Confused about NET calories

Options
If my net calories are higher than my exercise calories is that bad ? Should my net cals be lower than my exercise cals??? To lose weight

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Not at all--it would be unhealthy and nearly impossible for you to burn so many calories that they were higher than your NET
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Net calories should equal your calorie goal. So if you burn 200 in exercise, eat back that 200 to get you to 1600.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Your body requires energy to meet four obligations.
    -Resting Metabolic Rate - energy needed to maintain essential physiological functions while at rest and awake.
    -Thermic Effect of Food - energy needed to absorb food.
    -Thermic Effect of Activity - energy needed for exercise.
    -Non-Exercise Activity - energy needed for mundane daily tasks.

These four components make up your Total Daily Energy Expenditure and are part of the energy balance equation.

To lose fat, one only needs to eat less energy, in the form of calories, than your TDEE. My TDEE is 2900 to maintain weight. I am eating 2500 to lose at the rate of 0.5 lbs per week. The less fat mass you have, and/or less amount you wish to lose, the smaller the deficit you should choose.

Net calories, as viewed at MFP, is the total calories you eat minus exercise calories. Thus, it's basically three of the four components, minus exercise expenditure. This is why many people suggest, at minimum, netting at least your RMR amount in calories.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Your body requires energy to meet four obligations.
    -Resting Metabolic Rate - energy needed to maintain essential physiological functions while at rest and awake.
    -Thermic Effect of Food - energy needed to absorb food.
    -Thermic Effect of Activity - energy needed for exercise.
    -Non-Exercise Activity - energy needed for mundane daily tasks.

These four components make up your Total Daily Energy Expenditure and are part of the energy balance equation.

To lose fat, one only needs to eat less energy, in the form of calories, than your TDEE. My TDEE is 2900 to maintain weight. I am eating 2500 to lose at the rate of 0.5 lbs per week. The less fat mass you have, and/or less amount you wish to lose, the smaller the deficit you should choose.

Net calories, as viewed at MFP, is the total calories you eat minus exercise calories. Thus, it's basically three of the four components, minus exercise expenditure. This is why many people suggest, at minimum, eating at least your RMR amount in calories.

science:flowerforyou:
  • levie27
    levie27 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So ya ? I should be eating back net cals ? I been doing this wrong all along and was wonder why I stopped loseing weight and felt so fatigue