What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I recently pointed out to an almost 60 year old overweight family member.... You really don't see any obese old people... I don't think it's because they all suddenly decided to lose weight. :(

Where do you live? I'm 51 and most of my relatives that are my age or older are overweight or obese. The ones that aren't mostly aren't because they are ill or were basically told to "lose weight or die".

Actually most of relatives that are any age are overweight. Even the children. :frown:
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think it's the saddest when it comes to the kids. I was always a fat kid - once I got older, that became my fault, but when I was a kid, it was entirely the fault of my parents. Neither one of them ever really cooked, so I typically ate fast food for 2 or 3 meals a day. When I was in second grade, I weighed 115 pounds. That's just insane.

As I got older, I struggled with depression and various other mental illnesses that made me not care about what I put into my mouth, so my weight continued to increase - even after it became MY doing.

Now, I'm working to lose all the weight that I put on throughout my childhood and adolescence. I wasted so many of those years being fat - I want a real life, not one that's severely limited. (Oh, and I want doctors to stop yelling at me about my weight. That's a huge factor in my weight loss. I don't want to have to be told I'm going to develop health problems - so, I'm losing the weight.)

tl;dr It's a choice for adults, not so much for kids. And it's really depressing.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It honestly surprises me even when I'm at the gym. At least half of the people there any given time are overweight. And about 80% are regulars. I've been going to the same gym for over a year and I've been seeing the same people everyday that are still overweight.

That's really DEEP! When I read your post, the first thing that came to my mind was one of my new "mantras" of sorts:

"You can't out exercise a poor diet." I've always wondered about that and your post seems to provoke my thoughts on this "mantra" of mine even more!

My husband and I have noticed this same thing at our gym! We joined 15 months ago. He has lost 50 pounds and has gone from 32% BF to 11%. I have lost 108 and gone from 49% BF to 32%. But in those 15 months, many of the people there don't look like they have changed much. There is one woman who has trimmed down a good bit, and one man who I can tell has gotten smaller... maybe 30 pounds smaller. But overall, I just don't see much change.

For me, the gym is the hardest part of getting healthier. Showing up there, and the mental push it takes to make me do it, is much harder than trying to watch what I eat. (Of course, I've already eaten two Reese's cups and a cookie today, so it isn't like I'm not cheating and cheating OFTEN) So when I see people showing up all the time and not making noticeable changes, I find it a bit baffling.

They are showing up and paying their dues, so I know they are putting some effort into it. It isn't laziness that is holding them back, whatever it is.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It honestly surprises me even when I'm at the gym. At least half of the people there any given time are overweight. And about 80% are regulars. I've been going to the same gym for over a year and I've been seeing the same people everyday that are still overweight.

That's really DEEP! When I read your post, the first thing that came to my mind was one of my new "mantras" of sorts:

"You can't out exercise a poor diet." I've always wondered about that and your post seems to provoke my thoughts on this "mantra" of mine even more!

My husband and I have noticed this same thing at our gym! We joined 15 months ago. He has lost 50 pounds and has gone from 32% BF to 11%. I have lost 108 and gone from 49% BF to 32%. But in those 15 months, many of the people there don't look like they have changed much. There is one woman who has trimmed down a good bit, and one man who I can tell has gotten smaller... maybe 30 pounds smaller. But overall, I just don't see much change.

For me, the gym is the hardest part of getting healthier. Showing up there, and the mental push it takes to make me do it, is much harder than trying to watch what I eat. (Of course, I've already eaten two Reese's cups and a cookie today, so it isn't like I'm not cheating and cheating OFTEN) So when I see people showing up all the time and not making noticeable changes, I find it a bit baffling.

They are showing up and paying their dues, so I know they are putting some effort into it. It isn't laziness that is holding them back, whatever it is.

When I go to the pool, I see the same people week after week and they don't change very much either. But then, I hear some of them talking in the ladies' change room, "Well--that was a good workout. Who's interested in going for doughnuts and coffee?" :laugh: One of them the other day noticed my fat loss, "Wow, you really have lost a lot of weight haven't you? Shows just what exercise can do!" I could tell that she was wondering why the same had not happened to her. I just smiled and said, "Well, I watch what I eat.--that's a large part of it." She quickly agreed with me but people don't seem to get that you have to attack obesity from a dietary AND exercise approach. At least they are getting out to the pool--that is good. But they need to stop eating crap too.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for the kids because they don't know any better and are being fed lies about food, and sometimes about themselves. Like they aren't meant to have a "trim" body, as you say. Or they have some problem they really don't (thyroid) or they say they are big boned, because that's what their parents always said. Or even worse, if they become part of that stupid fat acceptance movement where they think people SHOULD be that weight. I'm scared that people won't see through the crap and people will never change.

Wow...this is too DEEP, what you've said!
    To me, what you've said here is profoundly worrisome and grievous too.:cry::brokenheart: :cry: YET...on the same token, it makes me more determined than ever to get healthy and fit and to not be counted anymore among the number of the obese and overweight in our nation. To be part of the answer/solution, instead of continually being part of unhealthy, unattractive, nationwide obesity problem--by changing my entire way of eating, drinking, thinking and living (for the rest of my life)--taking it one day at a time and getting this blasted fat and flab off of my body and thinking/living differently too...ya know?!?:flowerforyou:
  • alycat1990
    alycat1990 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The way out society is driven doesn't tend to leave a lot of "you" time. Americans and Canadians a like (I'm Canadian) are so similar in terms of how our society is run. Work work work, groceries, kids, vehicle repairs, house work, expenses. Not only does our busy life style leave out exercise, but it also forces us to make poor food choices. "oh gee, I forgot to take the chicken out last night after work because I had a bazillion other things to do, guess its pizza for tn!!"

This is the worst part - our kids don't know the difference. Because we "feel" like we don't have the time to give ourselves proper nutrition - we are not teaching our children what proper nutrition is. That is the disgusting part. It will be so hard for them to change their lifestyle in later life once this happens.... once its already too late.

See, I know this for a fact - because this is what happened to me :) "Hey mom whats for supper tonight?" "Well I was thinking of ordering out KFC, because I didn't have time to do groceries after work, and I'm too tired now I just want to relax"

I'm not saying its totally my up-bringing - but it has a lot to do with it - especially when you don't have a choice.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I'm no supermom. Most of that 30lbs was just water weight and the baby etc so it's not like I'm so awesome. It's just that a lot of the weight drops off right away and I know I'm gonna have to work damn hard for the rest of it.

Your posts sure do come off that way, cocky and arrogant almost.. especially the last sentence about your thoughts on how long postpartum mothers should keep the weight on. You come off just as preachy as you claim the vegans to be.. and really, it's an image. What is it going to make you do? Go eat vegetables? Eat fried chicken? You insulted someone and their lifestyle efforts over an image. Get real.

I have had 2 children and despite eating healthily and exercising lots in my first pregnancy I still put on weight, and t did not just drop off after, i had to work damn hard for it. i didn't exercise much in my second pregnancy but I did eat healthily, apart from some chocolate, and I out on loads. I'd say it took me a bit over a year to lose it, and 22 months on I am smaller than before I got pregnant first time. I know some women who don't put on much and lose it straight away. All women are different.

As for the image, I don't see how neat can be blamed for obesity. Sure, if your meat comes from fast food places, but nothing wrong with a chicken breast cooked in the oven order fried. I don't know many vegans, but the one I know is very smug and preachy.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Wanna blow your mind? Go ahead and take a look at YouTube footage of any public event from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and the start of the 80's (concert, political event, sporting event, etc) and take particular notice to pay attention to any audience shots.

Do you notice anything strange? I sure do - where are the fat people.

Compare those images to the audiences/crowd at any random public event that you've been to recently. Quite a difference.

Case in point:

Elvis in Vegas - 1970 / Hell, even Elvis is skinny in this footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvoVMmcR3Wg

Rufus Thomas/Funky Chicken - Wattstax concert at LA Memorial Colliseum 1973 - Audience dancing footage is epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lCI63H1neY

Cal Jam rock concert 1975:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj9uH3iUp48

Woodstock - 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8b9HEIx5J8
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

I'm no supermom. Most of that 30lbs was just water weight and the baby etc so it's not like I'm so awesome. It's just that a lot of the weight drops off right away and I know I'm gonna have to work damn hard for the rest of it.

Your posts sure do come off that way, cocky and arrogant almost.. especially the last sentence about your thoughts on how long postpartum mothers should keep the weight on. You come off just as preachy as you claim the vegans to be.. and really, it's an image. What is it going to make you do? Go eat vegetables? Eat fried chicken? You insulted someone and their lifestyle efforts over an image. Get real.

I have had 2 children and despite eating healthily and exercising lots in my first pregnancy I still put on weight, and t did not just drop off after, i had to work damn hard for it. i didn't exercise much in my second pregnancy but I did eat healthily, apart from some chocolate, and I out on loads. I'd say it took me a bit over a year to lose it, and 22 months on I am smaller than before I got pregnant first time. I know some women who don't put on much and lose it straight away. All women are different.

As for the image, I don't see how neat can be blamed for obesity. Sure, if your meat comes from fast food places, but nothing wrong with a chicken breast cooked in the oven order fried. I don't know many vegans, but the one I know is very smug and preachy.

I agree and my original statement expresses similar sentiments!

To me, it goes beyond meat. I see a meat choice (or choice in general) which to me, looks like a fried or breaded drumstick. IMO, not the best of choices, particularly if it's the fried variety. I agree there is nothing wrong with a baked drumstick, personally I prefer something more lean. *shrug* Generalizations suck.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Wanna blow your mind? Go ahead and take a look at YouTube footage of any public event from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and the start of the 80's (concert, political event, sporting event, etc) and take particular notice to pay attention to any audience shots.

Compare those images to the audiences/crowd at any random public event that you've been to recently. Quite a difference.

Case in point:

Rufus Thomas/Funky Chicken - Wattstax concert at LA Memorial Colliseum 1973 - Audience dancing footage is epic.

Woodstock - 1969:

VERY true. What changed?
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    Somebody said it best - we subsidize wheat and corn, not zucchini and lima beans. Plus the gigantor portions of fast food serving size.

Case in point:

Woodstock - 1969:

VERY true. What changed?
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    I know, I always thought Janis Joplin was fat! Isn't that crazy. She had a puffy face, but was not overweight at all.
  • mikegales
    mikegales Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just checked my BMI, old formula and new formula both below 30. I am not classified as obese! Merely overweight. I am psyched to tell people, " Hey! I'm overweight!"
  • Baby_sway86
    Baby_sway86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey, it seems to be a western world problem. Iv noticed on fb people think being healthy and slim = unhappy and that buzz word I hate 'not real'. One thing I noticed about Australia is everyone blames everyone else, including teachers so what they have done is made rules on school on what you can and can't eat, if parents send their kids to school with bad food they have to come in for a meeting. If you buy food at school there is only healthy options. I'm not sure if it works or not - could do the reverse, make kids pig out when they get home if their parents allow junk food to be kept in the house.
    With fast food being cheaper and easier to get the issue is trying to prove to people the value in being healthy till it's to late.
  • matthewjp7
    Options
    i think the coporate fat cats have us where they want us. We have to decide to take care of ourselves.
  • aviator111
    Options
    I'm on holiday in the US in August.

Not wanting to look quite as large as many natives in the queues was one of the incentives to lose a lot of weight. As it is my lad can run rings around 95% of his US-born peers, who look goggle-eyed at how quick he is.

I haven't seen any evidence to date that the efforts to persuade folk to adopt a healthy lifestyle is having any impact.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

you can't outrun your fork!!!

so true! i have worked out HARD for the past 10 months, and only lost 15lbs over all that time since i ate like crap. In the last 6 weeks, i've lost an additional 10lbs by eating clean 6.5 days of the week and allowing myself one cheat meal to keep me sane and honest. It's working!!

Deep...I'm also going to add you're " you can't outrun your folk to my bio-computer too! I don't really like to label what I'm doing a "clean" eating either for some reason. I like to call it "smart, yummy and life sustaining eating "and drinking, rather than "clean-eating". Ya know, eating to live, rather than living to eat type of terminology--it inspires me calling it this more than "clean eating" for/to me.

exactly. i don't tell people i'm dieting, and I try not to say i'm "eating clean" beause i don't want the scrutiny if i have something that isn't "clean."

I prefer just to tell people i'm eating towards my fitness goals.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options

you can't outrun your fork!!!

so true! i have worked out HARD for the past 10 months, and only lost 15lbs over all that time since i ate like crap. In the last 6 weeks, i've lost an additional 10lbs by eating clean 6.5 days of the week and allowing myself one cheat meal to keep me sane and honest. It's working!!

Deep...I'm also going to add you're " you can't outrun your folk to my bio-computer too! I don't really like to label what I'm doing a "clean" eating either for some reason. I like to call it "smart, yummy and life sustaining eating "and drinking, rather than "clean-eating". Ya know, eating to live, rather than living to eat type of terminology--it inspires me calling it this more than "clean eating" for/to me.

exactly. i don't tell people i'm dieting, and I try not to say i'm "eating clean" beause i don't want the scrutiny if i have something that isn't "clean."

I prefer just to tell people i'm eating towards my fitness goals.

I agree with you!! And too many people get confused by those terms as it is. "Clean" Every time some one says I want to punch you in right in the throat. Clean could mean anything, Paleo people think bread is "dirty" Some Religions think pigs are "dirty". No one can properly define it because so many misuse it or have their own definition for it.

Eat towards your fitness goal! Good post.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i think stress plays a big part. people are just more worried, stressed, busy, crunched. obesity and poor eating habits are just symptoms of a deeper lying problem.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I live in San Antonio Texas..............home town to some of the best Tex Mex and Mexican food, as well as BBQ.............need I say more

I see kids 8 years old that look 15 weighing 120 lbs........I see mothers buying in bulk, the cheap white bread, those Roman noodles and chinese noodles, and ice cream like its going out of style....

their kids are on their cell or smart phones, then get home and get on the pc to go to Facebook.

NO PHYSICAL EXERCISE WHAT SO EVER...........the kids dont go out and play till dark like I did, and they exercise very little............

Its a situation of what is going to be the future..........these folks are going to be diabtetic soon. San Antonio is the 2nd city for the most limb removals in the US, following Corpus Christi Texas

People in my city have 2 x the countrys diabetes rates.............its mind boggeling................