What was your breaking point?

Options

Replies

• Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight since I was a freshman in college...then I gained a lot of weight after Hurricane Sandy. Even my "too big" clothes were tight on me and I looked awful in everything. I woke up one morning in December and was like "no". Then my friend posted pictures from her Christmas party and I was disgusted with myself so here I am!
  • kinu21_82
    kinu21_82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Mine was when i couldn't fit into any of my clothes anymore....and i started to wear stretch pants almost everyday to work...But i refused to buy next size clothes....Also, i could not carry my 2 yr old and climb stairs anymore...and i am 30 yrs old....couldn't imagine how i would be at 40 or 50 if this continued....So i decided i had to do something...started with 7 day GM diet on Feb 26, 2013....could only do 5 days of the diet....then 2nd week of march i started Nutrisystem....By Mar 21st (my 31st b'day) i was down 10lbs...all the while it was MFP that helped me stick to the diet plans ....i have another 15lbs to lose to reach my goal weight...
  • AboutT1ME
    AboutT1ME Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    in 2010 i had size 64 pants and they were starting to get tight. i took a good long drive (my thinking time) and realized my silverados seat belt barely fit around me. so i had a nice long mental breakdown for about an hour...and it all started to change. I realized this is not how i wanted to live and i needed to get in control of myself. in 2010 i was 22 and weighed 489 pounds. 489... that number still haunts me. I'm now 25 and down to 380. everyone has their breaking point, i just hope everyone has theirs before mine. one odd thing i realized when i was 23, until that point i had never actually felt full. my idea of being full was making myself sick from eating too much. i really still don't know what feeling full feels like but i know i need to control myself and its working.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Most recently (since I've gained, lost,gained many times) my breaking point was when my size 18 jeans were getting really tight. I'm in a 12/14 now. :smile:
  • kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have had a couple of "breaking points", the first was last summer when I went to Six Flags America and found out in the most embarassing way that I was too fat to ride most of the roller coasters. That just put me into a funk for a while which did me absolutely no good. Then in December I went to the doctor because of some migraines and weighed in at exactly 300 pounds. I could not believe this. There is no way I could weigh that much. Since then I have started the process to have gastric bypass and I have lost 17 pounds. I am back to where I was last summer and unfortunately I still cant' ride some of the coasters at Six Flags. This time it did not send me into a funk but has inspired me to lose the weight by the end of the summer so that I can make the most of my season passes. I am tired of being the fat lady. I just want to be me.
  • Wanderson1311
    Wanderson1311 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was 350 pounds. That was my heaviest. My daughter was riding her bike and she flipped over the handle bars and fell face first into the sidewalk. I was siting on the porch and took off walking really fast (cause lets face it I couldn't run and even walking fast was difficult) I got to her and she was ok but she had broken her wrist. Well, long story short that was my breaking point. I was soooo thankful that my daughter was ok and yes she did break her wrist but at least she didn't get seriously injuried. After we got back from the ER and getting her all bandaged up. I sat down on the couch and cried. I cried because what if she had been seriously injuried and I could not get to her in time. Then that opened the door to look back and really take a good hard look at my life. How much I have really just sat on the side lines watching my kids play or run or anything. How much my kids probably missed out on because I was to overweight to do anything. So that is when I made the change I joined myfitnesspal and started working out 5 days a week. I had lost 120 pounds but then here recently I started gaining back the weight. So here I am now!!!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    In all honestly, I bought one size bigger pant. Which was actually a size 2 Express dress pant. They fall off of me now. I was never big and always wore childrens sizes but just that small amount of weight changed me forever. I was so sendentary, work a desk job and was going home and laying around watching TV and eating whatever I wanted.

Never again!
  • mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mine was when my mother said, "The doctor says I've crossed the line from pre-diabetic to diabetic." That leaves me as the only person in my family that is NOT diabetic, and I have no intention of letting it happen without a fight!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    It's horrible, but constantly being rejected because of my weight.
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mine was when my husband and I were talking about his father passing last summer. Sometime around the first of January this year, we were talking about how awful it was that his dad died at 64 of a heart attack, because of a crappy lifestyle...eating out almost all the time, or eating 3 homemade cheeseburgers, or 2-3 pot pies at a time. Plus smoking all the time. (I quit smoking 10 days after his dad passed) We were both very close to his dad, and it made us realize how short and fragile life is. Now our kids are growing up missing a wonderful grandpa. We want to be around for a LONG time. See our kids grown, married, happy, successful and have many years with our future grandkids. My husband is down almost 40 lbs since last fall, and I'm down 27 lbs since Jan. 4.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    My breaking point was when I was researching getting a breast reduction surgery and going to my doctor to document my back pain so that insurance would pay for it. I wasn't sure that losing weight would reduce my breast size, but I promised myself that I would give it my all before going under the knife. Six months later, I have lost a total of 8 inches on the fullest part of my boob measurement. They are still bigger than I prefer but they don't make me have bad pain anymore.
  • Trisha_e
    Trisha_e Posts: 27
    Options
    I've always wanted to lose weight, but it wasn't until Summer 2012 that I got really serious about it.

I was at the airport going to a family reunion when this old woman comes up to me and asked me when I was due to give birth. :cry: My body is apple-shaped so my fat is all in my stomach and that was about the rudest and hurtful thing ever. Then when I went to the family reunion, everyone...and I mean EVERYONE (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandma, dad) all said I was fat. Not "oh you got bigger" or "wow you look different" But they said "WOW, you got really FAT!" and if that wasn't bad enough, they'd grab onto my fat and pinch and joke around. It was traumatic for me.

After that, when I came back home, I weighed myself and was horrified to see that I was nearing obesity for my height, age and weight. Well, I started hitting the gym 1-3 times a week for 30 mins, cut alcohol out of my life. I joined MFP recently so I can keep count of my calories. This time I am so much more determined to finish.
  • Brummig
    Brummig Posts: 94
    Options
    In 2010 I did a healthy eating thing with my son, more about trying to get him more active really, but parents were involved too. We were weighed at beginning and end and I was please to have lost 5lb. Then it was summer hols. I thought I did okay, and kept up some of the good habits, but when I weighed myself when we got back from a week ago I had not only gained back the 5lbs, but more too and had tipped over into 14 stone! A few days before DH and I had been talking about '40' things I could do for my 40th, and he said 'lose 40lbs' - at first I thought 'ridiculous, I'd be way too skinny', and then worked out I'd still be very overweight! The next day I joined Slimming World. I'd lost my 40lbs less than 5 months later, and went on to lose another 33 - and kept it off.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    mine was my sister catching me walking from bedroom to bathroom in just a tiny towel. she actually gasped and looked horrified. neither she nor i had really realised how underweight i had become. she said i looked like an insect.
  • bubbinsnik
    bubbinsnik Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself and was 198lbs. I couldn't believe that I was nearly 200lbs and I'd let it happen, I had to sort it out. Down to 182lbs now and still going strong.
  • jennypenny133
    jennypenny133 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just a few months ago a previous boss of mine died of a heart attack. She was 30. Yes, she was overweight and actually might have weighed a little less than me. I have a 9 month old daughter so I desperately want to be around for a long time to see her grow up. I also want to be a good role model for her so lives a long, full life.
  • pixied12
    pixied12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was in a bad relationships (first guy I ever dated) and he said if I didn't lose the weight that was it. The deal was that he would quit smoking if I lost weight.

I lost weight.

He's still smoking.

And I've got a much better boyfriend now. ^.^
  • aubreejo
    aubreejo Posts: 1
    Options
    good luck!
  • pixied12
    pixied12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny when an ex-husband/boyfriend sees you now? I laugh to myself every time my ex-husband/boyfriend see me and comment on the weight loss I've had. I think to myself, "haha sucka!"
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Hospitalized with a blood glucose of 584, an A1c of 14% and a 15cm abscess in my left groin that required surgery.

I was told I was near coma levels and that if I didn't get straight soon they'd be cutting off body parts next.

6 months later i'm 6.3% A1c and 58 pounds lighter.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!