Grandfather on a Mission

Options
:wink: Hi friends ...... My first post and I am new to the message board .... I have one goal in mind ...... loose weight .....

My sweet wife thinks I am a lumber jack and should eat three square meals a day ...... at 82 years this Saturday, I need to get control of what I eat and loose weight before my trip in September to Scotland. Hopefully I will have lost 30 pounds by then, which is my target weight.

I started my challenge on 6/13 and am doing well ... so far, 9 pounds ..... love "my fitness pal" first time ever to accurately keep track of my intake calories. I know calories is the best way to control weight. So far so good ..... I set a balanced 1000 calories a day with an occasional a treat.

Today was my treat day (piece of butter icing cake), had only one piece ... celebrated my 98 year old mother-in-laws birthday ...... still was able to stay under my callorie goal .... best wishes for all in the same boat as me ........ Roy

Replies

• gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Hi Roy, you are off to a great start!
    Best Wishes
    Gail
    p.s Scotland is a fantastic choice!!
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Great start...enjoy my homeland when you get there!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and nice to meet you, Roy!
    Best of luck with meeting your goals! :-)

PS: it's awesome to see a member of the Greatest Generation on the internet!!!
    I think I'd die from shock if I ever saw my 87 yr old grandmother touch a computer...
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi Roy:

Welcome you have come to the right place for support. Good for you for knowing you need to track your calories. It is never too late to learn a new way of doing things. I am a grandmother to 3 and we both know how much our grandkids need us. Hopefully you will post a few pix of Scotland when you return.:flowerforyou:
  • rero
    rero Posts: 24
    Options
    welcome grandpa (i refer to all elderly folks this way, cultural thing),

i really hope you get to your goal. it always warms my heart to see an older person be active about their health and you seem to be doing well so far so i wish you continued success.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROY! And Welcome! You absolutely have come to the right place for support, guidance and cheerleaders! This site will give you the tools you need to succeed!

IF YOU BELIEVE, YOU CAN ACHIEVE!! Good Luck, and keep up the GREAT work!
    Donna
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hi! You are off to a good start but I am a bit concerned about you consuming only 1000 calories a day. Everything I have read says not to go below 1200. Do a little research and stay healthy! You will soon look fit and slim in your Scottish Kilt! Wishing you all the best! :happy:
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hiya Roy. If your photo is reasonably current I'd have never guessed 81! You'll be a young whipper-snapper in no time!

Good to see you here.
  • 2daughtermom
    Options
    Mr. Roy, Hope you don't mind me calling you that...it's the way I was raised. Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you...You certainly don't look like you are in your 80's. Looks like you have already been taking care of yourself. Anyway, welcome to MFP, best place in the world for support and encouragement. Have a wonderful time in Scotland.