DO NOT LIFT IF YOUR OVERWEIGHT EVER!!!!

Options
No just kidding :). Just wanted to entice all you "lifters" to read this to help me :). I know nothing grabs the attention like someone saying not to lift.

So here goes, I understand the concept. Eat protein, lift, loss fat & not muscle mass got it. I've seen countless threads where the poster is the same weight or even higher but looks better. Okay. What I havent seen is someone who heavy lifts who has like 100lbs to lose. I am going to lift. Now. But I would some hope that in the next 6 months I will lose weight still. "The number on the scale isnt that important you should focus on body composition". Ya got it, but I am pretty sure I will never be happy woth an body composition I could have at my current weight ever! I hope this makes sense :). I am just looking for hope this lifting will help me now & not stall me at the same weight for months. Ok... Go! Comments photos etc!!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight if you lift while maintaining a caloric deficit.

You may have some fluid retention initially, when you start lifting.
  • mmeyerhoff87
    mmeyerhoff87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My personal experience with lifting and weight loss have been very good. I have lost 82 pounds over the past year and I lifted the whole time. I mix lifting and cardio which seems to work best for me. The muscle seems definetly helps me burn more calories and look better. Hope this helps.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Clever job at getting your audience!!
  • JamieRebecca23
    Options
    brilliant... i don't lift yet so obviously i can't contribute. you are definitely clever! ha!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Lift 3x wk full body and eat for fuel. Progress will follow!

Edit: check my before after photos on my profile.. Same weight smaller size! Weights and fuel!
  • time4changexx
    time4changexx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks people :)

Ya I get the same weight better looking concept, but I am pretty sure it will only take me so far with so much left to lose, I mean maybe if I were close to goal that would work but still being obese I know its just not gunna happen. Its awesome though seeing same weight different bodies! So I hope noone takes it as an insult, it will just only take me so far without actually losing weight.
  • BadAzzBea
    BadAzzBea Posts: 461
    Options
    lift lift lift lift
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    I just want to say don't be alarmed if you see a weight gain at first. Your body is going to need time to adjust to the sudden changes and even on a deficit may gain weight. It probably is muscle, but either way you're probably not going to gain too much muscle on a deficit trying to lose weight. But lifting heavy is definitely an awesome choice!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So what are you looking for? Lifting results for people (women?) who have lost 100lbs, while lifting, and are now at a healthy body fat level?
  • amped001
    amped001 Posts: 7
    Options
    Very clever.:laugh:
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ok, so my experience is - and I started lifting about 10kgs into my loss - is that lifting heavy + light cardio is the go. I am 46kgs (103lbs) down, and yes it has taken me three years but I chose to maintain for various reasons most of last year, rather than continue. I have lost 10kgs (or 22lbs) since Jan 1st or so as I have started losing again. <insert long boring story of why I was maintaining, health woes unrelated to all this, etc.>

You will lose scale weight. It has to happen, right, because you're not going to be pounding down like 1000 or 2000 extra cals per day (or maybe that was just me at 130kgs.)?

My experience is this - you will drop weight quickly, but in stages. It's still going that way for me. I drop 3 or 4kgs, and I stop, but my body keeps changing, then the cycle repeats.. Yes, I get you are not happy with your scale weight, and that's totally fair. But you will have to be patient with your scale. Measure, that will keep moving (and motivating) even when the scale does not.

If you lift, you have to eat enough. Not much of a hassle for you NOW at 100lbs over, but it gets to be a tricky line to find when you have maybe 30lbs left to lose (or about 15kgs) like I do. But eat. And eat well - I'm not a clean eating freak, go to McDs not and again but get your macros in, at least.

Also find a lifting program that works for you and decide what you want out of it before you start - strength? definition? both? other? endurance? All those are ok, no matter what people tell you.

And if you can, if you're able, get out of the pink dumbell/machine ghetto and go play with the boys in the freeweights area.

Good luck. :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My personal experience with lifting and weight loss have been very good. I have lost 82 pounds over the past year and I lifted the whole time. I mix lifting and cardio which seems to work best for me. The muscle seems definetly helps me burn more calories and look better. Hope this helps.

This! Lifting is not the end-all and be-all of exercise, there is a lot of value in cardio, too (heart health, it burns calories, gives you endorphin releases, etc). Lifting is important, too.

Also, a mild calorie deficit at this time would be a good idea. Maybe 250-500 calorie deficit a day. If you do have 100 pounds to lose, then your body has the energy to sustain a deficit by using the fat.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I lost 88 pounds 250-162.

I didn't touch a weight until I hit 190. I guess it was just my preference. Then I hit the weights slowly.

I have been maintaining since OCT 1 with alternating days of cardio and weights. I notice my muscles getting larger, waste getting smaller, while still maintaining between 162-165.
  • fireant777
    Options
    Find your TDEE, if your not already eating there. and go into maybe a 300 calorie deficit.. Lifting will definitely help with your weight loss. the more muscle you have the more you are burning. so definitely lift heavy and do some moderate cardio in the week.

I have gained weight. mostly muscle, over the past two years, and for sure look better!!

Good luck girl!!
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have friends who lift, even if I don't (yet). And their outlook is that the best way to get healthy is 75% clean(er) eating, 20% heavy lifting, and 5% cardio. Start whenever.
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting and I didn't have that 100lbs to lose, but I posted your thread in my feed to see if my more experienced/knowledgeable lifiting friends could help you out.

I will not claim to know everything, but here's what I think I've learned in the past week. Lifting while eating up to 300cal under TDEE will allow for weight loss. Lifting while losing is a good idea so that you don't lose your lean body mass along with your body fat. Lifting is great for burning fat because it burns for awhile after working out. Make sure that your protein intake is good if you are eating at a deficit because your muscles need that in order to repair well. If you have that far to go still, I'd throw in a bit of cardio between lifting days. It's a good idea to eat more on lifting days than on the rest days, but if you're also doing cardio then you probably want to take that into account too. A post workout shake is enough to handle those extra calories. Here's a link that has my current workout routine of cardio circuit training 3 times a week, lifting 3 times a week, and 1 rest day: http://lifeofrose.wordpress.com/category/downloadables/health-and-fitness/.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight, I was 210lb's. I started doing weights at curves. For the first 2-3 weeks, I didn't lose any weight, but I lost 6" my second week n 13" my third. Didn't measure week 1, I think. Anywho, after that initial time, I started losing weight. And actually, I lost 15lb's of that before Curves, by doing Atkins. After the 15lb's, I stopped losing, n decided I wasn't going to quit there, n had to figure something out, cuz Atkins wasn't for me...thus Curves, n my first true love, zumba in the circuit!!! :D. I'm now down to 143lb.s with a descent amt of muscle. Our Curves facility closed down, and now we do zumba in a regular gym, n I lift weights n do their machines. Definately have more muscle now! 67lb loss total, and lots of lean muscle gain. Good luck OP!!! :happy:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Don't over think it in the beginning. Eat at a moderate deficit, lift and let the mirror be your scale.:drinker:
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I started heavy lifting about a month ago with the supervision of a trainer after several weeks on the machines. Since then, I've lost a little over 22 pounds, several inches around the waist and hips, and at least an inch through the upper arm (bicep), thigh and neck. I also use heavy cardio days because I'm trying to rebuild lung endurance after abusing my lungs with a horrid habit I'm still fighting. And, I plan on CONTINUING to lift, even after I'm at my goal weight.

Over all, I have lost 110 pounds, so it is possible to lift and loose. I'm a good success story.

Though, I will warn you - I have an open diary, but this week has been an EXCELLENT example of what NOT to do (nets have been atrociously low)! If you're going to peek, make sure to scroll back at least a week for some better examples!
  • time4changexx
    time4changexx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! This is encouraging! I just didnt want lifting to stall my weight loss which from your responses ig does not sound like it will.