cheat days?

Options
So my husband and I are attempting a lifestyle change. We are starting slow by doing portion control first then integrating more and more changes. My question is regarding cheat days- my husband says they are necessary. I feel HORRIBLE whenever I do have a cheat day, because it makes me feel weak. Nutrition wise, is this cheat day smart or not?
I appreciate all input!! Thanks

Replies

• GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of saving some calories for the end of the evening so that you can have a nice treat for all your hard work during the day.
    If you deprive yourself of everything you use to eat, you'll end up craving all day and feeling guilty when you binge out. Keep it within your calories and you're good.
  • MizzSoriano
    Options
    see THAT sounds like a better plan than having 1 day full of "eat whatever you want!"
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Cheat days don't work for me on a weekly basis. It is way too easy for me to fall off the wagon that way. And, left to my own devices, I can consume 3000 calories by noon on a day when I'm not counting!

One reasonable cheat meal a week works better for me, but even that seems to be a bit much. I think one treat a week, which does not fit into my calorie goals, may be a better way to manage things for me.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. Way too many calories can be consumed in a day. But I do believe in cheat meals once a week or so. If you completely deprive yourself of something, you'll find yourself binging.
  • dcyr009
    dcyr009 Posts: 93
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day. I add healthy snacks to my diet as part of my calorie budget. Things like Thinkthin protein bars or Arctic Zero Ice Cream (150 calories) a pint. I eat at the same time every day. Your body gets use to a routine. If you incorporate cheat days, I believe you're body gets confused and requests the same amount of calories the next day. Which starts a bad habit and/or makes the next few days after harder to deal with?

This is just my own opinion and experience. Other people could be okay with it and not have this issue.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't have them. I belong to the school of "everything is allowed in moderation" so if I want a treat, I make sure it fits my calories and macros and I eat it. If I think of cheating then I won't be in the right frame of mind to know that this is a lifestyle change and not something temporary.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    If I'm going out for a nice dinner (not a chain place) I'll save some calories the day before and make up for it the day after. Most studies say a weekly average is the most important thing.

If your husband wants to have a cheat day then let him. You can do what's right for you. Go ahead and have a few wings and a beer; just log it and adjust your other meals accordingly.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Call it what you want. You are here for a reason. You are cheating yourself!
  • pilarter
    pilarter Posts: 49
    Options
    I say to myself "no sweat, no sweet". No cheating when eating chocolate If I am under my calorie goal, so I check calories in the evening, and see what I can "afford" to eat. Working out a little bit would be a good change in your routine, together or not, and would allow you both some "cheating" almost every day.
    Anyway, "whatever you feel like" is never a good option. It is easier to get used to new healthy rewards, same or more tasty, and you won´t feel so guilty.
  • slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat DAYS so much as a cheat meal every week or two. And to be honest... it's more of a reward of eating something I wouldn't normally consume but still in moderation. That way I don't feel like I'm completely deprived of the sweet things in life and can still maintain my normal rhythm. I typically still try to work it in calorie wise but don't beat myself up if it doesn't work out... One day or meal off your plan is better than falling off the wagon because you can't shake the cravings.
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do not have "cheat" days I have "free" days - where I do not track. I do not go crazy "overeating" but I do save that day for a glass of wine or 5 :drinker: but I feel like if we don't allow ourselves a time to splurge then we will feel deprived and fall off the wagon. MY free day is Sunday after my weigh in and then I am back to tracking on Monday! :bigsmile:

I just log "Free Day" with that calorie total and click "DONE" for the day. So it's a mental break too - a break from all the careful logging.

My first few free days were total gluttony but I found that I felt like crap, so these days I moderate myself fairly well. But if I want something, I just have it. No guilt.

:happy:
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set cheat meal or day. However, if I when I'm going out to dinner, if I want something "bad" for me, I just plan ahead. Eat an extra healthy, light lunch, exercise more, etc. Same if I'm going to a party or something. Worst case, I go out unplanned, I will eat what I'm in the mood for whether good or bad & adjust over the next few days. It's not what you eat in 24 hrs, it's what you eat over time. Don't cheat yourself out of what you want - just plan accordingly & you'll do great.
  • mjwarford
    mjwarford Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I prefer to think of myself having a free meal once a week. I don't feel that I am cheating if I fit it into my calories and have worked hard. A free whole day is a bit too much for me. I think if I never gave myself a free meal, I would feel too restricted and want to quit. For me it is about overall lifestyle, not that I can never have ice cream again.
  • summerluvinfit
    summerluvinfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We have a cheat "meal" every Saturday and stay within our calories - but the carbs can go over for the day. It works out great for us because we know we can have anything we crave on the weekend and helps us stay on track the entire week!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I have a really high day occasionally (and always log it), I do this to learn how to work around it and still lose. So I don't consider it a cheat, I consider it practice.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    My answer would be, if a cheat day doesnt make you feel good, then why would you do it?

I think portion control is the key, and you are on the right track. Small, manageable changes. It may be a pain to count out my chips, but i still get to HAVE chips.

If you look at my diary, you will see I havent stopped eating carbs or sweets on a daily basis, but I'm always right around my calorie goal for the most part (monday was rough as it was the day after a trip and i was jetlagged and difficult)
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i think the difference here is the mindset. i used to have cheat days, or i would eat something bad for lunch and when it came time for dinner i would be like... ehhh screw it, my day is already shot. that's when i was restricting myself too much, either cutting too many things out of my diet or having too low of a calorie goal. i still go over from time to time, but it's pretty rare.

editted to add: we have pizza at least once a week, i will not pass up on a burger and some cajun fries from five guys if my hubby suggests it and still stay within my calorie goals (most of the time)
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So my husband and I are attempting a lifestyle change. We are starting slow by doing portion control first then integrating more and more changes. My question is regarding cheat days- my husband says they are necessary. I feel HORRIBLE whenever I do have a cheat day, because it makes me feel weak. Nutrition wise, is this cheat day smart or not?
    I appreciate all input!! Thanks

If it makes you feel like crap, you're doing it wrong.
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Cheat days do not work for me at all. They turn into cheat every days. I have a hard time going back to making healthy choices after I have a cheat day. I do better with balance so I try to eat mostly healthy with treats sprinkled throughout.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic, we don't get cheat days if we want good glycemic control =)

My wife won't diet without "cheat meals" - not full days, she has two cheat meals per week.

But really, if you're feeling a need for "cheat meals" or "cheat days" you may be doing something wrong. I can eat almost anything I want in one form or another (there's lots of good low-carb/sugar-free recipes for desserts or whatever) without 'cheating' on my diet, and as-such never feel deprived.