I feel so ashamed...

Options
Take a look at my diary. I am so utterly disappointed in myself. I've lost a total of 16 pounds over the last 2 months, and I feel like all of the stress and all of the pressure I've put myself under finally caught up with me, and I completely let myself go. It got to the point today where I kept eating as much as I could possibly stomach because I was so ashamed and I felt so guilty. I was supposed to weigh myself today, but because of my circumstances I wasn't able to (didn't have a scale). I am planning on holding off on weighing in until next Friday. I don't want to let this extra 2500 calories ruin everything I've accomplished. I want to move forward. But how?

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Start over tomorrow.

One day isn't going to make or break your progress.

Whenever I eat like a maniac I just take it out on my training the next day.

EDIT: Also, great job on continuing to log even though you were going over.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    The day is not over yet. You've only had breakfast (if I'm looking at the right day) and you are on 1200 a day which is why it seems you have so little left over :wink:
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    Start over tomorrow.

This. One day isn't a big deal. Those feelings of shame however? Figure that stuff out. It can cause more damage than one day of indulgence. And good job losing the 16 so far!
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary. I am so utterly disappointed in myself. I've lost a total of 16 pounds over the last 2 months, and I feel like all of the stress and all of the pressure I've put myself under finally caught up with me, and I completely let myself go. It got to the point today where I kept eating as much as I could possibly stomach because I was so ashamed and I felt so guilty. I was supposed to weigh myself today, but because of my circumstances I wasn't able to (didn't have a scale). I am planning on holding off on weighing in until next Friday. I don't want to let this extra 2500 calories ruin everything I've accomplished. I want to move forward. But how?

You had a bad day. Let it go.

Focus on all the good days you've had over the last 2 months. Then, get back on the train heading towards your goals.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only way you are going to succeed in the long run is to not let your failures cause you to quit. I can't tell you how many days I've turned a 1000+ calorie surplus. But I haven't quit, and I'm losing weight. The only secret is not quitting.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Stop it. Put the day behind you and start over tomorrow. Weigh yourself and move on. You were honest logging, which is awesome! It's going to be okay.
  • tguillen12
    tguillen12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its a viscious cycle isn't it? We try so hard and when we fail we hit hard and then feel ashamed. Tomorrow is a new day. You did not gain 16 lbs back in one day. Recommit tomorrow ;)
  • viperfrost
    Options
    We all fall off the wagon sometimes, that is just part of being human! Don't berate yourself over a bad day, the fact that you know you fell off is punishment enough. Just start back on the high road tomorrow, and wait at least a week to weigh and you will never see the difference! Hang in there, if it was easy and smooth all the time we would all look like supermodels!

Viper
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Start over tomorrow.

Definitely this. We've all had bad days. What breaks people most is that when they go over one day, they feel like they failed and adopt the "why bother" mentality and go back to eating unhealthily (at least that's been the case for me at times). The main thing you need to do is just get right back on track tomorrow. A bad day really won't affect anything. We've all been there, don't beat yourself up about it too much!!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Its a viscious cycle isn't it? We try so hard and when we fail we hit hard and then feel ashamed. Tomorrow is a new day. You did not gain 16 lbs back in one day. Recommit tomorrow ;)

This is very true!
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    You're not the only one who's done this; trust me. Just this weekend I went on a trip and didn't control myself from eating nearly a dozen quaker chocolate oatmeal bars; and that's just one bad thing I ate Sunday. I was so ashamed, stressed, disappointed, frustrated, and hurt that I didn't even enter all the food I ate this weekend. It's all about controlling that voice in your head that tells you that it's fine to eat so much. It might not seem like a lot, but since I got back Monday night, I've been eating great these past 4 days and I'm so proud. Just staying on track these past few days, I already lost the 2 pounds I gained over the weekend, and I know that I'll stay strong. Just push yourself and tell yourself you're better than that animal that just wants to eat junk. Imagine yourself the way you'd like to look ideally and motivate yourself that way :)

I also like to fit in "treats" as long as they fit in my macros! I love having nutella with apple slices, for example :D Just don't go out and buy something tempting. Treat yourself with something you've been craving, but be strong and limit yourself to a good portion. If you want more, plan to have some more the next day! That really keeps me going and makes me excited to finish one great day and head to another one :]

We all have had bad days like that; don't stress over it. Tomorrow is a fresh new day!
  • rachie25half
    rachie25half Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just to be practical--you really have to eat 3500 calories to gain a pound; As others have said--start over tomorrow. I don't always go under my calorie goal, but I try not to let a bad day get me down. Keep recording--you can do it!:smile:
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    So you had a sugar binge no problem.. today you didn't work at losing anything but some willpower :bigsmile: You are not a superhero, Yet! :flowerforyou: Move on and hit your goals the restof the week.

And don't let it Happen Again!!! :wink: :wink: :grumble: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Most likely you're starving. 1200 a day is not normally enough for most people. You could probably increase to 1600 and still lose. Seriously. And avoid the binges.

DEFINITELY agree with this. When ever I try to eat too low, it's counter productive as I end up binging. Have you read the thread- in place of a road map?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Most likely you're starving. 1200 a day is not normally enough for most people. You could probably increase to 1600 and still lose. Seriously. And avoid the binges.

I would also tend to agree with this as well. Your diet could be off. I would try boosting you intake by an extra 200 calories. My guess is you'll still lose without all the hunger issues. Especially if you're already dropping the weight quickly as is.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    You've done the right think firstly by still logging it and secondly by posting here- which should hopefully stop you continuing with a binge.
  • ChicaDaddy
    Options
    Wow look at all these members you came out to cheer you on to get your head back in the game. Why is it you feel so ashame you over ate a few meals? Ok No BS I am a up front guy so I am going to say it as it is dear. Why ? Why did you feel the need to break your diet ? Stress? anger? depressed? upset? pissed off? worried? Mad?sad? under the weather?????Aunt Flow from red bank kicking your *kitten*???.................For all the reasons I listed do you think any of them are worth all the sweat and effort you have put in to get this far? I'd make a fair guess and say not a single one. We all fall down sometime so we can learn to pick our selfs back up even in times of sorrow We go on. From the first day you picked up a weight and said to yourself " I can do this you became part of what Joe Weider calls " The brotherhood of Iron" so any place on this earth you see another fitness buff you can id with there hard work and desire to overcome whatever task is before them. We all have one short coming or another but we never let it beat us We all have been where you are right now. Hey main thing is you figure out why it happen What triggered it and be ready for the signs next time so you can kick it's *kitten* ( the problem) out of your life for good cause your one of us the Alpha's the go getters we stop at nothing to make our goals reality. So in the moring get your food for the day prepped and ready mesure out all your food as you been doing and get back in the game and do some extra cardio if you must but don't just give up we are all pulling for you Lil Sis! .............................and if you really need a swifter kick let me know i do pick me ups and windows LOL!!!=)
  • michellewong699
    michellewong699 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Don't feel discouraged! You have come such a long way and this is only ONE day! Instead of feeling ashamed for one weak moment, look at all you have already accomplished and continue on! This one day does not erase all the progress you've made. It only shows you that you are human and that you can't always be perfect.

If you or anyone needs extra motivation, then feel free to add me! I just started on this site, but it truly is an inspirational experience.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Just put it behind you. You just move forward one meal at a time. Learn from your poor choices and keep going. There is nothing to be ashamed of unless you let this mistake stop your forward movement.