What am I doing wrong? Is it the booze?

Options
124»

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the "non-judgmental" advice! I have don massive amounts of research, but I guess I just didn't believe it because I've drank in the past and lost weight. The food I eat during the week is very healthy!!! I have oatmeal for breakfast, maybe 60 cal yogurt for a snack, veggie burger and raw veggies for lunch and another raw veggie with hummus snack before I leave work, and then get home, have a 50 cal string cheese, go to the gym and have fish and veggies (or similar) for dinner. I'm also not eating when I drink, EVER! We don't go to bars. We stay home or go to a friends and hang out, no food involved! I agree I'm eating only 1200 calories, but good calories. I don't know how I could eat a whole lot more! I guess I did know the answer to the question, I just wanted answers from people that understand and also like to have drinks, because I am having a hard time believing that those 2,000 calories on a Saturday are hindering my weight loss after everything else I am doing correctly. Well, I guess the only way to prove it to myself is to do an experiment that consists of no drinking and see where that takes me! Thanks for all your advice, and to the people who also like to have drinks and understand where I'm coming from, let me know when you find the cure :-)
    Thanks again!!

It seems like all the hard work you do during the week is getting undone over the weekend. Even HRM arent exact, so you could be overestimating your burn. Do you log the drinks?? Maybe if you prelog your alcohol, and then calculate your deficit for the week rather than each day, and see if you are still at deficit. Its easy to lose that week long deficit with one night of drinking. Especially if you are not positive how much you drink. Are you sure its 12 drinks and a couple shots or could it be 13 drinks and 4 shots etc.
    I lost over 100 lbs when I was in my 20's and continued to drink at least 1-2x per week. then after children in my 30's I found that if I drank, I wouldnt see a loss that week. (if I drank a substantial amount, like more than 2-3) Decide whats more important to you....And good luck!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    You're an alcoholic.
    Are you driving after drinking a twelve pack plus shots?
    You're a danger to society.
    Quit drinking before you kill yourself or someone else.
    I would say that trumps weight loss.
    REALLY??!?!?!
    BAHAHAHHHAAHHAHAH!!! I might agree if I were doing this and driving around town, but I'm NOT! I'm in the comfort of my own home an if I do happen to go out (rarely) I take a can!! I have THREE degrees!! I think I can drink as much as I want!!
    I think I'll have a few shots for you this weekend!!

Everyone else, thanks for your real life advice!!!!

you have 3 degrees and you had to ask on a forum what the problem is? You need people to tell you its the booze? Really? Go to AA
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you will not have deficit of 3500cal per week, you will not loose 1 lbs per week...as simple as that.
    thats what happening to me. Even if i eat 1200 cal per day, if i wount make deficit in cal doing physical activity, i wount loose....and i am not loosing right now, bc i dont go to gym...silly me:flowerforyou:

1200 cals a day INCLUDES a deficit....
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

Thanks, but I think I'm alright!!! Just a normal, hard working girl without any kids. I think I'm allowed!!! But thanks so much! I've never heard of AA!!!

with your 3 degrees and living in the USA you've never heard of AA?
    Sounds like a troll to me. Now I know it must be Saturday.
  • coeyd79
    coeyd79 Posts: 19
    Options

Thanks, but I think I'm alright!!! Just a normal, hard working girl without any kids. I think I'm allowed!!! But thanks so much! I've never heard of AA!!!

with your 3 degrees and living in the USA you've never heard of AA?
    Sounds like a troll to me. Now I know it must be Saturday.
    You never herd of sarcasm?????? Ha!!! And, yes, I did want to get real people's advice because everybody is different, and like I said, I've lost weight before while drinking!!! If I save calories to go out for a 1,000 calorie dinner, what's the difference if I save up for booze!!!! Just wanted real people's advice! Isn't that what this is for???
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    I find this interesting: you ask the question, "Is it the booze?"...and the majority of responses say yes, it is. And you become defensive about it ie: "what's the difference if I save up for booze?, and ...I've lost weight before while drinking, and...I think I can drink all I want, and...I drink 12 cans of beer with some shots of whiskey, and finally...I do it in the comfort of my own home and if I go out (rarely) I take a can...(I'm assuming that's a can of beer)...and I sincerely hope you're not drinking while driving.

Thing is, if drinking wasn't so important to you, and we were discussing eating sugar, or cookies, or bread affecting your weight loss, you probably wouldn't be so defensive... and you might say, yeah, I could cut them out. But you didn't. I just think (from some of your excuses) that alcohol may have more importance in your life than you admit to, but that's your business. Just my opinion.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I find this interesting: you ask the question, "Is it the booze?"...and the majority of responses say yes, it is. And you become defensive about it ie: "what's the difference if I save up for booze?, and ...I've lost weight before while drinking, and...I think I can drink all I want, and...I drink 12 cans of beer with some shots of whiskey, and finally...I do it in the comfort of my own home and if I go out (rarely) I take a can...(I'm assuming that's a can of beer)...and I sincerely hope you're not drinking while driving.

Thing is, if drinking wasn't so important to you, and we were discussing eating sugar, or cookies, or bread affecting your weight loss, you probably wouldn't be so defensive... and you might say, yeah, I could cut them out. But you didn't. I just think (from some of your excuses) that alcohol may have more importance in your life than you admit to, but that's your business. Just my opinion.

What she said^^^

You come in here asking for opinions, then get mad when you get the ones you don't like, and decide to just keep doing what you are doing, because that is what you want to do. Then you will keep getting the same results that you have been getting.
    You didn't come in here asking for opinions and advice, you came in here to have people tell you that what you are doing is just fine, and continue on with the party.

A 12 pack of beer plus 2 or more shots in one weekend, much less one night, is not normal social drinking. Perhaps on a birthday or Mardi Gras, but certainly not an every week occurrence. Weight issues aside, you need to use those degrees you have to do some research on what binge drinking is doing to your liver and pancreas. And especially how much worse it is for women.

Sorry if this pisses you off, but you did ask for our opinion. You are smart enough to know the answer yourself, even if you don't want to admit it.
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you put on 30lb over say six months you must have been consuming about 4000 calories a week more than you needed.

What you have done is reduce the food & increase the exercise, this is not a excess any more, and you have stopped putting on weight.

You need to either reduce your food, or booze calories.

I do 4:3 fasting so I choose to drop food, but it's your call.

So no it's not the booze, but it is a choice between Booze, Food and more exercise.

In some ways life is too short to stop doing what you enjoy, but maybe if you came off it every other weekend for just 6 months, or just did one month off it, then you would see a difference, and this may motivate you to carry on, or not, but the choice is yours, and we are not here to judge you.

I sincerely hope that you decide what is best for you. I have gone from drinking 1500 cals of booze EVERY day, to 1,000 three times a week, I have lost weight because I am so fat to start with, but it's a loosing game, and soon I want to drop this out all together..... It's not easy, but it's not that hard either, Sad Fat Drunk, or happy normal Sober chap, hmmmm that's a hard one!

Cheers!

PS. Log your binge drinking sessions then look at your graphs!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy a drink but certainly not the amount I used to enjoy and not the same kind of drinks either because I know I have to log it just like my food and I'm not prepared to go hungry for a drink.

Weekends used to mean a couple or three bottles of real ale or ciders (some of them were 290cal per bottle) which isn't possible now so I just have an occasional glass of wine and log it. If I've ate a lot (I'd a small dessert after dinner last night) then there might not be room for a drink so I don't have one.

I certainly won't suggest the OP has a drink problem for cutting loose on a weekend after a hard week at work but it would seem the deficit all week is being wiped out by some hefty alcohol calories come Saturday night which could explain the stalling.
  • coeyd79
    coeyd79 Posts: 19
    Options

Was supposed to say CAB!!!! And some people's weakness is twinkles, mine is enjoying drinks on the weekend.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I don't lose when drinking, which makes me very sad. :( one night of drinking will pretty much guarantee a stall for that week. Just how my body works.
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    so you're drinking heavily, eating crappy after a night of drinking and wondering why you aren't losing weight? yes, i'd say it's the booze.

^This. Exactly this.
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options

Was supposed to say CAB!!!! And some people's weakness is twinkles, mine is enjoying drinks on the weekend.

You know, if you were enjoying a drink or two, or even three...you probably wouldn't be getting the responses you've gotten. But you're drinking 12 CANS OF BEER AND SOME SHOTS OF WHISKEY if not more, every weekend, Twinkies aren't great for you, booze is definitely worse, and you'll defend drinking with no thoughts of cutting down...why? Because it's fun to grt hammered with your friends? Because the booze helps you forget? You want to lose weight? PLEASE cut down on the drinking and see what happens. Otherwise, "if you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got"...and that's fat.
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    so you're drinking heavily, eating crappy after a night of drinking and wondering why you aren't losing weight? yes, i'd say it's the booze.

this. plain and simple.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Two points:
    You can't out exercise a bad diet...
    Its not good to drink your calories even if they are not alcoholic (worse if they are)....