What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S.?

Options

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I think it's sad and partly due to our addiction to technology. A few minutes ago I looked at a relative's photos, on facebook, of her grandson's 5th birthday party. The boy is obese. His gifts were all electronic.. no balls or other toys that would involve any type of exercise, let alone moving. There are pics of him hitting a piñata, then gorging himself on candy, cake, cupcakes, ice cream, etc. Yeah, I agree kids should be able to eat junk on their birthday, but it just made me sad. He is so young.. I made sure that my kids got outside and played and I'm working on my grandkids now. Yesterday I took the 2 year old outside for hours, just so he'd get some exercise and to have fun doing it. He had a blast and so did I, although my thighs and butt are sore from riding a big wheel. :)
    I'll also be the first to admit that I got fat because I was addicted to the internet. I played games in pogo, didn't exercise and made very poor food choices. If I wouldn't have stopped, I'd probably weigh 200lbs!!!
    Now get off your computers, off your butts and go move! I am!
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I live in San Antonio Texas..............home town to some of the best Tex Mex and Mexican food, as well as BBQ.............need I say more

I see kids 8 years old that look 15 weighing 120 lbs........I see mothers buying in bulk, the cheap white bread, those Roman noodles and chinese noodles, and ice cream like its going out of style....

their kids are on their cell or smart phones, then get home and get on the pc to go to Facebook.

NO PHYSICAL EXERCISE WHAT SO EVER...........the kids dont go out and play till dark like I did, and they exercise very little............

Its a situation of what is going to be the future..........these folks are going to be diabtetic soon. San Antonio is the 2nd city for the most limb removals in the US, following Corpus Christi Texas

People in my city have 2 x the countrys diabetes rates.............its mind boggeling................

*Ramen Noodles*
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think it's a really bad problem, that a lot of people don't worry about, until it's to late.. The children I think are the most affected. We live in a fast pace world now. Fast food is one the easiest, quick and some what cheapest ways to go, if you are always on the go....I mean look you can get hamb, fries, sweet tea at Mc Donald's for 3 bucks, cheap, fast, and easy!!!!!! SO SAD.....
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I love Wall-E! Disney really got the message across with that flick.

My observation is that affluent neighborhoods/cities are in better shape. It sucks, but its true. Look at honey boo boo and her mom. There's a lot of that in my area except they're latino.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It is unfortunately a product of our society and parents need to own up to the responsibility of teaching their children how to live a healthy lifestyle and healthy eating habits. I have heard the argument that it is to expensive to eat right and I don't buy it. I can go to the grocery store and buy a bag of chicken breasts, enough veggies to steam for a side and maybe some brown rice or another side for a heck of a lot cheaper than it costs us to eat at Mc.Dons, Burger King, or Subway! It comes to the convienance factor and how much work individuals want to put into their diet.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I love Wall-E! Disney really got the message across with that flick.

My observation is that affluent neighborhoods/cities are in better shape. It sucks, but its true. Look at honey boo boo and her mom. There's a lot of that in my area except they're latino.

That is true in most cases for sure and certainly was true in the past--but this is DIFFERENT, totally...the only thing is (and it's a huge thing) all the MASSES of obese, morbidly obese and overweight folks I saw the other day was in an extremely affluent and super high income tax bracket area. These people (men, women, children and even babies) the greater majority of the are white-collar workers, professionals, home owners, this is a very low crime area, where the upper middle class are on the lower end of the income spectrum. So, what I witness and continue to witness daily is not a minority/culture issue...it's an area where people are living the American Dream life and are as obese and morbidly obese as can be--that's one reason why it scared me so much. Again, these are definitely NOT the poor or even lower middle class and underprivileged at all...not even close to that socio-economic class/culture/area. The trend of the overweight, obese and morbidly obese is no longer a "poor lower class minority issue anymore...it's EVERYBODY, that's what I see and why I started this thread.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

What do you think of the obesity epidemic in the U.S. ?

I think it's hard to NOT be obese in this country. There is so much fast food, junk food, soda, etc. None of it is healthy but we buy it because it's cheap and it tastes good. Especially when money is tight, like it is now. I'm as guilty of this as anyone.

The food industry makes tons of money off our hunger, and the medical industry makes tons of money when we get sick. It's a win-win situation for them. So they keep shoving this cheap crap down our throats, knowing we will buy it. Until something major changes in this country, the obesity epidemic will continue.

Pretty much. No one gives a darn about you or your family. The country is run by corporations and the corporations only goal is to make money. There are millions of companies that benefit from obesity - why would they want to fix it? Thousands of scientists are hired by food conglomerates to specifically formulate food that will be addictive, food that will tickle the 'bliss point' (that exact amount of sweetness that will drive people to buy the product) they create pseudo-foods that melt in your mouth that trick your brain into thinking the calories have also disappeared..

There's a few books written about this.. one of the more resent ones is called "Salt, fat, Sugar" by Michael Moss. No one is going to change it. When the government heavily subsidies corn it shouldn't surprise people that this is what will become the main ingredient in everything 'cheap' from HFCS to Cheetos.. all corn. It's cheap, it's easy to get and it's specially formulated to appeal to your cravings..and the drug companies are overjoyed to be able to supply you with all your medical needs when you can no longer function (at a cost of course)..The perfect system.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I think it's sad and partly due to our addiction to technology. A few minutes ago I looked at a relative's photos, on facebook, of her grandson's 5th birthday party. The boy is obese. His gifts were all electronic.. no balls or other toys that would involve any type of exercise, let alone moving. There are pics of him hitting a piñata, then gorging himself on candy, cake, cupcakes, ice cream, etc. Yeah, I agree kids should be able to eat junk on their birthday, but it just made me sad. He is so young.. I made sure that my kids got outside and played and I'm working on my grandkids now. Yesterday I took the 2 year old outside for hours, just so he'd get some exercise and to have fun doing it. He had a blast and so did I, although my thighs and butt are sore from riding a big wheel. :)
    I'll also be the first to admit that I got fat because I was addicted to the internet. I played games in pogo, didn't exercise and made very poor food choices. If I wouldn't have stopped, I'd probably weigh 200lbs!!!
    Now get off your computers, off your butts and go move! I am!

Wow! This is deep...and one of my main contributing factors to getting FAT and flabby. Also, another reason I "let myself go" and got fat was I started having lots of children late in life...which maybe one of the reasons I'm the ONLY overweight/obese person in my entire family.:cry::blushing: :sad: :cry: I do so appreciate your post! Also, your post reminds me of this:

624a9c34.jpg
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options

I think it's hard to NOT be obese in this country. There is so much fast food, junk food, soda, etc. None of it is healthy but we buy it because it's cheap and it tastes good. Especially when money is tight, like it is now. I'm as guilty of this as anyone.

The food industry makes tons of money off our hunger, and the medical industry makes tons of money when we get sick. It's a win-win situation for them. So they keep shoving this cheap crap down our throats, knowing we will buy it. Until something major changes in this country, the obesity epidemic will continue.

Pretty much. No one gives a darn about you or your family. The country is run by corporations and the corporations only goal is to make money. There are millions of companies that benefit from obesity - why would they want to fix it? Thousands of scientists are hired by food conglomerates to specifically formulate food that will be addictive, food that will tickle the 'bliss point' (that exact amount of sweetness that will drive people to buy the product) they create pseudo-foods that melt in your mouth that trick your brain into thinking the calories have also disappeared..

There's a few books written about this.. one of the more resent ones is called "Salt, fat, Sugar" by Michael Moss. No one is going to change it. When the government heavily subsidies corn it shouldn't surprise people that this is what will become the main ingredient in everything 'cheap' from HFCS to Cheetos.. all corn. It's cheap, it's easy to get and it's specially formulated to appeal to your cravings..and the drug companies are overjoyed to be able to supply you with all your medical needs when you can no longer function (at a cost of course)..The perfect system.

^^^^THIS^^^^. :explode:
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I think that it is easy to gain weight in our society. I think access is part of it. I think attitude is part of it. I was reading a healthy living blog and the writer addressed this issue and many of the comments were very negative and offered no solution. This kind of attitude is not helpful.

It's not just a low income issue because so many are having this problem in all income brackets. HOWEVER... it does present a challenge. When I started looking at gyms in my area they were all too expensive for me. $35 and up a month = too expensive for my budget. I thought about trying to squeeze it in - I mean it's important right? But then you have to pay even more money just to join - close to $100. I did have workout DVDs that I did but I just wasn't motivated to do them. The most exercise I got was always in summer when I could go swimming in lakes and walk outside for free. Finally last fall my financial situation improved and I found a gym that is only $20 - this worked well because I could still spend money out of pocket at indoor pools this winter and STILL pay less than the other gyms I looked into.

I think there needs to be more education and more affordable choices. Spend more time looking for solutions instead of focusing on the problem and placing blame. I'm talking government or healthcare sponsored cooking classes that include things like grocery shopping. Vouchers for gyms or classes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ITT: Conspiracy theories and excuses from overweight and formerly overweight people
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

^^^^THIS^^^^. :explode:

Deep! Reading food labels is essential in this day and time, and for those of us determined to not eat what-so-ever we want to, but to purposely make wise/smart choices in our daily eating and drinking so as not to be card carrying members of the overweight, obese and morbidly obese club--at least, that's what I'm doing and will do for the rest of my life.

Example...yesterday I went to the store to get some cranberry sauce for dinner last night. I ALWAYS get Ocean Spray when we have cranberry sauce (which is not all that often), anyhoo...I also grab a Gefen kosher brand, which was 10 cent more...the Gefen did not has HFCS in it, the Ocean Spray did...I choose the Gefen Brand, even though it cost a bit more. Many people wag their heads at so-called "conspiracy theorist say about our foods and such. I've always been taught, better safe than sorry, so rather than ignore those conspiracy theorists that scream and shout (in vain for the most part, being treated as kooks, extremists and to be discounted and/or ignored) I'm choosing to put more of my trust in the so-called "conspiracy theorists than the lobbyists, government, corporations and even my own taste buds :wink: and to be careful/wise about what I eat and drink from now on, choosing to go for what I personally believe is better for me and my family to eat and drink, rather than what taste's better and cost less. ReTRAINING my "thinker" to do this is not as hard as I've always deceived myself into believing it would be too. Am I making up "excuses and using so-called conspiracy theories" to change my entire view on what's good to eat and drink from now on? Ummmmm...YEP:wink:
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    ITT: Conspiracy theories and excuses from overweight and formerly overweight people

no they put things in my grains to make me over eat. Being fat is not my fault.
  • Hawaiian_Shirt_Day
    Options
    Here's a sobering documentary on the childhood obesity epidemic in other countries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsGtoZw2Hw
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest I was overweight and a few pounds from obese but compared to everyone else around me i was the skinny one so they said I was skinny.

20 pounds later I am in the healthy range but still see fat to lose. people say "oh you don't need to workout".

Jealousy I guess.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

:wink:

0001_zpsfb364beb.jpg
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think we have to stop looking at weight as THE problem. It is A problem. Being overweight has a lot of negative baggage that goes with it and it will eventually impact a person's health.

But, what is worse is how unhealthy most food is in a typical supermarket. I have been on a lot of different diet plans that control different levels of the macro nutrients. But, the thing they all have in common is that you mostly shop the perimeters of the store. That you get most of your groceries from the produce aisle. I am starting to think that people who are 20 lbs overweight are lucky if they see that and are concerned. It is enough weight to be a problem, but not so much weight to severely impact their health. So, they can make healthy changes and take some time to assess their lifestyle. They can end up being much healthier than a person who eats crap all the time, but has not developed a weight problem, yet. I wish that had been my story.

I think we need to concentrate on healthier eating and exercise and stop obsessing about how many people are overweight or obese. I don't think it's helpful at all. Most people in this country are not healthy. Most people don't get enough sleep, eat processed foods, don't get enough exercise, watch to much tv, and most of them are not obese. Many are slightly overweight and will worry about that, but the worry is over their weight and not all the unhealthy lifestyle choices they are making and that is the problem in a nutshell.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

I absolutely did not say that. It IS my fault I couldn't close my mouth and quit eating. I have dealt with MY issue. I do not eat 'fast food' and never have. I cook at home and always have. My problem was not eating 'processed convenience food' it was simply portion control.

90% of the stuff people eat that comes in a bag, box or wrapper has some kind of chemical in it . - this is not a 'conspiracy theory' it's fact. Normally those chemicals are used to improve the flavor so that people will eat more of it. It is also a fact that the driving force of a corporation is to make money - if they didn't make money they wouldn't be around very long. It is also a fact that fatter people have more health issues and require medicine or other aides to get around (wheelchairs etc) It is also a fact that these things cost money and with more fat people spending more money on things that they need because they are fat the companies are seeing huge profits - FACT: a company will NOT act in any way to reduce it's profits deliberately.

People STILL have the control, no one forces them to eat it. That was not my point at all. My point is that if a company can figure out a way to make their product virtually irresistible to someone by tweaking the ingredients, which then increases the sales of that product they WILL do it. If they can create 'food' out of the cheapest ingredients that are heavily subsidized (ie. corn and wheat) they can sell more of it for less and because people have no idea what they are eating or don't care, or think they can't afford better or never learned to cook or whatever million other reasons people have for eating junk that's better for the corporations. If people do not educate themselves and pursue a better way why would the corporations change anything..they are making millions.

The control is still with people, but my faith in humanity is on very shaky ground these days.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

I absolutely did not say that. It IS my fault I couldn't close my mouth and quit eating. I have dealt with MY issue. I do not eat 'fast food' and never have. I cook at home and always have. My problem was not eating 'processed convenience food' it was simply portion control.

90% of the stuff people eat that comes in a bag, box or wrapper has some kind of chemical in it . - this is not a 'conspiracy theory' it's fact. Normally those chemicals are used to improve the flavor so that people will eat more of it. It is also a fact that the driving force of a corporation is to make money - if they didn't make money they wouldn't be around very long. It is also a fact that fatter people have more health issues and require medicine or other aides to get around (wheelchairs etc) It is also a fact that these things cost money and with more fat people spending more money on things that they need because they are fat the companies are seeing huge profits - FACT: a company will NOT act in any way to reduce it's profits deliberately.

People STILL have the control, no one forces them to eat it. That was not my point at all. My point is that if a company can figure out a way to make their product virtually irresistible to someone by tweaking the ingredients, which then increases the sales of that product they WILL do it. If they can create 'food' out of the cheapest ingredients that are heavily subsidized (ie. corn and wheat) they can sell more of it for less and because people have no idea what they are eating or don't care, or think they can't afford better or never learned to cook or whatever million other reasons people have for eating junk that's better for the corporations. If people do not educate themselves and pursue a better way why would the corporations change anything..they are making millions.

The control is still with people, but my faith in humanity is on very shaky ground these days.

{{{{{ Koldriana }}}}}} Of course you didn't say that (or even insinuate that you weren't personally responsible) and anyone worth their weight in salt would clearly see that. Thank you for taking the time to post. You Rock. We just have to accept that old saying:

He who is convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still.

People are going to believe what they want to and trying to convince them otherwise, is to me, rather fruitless. I LOVE what you wrote here!