Cutting out bread?

Options
Hi everyone

I've been trying to lose weight with mfp for about 3 months and it's not working - I'm really struggling. I lose a couple of pounds then put them straight back on.

I do lots of exercise and often burn around 800 a day as I'm a runner. Trouble is I think my body is so used to the exercise from years of it that maybe it doesn't respond the same?

I really need to do something to loss the extra stone I'm carrying and have looked at my diet and realised I could possibly kick my body into gear by cutting bread, no other carbs, but bread, bagels etc are my downfall. What do u think?

Deborah

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    yes...your body adapts..and it adapts quickly..if all you are doing is running, try cutting that down and lift some heavy weights.

also look at your overall food intake. its not so much carbs, fats etc..its calories...if i were you i'd see what you intake now as far as carbs go. if you are intaking over 250, then try to cut back by 100. also what are your eating habits like now? do you eat healthy? do you eat plenty of veg and whole grains? try changing the way you eat too.
  • derynb
    derynb Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out bread completely, just limit yourself to 2 slices of a wholegrain bread a day, whole grains are a low GI food choice so you don't get the sugar spike as you would with white bread, also look at what processed foods you are having and replace them with as much natural stuff as possible...in other words...go back to the basics.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    As i was realllly overweight last year and im only 19, i visited the doctors to try and get help to loose weight as i didnt have the will power to do it myself.

The doctors told me the first thing to do when loosing weight is cut out on bread and pasta.

So first things first, my last sandwich was 31st december 2010. And i have not touched bread since! I admitt it was very hard at first as i would eat a sandwich every day for lunch and even for breakfast! (toast).. But 7months down the line of cutting out on bread i am now 33lbs lighter and to be honest i couldnt be happyier!! :bigsmile:

Its totallly worth it, honestly. If your really determined to loose weight then i suggest you cut out on bread full stop! I still eat pasta but in very small amounts and i eat it once in a blue moon! :smile:

Give it ago, it will get easier honestly.. It doesnt bother me not eating bread anymore! I can go out with friends and as there scoffing a sandwich i stick to a pot of salad or a wrap or something :) and it doesnt bother me anymore..

Hope this has helped! :happy:
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Vary your exercise routine.

I used to run three times a week and never lost a pound.

Now I run once, then maybe again at the gym combined with other cardio stuff, then one day I will swim and two days I do body pump or weights. It's the only thing that's worked for me.

I still eat bread but not every day & try to avoid carbs for dinner.
  • debtheteafan
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I do vary my routine quite a bit, I cycle and do spin a few times a week plus do weights, sometimes a different class like Zumba or body combat so I don't think the exercise is the problem.

I just feel so bloated and uncomfortable all the time, always have that 'fat' feeling. I know I eat too much sugar and need to sort that too but going to give the bread thing a go. I used to only eat dark wholegrain rye bread so going to try that again.

I really need to get this shifted as I don't feel physically good at all right now.

Thanks again
    Deborah
  • karryann5
    Options
    Hi Deborah-
    I had that same problem and then someone mentioned i could be Gluten intolerant- So i looked up sypmtons and i had them all- just didnt know it- So figured I would give up Gluten for a couple of weeks and see if I notice a diff. and after about 5 days i did.
    The bloating was gone- i had more energy for sure. It was a lil hard trying to figure out what to eat-plan meals for family too-
    But after the 1st week i got it down-(Whole Foods helped tremendously)
    I then decided to give up breads to see if that would kick start maybe losing 5-8 lbs- after 5 days of no breads i lost 2lbs a lil disappointed, but im hearing that is normal-I too love sweets- But cutting out the Gluten helped with Bloating which was huge- and has made me more cautious about what i eat- reading all the lables- now it doesnt bother me to watch the family eat in/out burgers -i have mine wrapped in lettace or just eat the meat only-
    Good Luck- worth a try.
    karryann:smile:
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you do find that you have a hard time cutting out bread, try baking your own bread but with almond flour or coconut flour instead (or another flour high in fibers). It's low in carbs and high in nutrients and fibers. I find that I wouldn't be able to do this if I had to cut out everything that I love--so I modify them instead to fit my new lifestyle. Hope this works for you. (:

ETA: They also sell these breads in whole food stores; they're usually in the freezer or you need to ask the baker. +1 for gluten free bread!
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Switch to a gluten free bread...WAYYYY better for you! I switched and I feel way better :)
  • Yica83
    Yica83 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Unless you are buying fresh baked bread, all other breads come loaded with sugar and preservatives, thats how they manage to give you over a week before the breads expires. These extra ingredients can cause bloating and make it difficult if you are trying to lose weigh.

I love bread and excluding it from my diet was not an option; i found a bakery where i buy fresh baked bread, I only buy whole grain and reduced my intake to 1/3 of what i used to have... this seems to do the trick for me.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937860-how-to-lose-fat-for-newbs

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741&page=1

No sense in cutting out bread. Enjoy your food. Eat at a deficit. Be thin, happy, and healthy.

Those links are how I lost weight and they work. There is nothing magical about them.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yea, didn't see anything about your calorie intake.

Also I would find it surprising if you were burning 800 a day unless you were getting around 2 hours in at a medium intensity.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I've been trying to lose weight with mfp for about 3 months and it's not working - I'm really struggling. I lose a couple of pounds then put them straight back on.

I do lots of exercise and often burn around 800 a day as I'm a runner. Trouble is I think my body is so used to the exercise from years of it that maybe it doesn't respond the same?

I really need to do something to loss the extra stone I'm carrying and have looked at my diet and realised I could possibly kick my body into gear by cutting bread, no other carbs, but bread, bagels etc are my downfall. What do u think?

Deborah

If you want to cut bread from your diet and need help weening yourself from it, and want something healthier, you can try almond flour and carbquik.
  • ProudArmyMomma
    Options
    I have been struggling to lose weight & this past year it has gotten harder. This is the heaviest I have been. I am 42 years old, 5'5" & 184lbs. This time last year I was 160lbs. I love MFP because it makes me aware of what is actually going in my mouth. I need to make better food choices.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Haven't had bread in a year. I have no idea if that is why I lose weight or not, but it works for me.

Reduce your cardio and lift heavy weights. That will work better than all that cardio. IMHO.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? If you are really burning 800 calories, you should be eating most of those back. You should net at least 1200, and probably higher.