Early Morning Exercise=Hungry all day?

Options
I find that when I work out early in the morning I am hungry almost all day. Usually my protein shake can keep me feeling full until at least 11:30....but on mornings when I workout very early....like 7 am and then have my protein shake afterward I'm hungry again about an hour later and I feel hungry almost all day. Does this happen to anybody else? I like getting my workout out of the way first thing in the morning so I know it's done and I don't have to squeeze it in later on if I get busy. Any suggestions for a healthy post workout meal besides protein shakes that will keep me feeling full longer?

Replies

• oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's the same for me when i workout in the mornings as well! I usually eat a fiber one bar or a weightloss shake that curbs my appetite
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You need to up your calories. It's not about healthy or protein, you simply need to eat more.

I work out for 3 hours in the morning on an empty stomach, and then I stuff my face the rest of the day. You owe it to your body to re-fuel.

Your protein shake simply does not provide sufficient calories.... without even knowing what's in it. You can't trick your body or put off hunger til later. Address it and eat!

I would add some nut butter to your shakes or bananas.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'll get on my Wii Fit Plus before breakfast and do that for about 30 minutes or so, but I'm not hungry all day. I eat a good breakfast, and then I eat a snack a few hours later, and then lunch, and so forth. Frequent small meals are good so you're constantly fueling your body.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My favorite mid morning snack is nuts and fruit, especially pistachios and bananas.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm the opposite, the more I work out (cardio, & sometimes strength training), the earlier the better, the less appetite I have. But according to this article it depends on the exercising & timing of the meals...
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/382618-does-exercise-decrease-appetite/
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am usually very hungry after an intense workout, especially swimming. I try to eat something like tuna, beans, chicken, egg whites, and maybe some other fiber like canteloupe, watermelon, etc after my workouts. For some reason the elliptical and swimming make me very hungry afterwards.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I think you need a lot more calories after a big workout.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I find if I do not eat enough by 10am I am hungry all day. Can you concentrate more calorie intake in the morning? I intake 80% of my daily calories before 1pm.

Works well for me.
  • aas1277
    aas1277 Posts: 67
    Options
    You need to up your calories. It's not about healthy or protein, you simply need to eat more.

I work out for 3 hours in the morning on an empty stomach, and then I stuff my face the rest of the day. You owe it to your body to re-fuel.

Your protein shake simply does not provide sufficient calories.... without even knowing what's in it. You can't trick your body or put off hunger til later. Address it and eat!

I would add some nut butter to your shakes or bananas.
    I add 1/2 a banana, a cup of fresh baby spinach and sometimes a tablespoon of organic powdered peanut butter but still hungry! Soi should go straight to the egg white omelet ?
  • aas1277
    aas1277 Posts: 67
    Options
    I find if I do not eat enough by 10am I am hungry all day. Can you concentrate more calorie intake in the morning? I intake 80% of my daily calories before 1pm.

Works well for me.
    Good idea
  • t7mitch
    t7mitch Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm the opposite, the more I work out (cardio, & sometimes strength training), the earlier the better, the less appetite I have. But according to this article it depends on the exercising & timing of the meals...
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/382618-does-exercise-decrease-appetite/

I'm the same way. The earlier I work out and the harder I work out, the less appetite I have. I actually have to force myself to eat. I eat like an omelet before I go work out