What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.?

Options

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Meal timing is irrelevant to weight control. Excess caloric intake leads to gains. I typically eat 2000 calories within an hour of going to bed (and yes I've eaten all day as well). I stay within my needs and I achieve my goals.

Thanks for the lesson in nutrition but that's not what this topic is about. This topic is about obesity and why in a general sense Americans are over weight. I agree with you that Meal timing is irrelevant but again that is not what I was getting at. I was getting at, most Americans are full by lunch time on a typical 3 square meals a day as breakfast, lunch, and dinner are still heavily promoted and believed as the normal and proper way to eat.
    The rest of us who don't eat too much for breakfast or lunch do fine with dinner. They're eating too much for breakfast and lunch. It still comes down to eating too much, not what name a meal is given or what time it is consumed.

Yes i agree. They are eating too much because breakfast, lunch, and dinner all promoted as eating healthy. All three are promoted, mostly by TV ads and even taught in children's school text books. I remember learning about breakfast, lunch, and dinner my elementary text.

When I am referring to time, I am referring to leangains 8 hour timing window. You may choose any 8 consecutive hours of the day you want. Now as for timing window, I understand what you are saying but meal window timing does add a benefit over spacing your meals out. Take lean gains approach for example. The timing window to eat is 8 consecutive hours a day. It's barely long enough to fit two meals in when compared to the traditional 3 square meals. Following the 8 consecutive hours works because you do not have enough time to let food settle in and eat another big meal when compared to the traditional 3 meals a day approach.
  • ileen327
    ileen327 Posts: 21
    Options
    Absoulutly with you here! I don't think it gonna change until we become people that sit down and eat and stop running through fast food joints! And we have to stop with the thinking that the bigger the better~ And enjoy our food when we eat and slow down!!
    Everyone is too busy to take care of themselves~! I know, I was one of them. Always on the go, grabbing the worst food you could possibly eat most of the time. And using the excuse, " I will eat better tomorrow or diet tomorrow"
    Yes, we are a country full of large people, but after age 60 most of them have passed away!
    You don't see many fat old people! That is why I am here! I hope it is not too late for me.
    But, our youth, what's gonna happen to the videio game, fast food, sit and not move bunch!
    We as a nation have to wake up and smell the fresh fruit, grains and veggies~~~~ Ileen
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Meal timing is irrelevant to weight control. Excess caloric intake leads to gains. I typically eat 2000 calories within an hour of going to bed (and yes I've eaten all day as well). I stay within my needs and I achieve my goals.

Thanks for the lesson in nutrition but that's not what this topic is about. This topic is about obesity and why in a general sense Americans are over weight. I agree with you that Meal timing is irrelevant but again that is not what I was getting at. I was getting at, most Americans are full by lunch time on a typical 3 square meals a day as breakfast, lunch, and dinner are still heavily promoted and believed as the normal and proper way to eat.
    The rest of us who don't eat too much for breakfast or lunch do fine with dinner. They're eating too much for breakfast and lunch. It still comes down to eating too much, not what name a meal is given or what time it is consumed.

Yes i agree. They are eating too much because breakfast, lunch, and dinner all promoted as eating healthy. All three are promoted, mostly by TV ads and even taught in children's school text books. I remember learning about breakfast, lunch, and dinner my elementary text.

When I am referring to time, I am referring to leangains 8 hour timing window. You may choose any 8 consecutive hours of the day you want. Now as for timing window, I understand what you are saying but meal window timing does add a benefit over spacing your meals out. Take lean gains approach for example. The timing window to eat is 8 consecutive hours a day. It's barely long enough to fit two meals in when compared to the traditional 3 square meals. Following the 8 consecutive hours works because you do not have enough time to let food settle in and eat another big meal when compared to the traditional 3 meals a day approach.

I ate a 4000 calorie lunch on Sunday then followed it up, 4 hours later, with 20 oz of chicken breast, 1/2 lb of potato, 1/2 of spinach. An hour after that another 2000 calories of food consisting of a pint of ice cream, corn bread, pop tart & Ben & Jerry's ice cream sandwich.

Your statement is pretty broad. I can easily exceed my caloric goals within an hour windows. My goals are very high to begin with as well, 4,000 daily.

RejectReality_zps3ae4005b.gif
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    The government created the obesity epidemic. It is no accident that obesity began to rise when the government started telling people what to eat. More carbs, less mess and fat.
    I started losing weight when I starting eating more fat and meat and less carbs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The government created the obesity epidemic. It is no accident that obesity began to rise when the government started telling people what to eat. More carbs, less mess and fat.
    I started losing weight when I starting eating more fat and meat and less carbs.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5j9N_-qIqN9_1itZVCtvt2Wg-GgFGMHeTXTuEYSpU6nrliEgU4Q
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

I ate a 4000 calorie lunch on Sunday then followed it up, 4 hours later, with 20 oz of chicken breast, 1/2 lb of potato, 1/2 of spinach. An hour after that another 2000 calories of food consisting of a pint of ice cream, corn bread, pop tart & Ben & Jerry's ice cream sandwich.

Your statement is pretty broad. I can easily exceed my caloric goals within an hour windows. My goals are very high to begin with as well, 4,000 daily.

The statement is broad because it is in reference to the topic at hand, the reason why most Americns are obese, and not your individual calorie intake. Troll on.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Same. I also don't crave sugar and sweets. The Food Pyramid: the best advice I didn't take :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The statement is broad because it is in reference to the topic at hand, the reason why most Americns are obese, and not your individual calorie intake. Troll on.
    It seems like your whole purpose here is to promote IF or whatever that garbage is called. The thread is not "why Americans are not all Elite bodybuilders."
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Well, I hope you never have to quit working out, for some reason. Packing it in like that, in the absence of working out, would get you very quickly to packing it on (fat, I mean).
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    It seems like your whole purpose here is to promote IF or whatever that garbage is called. The thread is not "why Americans are not all Elite bodybuilders."

And I believe it is a good approach to eating. What's wrong with that? Stop hating?
  • magerum
    Options

Well, I hope you never have to quit working out, for some reason. Packing it in like that, in the absence of working out, would get you very quickly to packing it on (fat, I mean).

Simple math equation. I eat to meet my current goals, whatever I decide they are. Gain/lose/maintain.
  • magerum
    Options

You miss the point entirely, not surprising. I eat within my caloric limits (as pertaining to my goals). It has nothing to do with promoting an eating style, which seems to be your agenda. You try to vilify the traditional western eating habits of three meals a day. When simple education on caloric needs would do just fine. People would then be able to continue on with their meal traditions. That is what they are now, the family dinner has become a bonding experience for many families. A common time to come together and discuss the day that has gone by, not that I practice this myself, but that is what it has become so I accept it as reality.

TrollPuter_zpsbf3a1bdb.gif
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Americans are overwhelmingly so so SO fat. I see people who I wonder HOW can they be fat, due to their jobs, like police officers, nurses/doctors, gym teachers, mail carriers. If you work in health care you KNOW the effects of obesity, and if you have a very active job (like gym teacher) what is going on? Do they stuff themselves after school, or what?

I really feel pity for obese children. It's not their fault as they have no control over what they eat and by the time they understand what's been done to them so much damage has been done.

I do think now that the government is involved in healthcare there is going to be a drastic shift in how obesity is perceived. I predict that within a decade people are going to have to pay extra for things for being obese, in the same way smokers are. For example, take life insurance. Want life insurance? You can get it, but if you smoke you pay extra. Soon it's going to be the same for obesity.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    whoa, i thought about this post when I was at the grocery store today......its Good Friday, Im off and having family ovre

I cant begin to tell you how much I really noticed how big people are.............seriously, its Easter weekend, the bakery was so over filled with sweets, cakes, candy, do nuts, cookies, candy and more cookies in some of the brightest colors just begging to be bought

I bet in 25 years from now the obesity rate will surpass 50%..........its now about 33%.......Not a good sign.........the parents don't notice or they are unaware of their poor shopping skills...............really really a depressing thought............
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

You miss the point entirely, not surprising. I eat within my caloric limits (as pertaining to my goals). It has nothing to do with promoting an eating style, which seems to be your agenda. You try to vilify the traditional western eating habits of three meals a day. When simple education on caloric needs would do just fine. People would then be able to continue on with their meal traditions. That is what they are now, the family dinner has become a bonding experience for many families. A common time to come together and discuss the day that has gone by, not that I practice this myself, but that is what it has become so I accept it as reality.

TrollPuter_zpsbf3a1bdb.gif

tumblr_lsbgiiYKBi1r30yjlo1_400.gif
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Americans are overwhelmingly so so SO fat. I see people who I wonder HOW can they be fat, due to their jobs, like police officers, nurses/doctors, gym teachers, mail carriers. If you work in health care you KNOW the effects of obesity, and if you have a very active job (like gym teacher) what is going on? Do they stuff themselves after school, or what?

I really feel pity for obese children. It's not their fault as they have no control over what they eat and by the time they understand what's been done to them so much damage has been done.

I do think now that the government is involved in healthcare there is going to be a drastic shift in how obesity is perceived. I predict that within a decade people are going to have to pay extra for things for being obese, in the same way smokers are. For example, take life insurance. Want life insurance? You can get it, but if you smoke you pay extra. Soon it's going to be the same for obesity.

I know, right???!!??? I didn't really think about that, but you are soooo right! I also see sooooo many obese soldiers and police officers too...I often wonder about that--I remember a time when I NEVER saw an obese soldier, when soldiers were buff as I don't know what for the most part--also police officers. Something to think about for sure!
  • grbhmb
    grbhmb Posts: 12
    Options
    I think there is more going on with food when you survey pets and it is telling.
    I say this from experience with a cat I had that developed diabetes in the
    nineties. The vet at the time was only treating one other cat for this. When
    we would buy syringes at the pharmacy, they were floored it was for
    a cat!

Hardly anyone I knew or met knew of a cat with late onset diabetes
    then... and now they run pet food commercials about it today! Many people have diabetic
    pets now. Sure, some people over feed their animals but this cannot
    account for every case.

What's in the pet food - has it changed over the years, too? What's
    going on?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I think there is more going on with food when you survey pets and it is telling.
    I say this from experience with a cat I had that developed diabetes in the
    nineties. The vet at the time was only treating one other cat for this. When
    we would buy syringes at the pharmacy, they were floored it was for
    a cat!

Hardly anyone I knew or met knew of a cat with late onset diabetes
    then... and now they run pet food commercials about it today! Many people have diabetic
    pets now. Sure, some people over feed their animals but this cannot
    account for every case.

What's in the pet food - has it changed over the years, too? What's
    going on?

Well, it's either in the food or it is something else we are doing. I wonder a lot about vaccinations. When I was a kid, no one had the money to have their pets vaccinated and I NEVER heard of a pet having diabetes or even being obese. In speaking to our neighbors (both the husband and wife struggle with their weight and have since childhood) they said that their children are un-vaccinated (even though the husband and wife were vaccinated as children). All three of their kids are slender--and I suspect they eat pretty typically--even though I know that the mom is more health conscious than a lot of moms. I realize that all of this is anecdotal and that no one is apt to do a study of this any time soon but I remember reading a news item a couple of years ago about a hepatitis B vaccine that was given in New Zealand (I think). A startlingly high proportion of the teenagers who were given the vaccine came down with Type I diabetes.
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, the USA does have our weight issues...It speaks volumes that our First Lady, Michelle Obama, has made this her national cause! Our school systems have cancelled required physical. Education and most have cancelled former required Home Economic classes. Basically we are still going backwards on this issue. Our media does not help by comparing too thin airbrushed models with being the norm. The children are defeated before they start....It's not just poor people either. I live in a fairly well educated, financially successful area of the US and you see more overweight, obese people than normal weight much less thin people. In fact, I am in the overweight class and yet am considered thin by my neighbors and sometimes even my doctors. I am a home health RN and the vast majority of my patients are overweight and struggling with diseases that are caused by poor heart, bad joints, breathing problems. This problem is feeding into our overwhelming health care crisis and our ability to financially care for our older Americans. As a golden Buckeye card holder and a silver sneaker member (fancy way to say over 60 years),it bothers me that a lot of my patients have diseases that they should not have or not be this advanced for at least a decade.....it is why I started on this site. Time is not on my side if I don't stay on my path to weight loss and better health!!!!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    What I would like to know is if people are eating more calories and being sedentary because they are unwell and feeling sluggish? Or are they unwell because they are eating too much and exercising too little? And, if so, why is this just a recent phenomenon? And even our pets are obese? I wish they would make serious epidemiological studies on this.