Drinking too much water?

groversa
groversa Posts: 450 Member
My stomach feels like I ate a whole buffet plus dessert, but I actually just drank a lot of water. I know, there will be somebody out there who says "Well stop drinking that much water then!" <-- if thats you, just don't reply. Thanks :)

I am wondering if this happens to anybody else and how they ease their stomach when it feels this way. It feels super full and uncomfortable so that I need to take deep breaths. I got done working out, doing insanity a little while ago and craved water, so ended up drinking a lot.

If this happens to you, do you have any ways of making your stomach feel better? I hate the feeling of being full or constantly needing to take deep deep breaths.

Thanks!

Replies

• groversa
    (Plus I am on TOM, i don't know if that could have anything to do with me craving more water than usual?)
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Go for a slow walk maybe? Nothing fast or else you'll cramp, but enough to get the water moving out?

Bump in the hopes that someone will have a better idea, lol
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    oh, TOM will make your stomach feel more bloated than usual, probably, at least it does mine.
    eta: when i feel really full i lay on my stomach in bed. it seems to help a little.
  • groversa
    Well, I probably drank about 9 cups within and after my workout, but I do drink water through out the day, so I do keep hydrated. I keep my water bottle on my at all times, but I guess TOM probably is making me feel more "full" too.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    i don't know about TOO MUCH water...i tend to drink 1 - 2 liters a day. idk if it was the speed of your intake or just quantity, but if you are feeling uncomfortable, you may want to ease the pressure off by laying down...or thinking of rivers and rain forests. ;)

i've only been uncomfortable a couple times after drinking water, but it was usually because i drank it too quickly. maybe next time, take a little more time between sips to appreciate either the moisture or the temperature (sounds weird, but the first way i typed it sounded too pervy!) also, if get this way after your workout, maybe take a pause or two and have a sip during the workout. or just a little water before.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    I drink water all day so I don't feel like that after I work out.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    You can never have enough of water. But those uncomfortable times really do suck and can sometimes really hurt your stomach! I usually just lay down or sit down for a little bit and try to relax. I wouldn't suggest doing any exercises right after just because you can easily get a cramp and make the feeling even worse ( also that when you get it, you might be far from home and have to walk back in excruciating pain. Been there done that.. ) . Even take a short bath if it really hurts. Hope this helps!
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    probably just a lot of water in a small time slot. plus TOM makes everything worse. dont worry!
  • unless YOUR PEEING LIKE A RACE HORSE YOU CAN GET WHAT'S CALLED H20 TOXIC!!!! Your cells can only per-fuse so much water in a short time try to cut back say a hour before you workout. You don't workout on a stomach full of food why would you that consuming so many fluids IE sport drinks coffee jolt Monster or Red Bull ( yeah I like Monster and Red Bull ) . Your body needs time for the water to pass your small intestinal walls . You never said if you were taking any type of Meds before your workout certain drugs my retard your digestion and even sweating and HIT can't make you get rid of the water fast enough . Try and pace your self and cut off say 45 mins so your body has time to clear some of the water you drank during the day. Hope this helps. Look up H20 TOXICITY IT'S NO JOKING MATTER!
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    I read on the news once that there was a water drinking contest for a price and a woman drank so much water that she got water poisoning. She basically diluted herself and died. I swear I heard this on the news. You have to google water poisoning. Just be cautious.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    as long as you're not drowning your body on a cellular level it's fine.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Well . . . . stop drinking so much water then.

Or at least slow down your rate of consumption,
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    While water poisoning, or dilutional hyponatremia, can certainly be deadly, I can promise you no one will crave enough water to make it happen. Drink as much water as you're thirsty for, and don't worry about it. I drink a lot of water too, but the most I can remember downing within a few minutes was about 40 ounces. The discomfort shouldn't last long, because water doesn't require real digestion.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Fluipd overload is a real drink, unsure how much exactly you are drinking. When my stomach hurts and put a heating pad on it not the best idea after work out but it may help
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    unless YOUR PEEING LIKE A RACE HORSE YOU CAN GET WHAT'S CALLED H20 TOXIC!!!! Your cells can only per-fuse so much water in a short time try to cut back say a hour before you workout. You don't workout on a stomach full of food why would you that consuming so many fluids IE sport drinks coffee jolt Monster or Red Bull ( yeah I like Monster and Red Bull ) . Your body needs time for the water to pass your small intestinal walls . You never said if you were taking any type of Meds before your workout certain drugs my retard your digestion and even sweating and HIT can't make you get rid of the water fast enough . Try and pace your self and cut off say 45 mins so your body has time to clear some of the water you drank during the day. Hope this helps. Look up H20 TOXICITY IT'S NO JOKING MATTER!

I think you'd be hard pressed to find yourself in this situation.

You're more than likely just drinking it too quickly.

It's mildly uncomfortable.

To avoid it just sip it and don't gulp it down.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    I think its pretty hard to drink too much water unless you're purposely trying to. With that case, you'd know if you were drinking too much. You'd be kinda dead. Maybe you're drinking it too fast?

Try to incorporate a little food in there, like a light snack or something. I know what it feels like to be waterlogged, its all sloshy and whatnot.
  • Just Carry On ....HAHAHAHAHA
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Warm or room temp water will make you feel full, cold water will hydrate you faster without getting the "full" feeling as bad.

This happens to me. If I get done with a workout and drink about a 16oz glass of tap water I feel so full and bloated. So, I try to always have a bottle of cold water in the fridge ready to go. The cold water helps me cool down and hydrate without getting the fullness from drinking.

Edit for spelling-