me, No Thanks. I'll stick to Ghanan & Nigerian food.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Zed's Ethiopian Cuisine in Georgetown fairly often. Fantastic food - was never disappointed. Highly recommended for anyone in the DC area.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Ethiopian food! The flavour explosion OMG! You're gonna have a new favourite cuisine! I'm Indian, so it isn't really spicy for me at all. Also, since I eat with my hands anyway and I'm used to eating roti/naan to pick up veggie/meat curry, it wasn't a very different experience.

I love the chicken stew called Doro Wat. I even bought berbere spice mixture from a local Ethiopian store to make it at home. Tastes delicious! They usually have a veggie platter too where they give you 4-5 options with lentils, split pigeon peas, cabbage and spinach all laid out on injera bread. I log the veggie platter as 750-800 cals and the chicken+veggie platter as 800-1000 depending on how much I stuffed down myself!

Don't forget to finish off without their coffee! It is usually excellent!