Chicken Hearts

Options
CoachReddy
CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
What should I do with 'em? Just bought a ****load of 'em because... well... I saw them at the store and they only cost like $2.50

Kali Ma and all that. :smile:

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    What should I do with 'em? Just bought a ****load of 'em because... well... I saw them at the store and they only cost like $2.50

Organ meats provide the best source of nutrients of the animal itself... but I honestly don't like the taste of them on their own... what I do is have my butcher grind them in with ground meat. (IE: I add a little liver or heart into my ground beef or ground chicken, etc.) Some butcher shops that make their own sausage will also include organ meats in it for you... Or you can make your own sausage and include it yourself if so inclined.

Some people I know just cut them up with other meats and include them in stir-fry, etc.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    i'm probably gonna try a couple tonight and see what happens. marinate them for a bit then sautee 'em up. seems they're good on a grill but a grill is something one typically lacks in a small NYC apartment. :tongue:

bought some chicken feet and backs too - but those are going to be made into stock. gimme that gelatin!
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Lol ok first I thought of the Bill Cosby chicken heart routine.

I know it is not healthy but I like them breaded and fried.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    Options
    P.s. google images shows a lot of images using them like a kabob meat.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

can be!

i make my own fried chicken using coconut oil and shredded coconut and almond flour to coat the chicken. ain't nothin' bad in there - and it tastes ridiculously good.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

LOL! The chicken heart that ate new york. Priceless!

... and breaded/fried isn't unhealthy if you use a breading that's NOT made of refined flour ...
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Do you have a cast iron grill pan? If so, you can grill them. If not, they are pretty afforable. I use Lodge brand. Make sure windows are open though.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Do you have a cast iron grill pan? If so, you can grill them. If not, they are pretty afforable. I use Lodge brand. Make sure windows are open though.

i don't right now. that should definitely go on the list of things to grab... thanks for the recipe!
  • KimLoan325
    Options
    Yum!

The epicurious recipe looks good, as do the yakitori style suggestions and grinding them into other meat patty mixtures!

I like them marinated (they're really lean) then sauteed and plated on greens, like I had at a tiny restaurant in Veraille, FR. I thought they were delicious, but my BF turned his nose up (they were whole) because he doesn't eat offal.

The server was trying to explain the dish in English and said, "Eeet eees... geeeeeeezaaard!"

Enjoy.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    Options

can be!

i make my own fried chicken using coconut oil and shredded coconut and almond flour to coat the chicken. ain't nothin' bad in there - and it tastes ridiculously good.

I thought coconut oil was supposed to be bad for you because of the saturated fats?
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

can be!

I thought coconut oil was supposed to be bad for you because of the saturated fats?

Noooooo! You just unleashed madness now.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Chicken hearts as well as liver are used in making traditional dirty rice. I've had them yakatori style before, very good. I like offal and am always up for trying new things, so let us know how it goes.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

can be!

nah, coconut oil is all good

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    i'm probably gonna try a couple tonight and see what happens. marinate them for a bit then sautee 'em up. seems they're good on a grill but a grill is something one typically lacks in a small NYC apartment. :tongue:

bought some chicken feet and backs too - but those are going to be made into stock. gimme that gelatin!

You can put the hearts in the soup as well. They deepen the stock and taste good boiled

Where did you find the Chicken feet and backs?? I can never find them (I'm also from NYC)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You can put the hearts in the soup as well. They deepen the stock and taste good boiled

Where did you find the Chicken feet and backs?? I can never find them (I'm also from NYC)

whole foods actually at 59th.

though i'm sure they're even cheaper down in chinatown
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My mom used to fry them up in a gravy then put them on toast. Thanks for uncovering the suppressed memories :tongue: I remember them being rubbery.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My mom cooks them in a hungarian goulash. She makes spetzel too and serves the goulash over it. I love chicken hearts that way.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    threw a few in the crock pot with my bones/backs/feet, along with some veggies and ACV - gonna be a helluva broth!
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Kali maaaaa....kali maaaa!!!

I eat chicken hearts and the like (other wild meat/hearts) with rice and peas, fry it all up with salt and pepper, tasty!!