2 - 5 rep range ? I don't want hypertrophy !

Options
Hi

I'm currently eating at tdee or slightly above tdee. Unfortunately I have been bulking when I didn't intend to and put 2 cm on my chest and 1 cm on each arm. At least my waist and hips went down though!

I don't want to get any bigger !

I want to continue lifting heavy as I enjoy it

If I lift heavy in the 2 - 5 Rep range with 3 - 5 sets will this cause me to add muscle? I'm hoping it will just help me to get stronger without adding more bulk.

The other option is to lift a lighter more moderate weight for 15 reps but I don't find this challenging enough. I'd much prefer to lift heavy !!

I also know I have to watch my calorie intake because if I eat in surplus I end up doing a bulk. I don't want to bulk.

:) thanks for your help

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it's generally accepted that reps in the 3-5 range will build strength, not muscle. 6-12 range is considered muscle building range. This assumes weight used is heavy enough to cause failure at the top of the range.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Eat less, and you will not grow.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    if you are eating above TDEE you will grow. You will gain fat and muscle, no mother what is the rep range. Eat less
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lrtlx9uiAq1r1n07ho1_500.jpg Tell me how a muscular physique is a bad thing?

I don't want to sound like an a-hole, but if you understand the principles of a bulk and a cut are you trolling?
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Read my metabolic reset thread and you'll understand! I'm currently trying to figure out my tdee so at times might be in surplus. Yesterday I decided to cut my calories by 100 to see how I go. I stayed away from the weights for the past 10 days and today started back. I did 15 reps with some super sets. I'll experiment for the next month with this routine and maybe throw in some heavy weights with 2-5 reps & hopefully will find the right calorie balance to maintain my weight. :)

I think in the mean time whilst I'm still figuring out my tdee I'll also scale back on the weights. Ill just do one body part/one session a week.
  • DavPul
    Options
    It's possible that she's at goal weight (120 lbs) and that she doesn't wish to look like the woman in the photo above. If that's the case then eating less than tdee isn't an ideal option for her.

If recommend keeping the reps in the 4-6 range, keeping the total number of sets per muscle group low (3-5), and avoiding direct work for areas that she doesn't want to grow. When I'm not trying to make my arms bigger I don't work my arms. Without knowing the OP's routine it's hard to be specific but that's my general advice for anyone in this situation.

Also it should go without saying that if you're eating in a surplus you're going to gain fat and/or muscle. The amount you train will determine the ratio
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    That rep range is more for strength rather than hypertrophy, so it would be a good option for you. That is the rep range I work in and I'm just aiming to increase strength while I cut (lose fat) and maintain muscle.

If you're aiming to lose and are in a calorie deficit, you will not gain size/bulk up, regardless of the rep range.
  • DavPul
    Options
    OP posted while I was typing. High reps and Supersets sounds like a hypertrophy routine. You may want to switch routines. I'd keep the reps above 3 because less tends to work ligaments more than muscle. And I wouldn't worry too much either way because it's not like you're going to gain an inch a month in your arms each month to infinity. You'd be lucky to gain another inch all year.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    It's possible that she's at goal weight (120 lbs) and that she doesn't wish to look like the woman in the photo above. If that's the case then eating less than tdee isn't an ideal option for her.

If recommend keeping the reps in the 4-6 range, keeping the total number of sets per muscle group low (3-5), and avoiding direct work for areas that she doesn't want to grow. When I'm not trying to make my arms bigger I don't work my arms. Without knowing the OP's routine it's hard to be specific but that's my general advice for anyone in this situation.

Also it should go without saying that if you're eating in a surplus you're going to gain fat and/or muscle. The amount you train will determine the ratio

Good idea I'll stop working on my isolation exercises like biceps curls. The biceps probably get enough of a workout whilst doing my compound exercises. Perhaps I should also stay away from isolation tricep too. I don't mind doing isolation shoulders as they say the bigger the delts the smaller the waist looks!

Thanks everyone for the tips. Anyway im sure it will all work out ok especially when I nail the right tdee amount
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    it's generally accepted that reps in the 3-5 range will build strength, not muscle. 6-12 range is considered muscle building range. This assumes weight used is heavy enough to cause failure at the top of the range.

This.

Also check your diet.
  • sadance12
    Options

This.

Also check your diet.

Probably should take a look at what kind of protein you're taking/eating, too.
  • DavPul
    Options
    There are kinds of proteins? Do tell
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I think they meant different sources of proteins.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Okay.....and that would affect hypertrophy in what way?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There is really no such thing as a hypertrophy rep range. You can get bigger in any range really.

Example is a power lifter. He works out in the 3-5 range. The 3-5 range recruits almost 100% muscle fiber. So if the power lifter works out in that range and is recruiting nearly 100% muscle fiber but next week he can lift more (assuming everything else is the same) it HAD to come from creating additional muscle.

The 6-12 range is really just what some consider the optimal range for creating muscle building conditions.

Eat at or below maintenance, continue to lift the same weight for the same reps and you will stop growing.