Travel- Eating out Tips? How to stay on calorie count?

Options
I have a 5 day trip coming up and I am very worried about how to maintain eating within my calorie budget. I'm staying at a hotel wtih a gym, so even with planned activities, I will be able to fit in 30 mins cardio per day and possibly some other exercise, time permitting.

I am only trying to lose a half pound per week, so you'd think this would be easier.

My goal is 20 lb weight loss, I've lost 3 lbs since June 11 (today is the 28th) I eat approx 1550 cals per day and work out 3-4x per week.

Here are my fears:

1. I find that when even ONE MEAL is over 500 calories, my budget busts for the day. (I eat 3 meals and 3 small snacks a day)

2. reading nutrition charts from restaurants has produced very discouraging information: it seems almost impossible to find a meal around 300-400 cals ANYWHERE.

Example:

I.e. the first time I ate out since joining MFP, I ate a Burritto Bowl at Chipotle (a "healthy" fresh food chain) last week: no tortilla, no cheese, only some high quality, low fat rice and beans, some lean meat, and lettuce with pico de gallo- which is tomato, onion, cilantro and lime juice) and it turned out to be over 600 cals!)

next time, I'll have only the meat and the lettuce, obviously, but brown rice and black beans are supposed to be very healthy for you!

I ate a low calorie (back of menu) breakfast at IHOP that was 450 cals and starting the day out with that many cals put me about 250 over for that day.

I mean-- it really seems to be NO EXAGGERATION that you can't eat out at restaurants AT ALL- all meals must be carefully calculated and prepared at home.

So how does one travel with 3 meals a day OUT (and do you stop eating snacks?) ???

Any tips?

Replies

• hallswan
    hallswan Posts: 90
    Options
    I am going to rome on Friday - back on Monday and I too have made a decision to go to the gym for a run everyday that I am there!

However - I travel quite a bit for work and unless I bring all my meals with me, I find that most restaurants (in the UK) at least don't put there nutritional content out there so I try stick salads with no dressings and meat!

When I go to rome - i am on holiday so I have made a decision to eat as healthily as possible (i.e. salads/ pasta without the creamy sauce option)and to excercise but to not even try to figure out how many calories in each meal. I also will not drink much alcohol which has so many hidden calories its frightening.

Travelling is not condusive to dieting I have come to the conclusion and 5 days of not being perfect is not the end of the world - get back on it when you get home - just don't go to the extreme when you are travelling

I know this is probably not the best answer in the world but I have travelled about 6 times in the last 2 months from 1-5 days and its the best advice I can offer!

Have fun on your trip and try and enjoy yourself

N
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Id try reducing the amount of calories from snacks, but dont avoid them alltogether. If you can squeese in a little more excercise to allow yourself more calories throughout the day (dont forget, walking around sightseeing is also excercise :wink: )

Also, as you are on holiday, if you really want to keep on top of your food log, why dont you try switching to maintain calories instead of losing just for your holiday. That way you wont gain, but your not so restricted by calories.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    some suggestions..go to a local market and pic up fresh fruit and healthy snacks to bring with you and keep in the hotel fridge.
    Next..simply eat less...eat slowly chew alot..and leave atleast 1/4 of the food on the plate. Believe it or not but you could me more satisfied eating less if you just take your time, savor the flavors, eat slow and it gives your body time to figure out your full on much less food than before. As for places to go..I'm Canadian can't really recommend anything in the US...but most places have healthy options you just have to look. But start with soups and salads/ or the appetizer menu..and stick to that..smaller portions anyway.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have traveled and done great. What I did was plan for evening meal out as the biggest because that is where most socializing is done. I packed breakfast or granola bars for breakfast (130 to 190 cal) OR if you have a fridge in room yogurt is good. For snacks it was apples or strawberries (or if on run you can pack a breakfast bar for snack and have the fruit for breakfast. Lunch salad or fruit plate. That would usually allow plenty of calories for dinner. A steak (lean 6 oz) or grilled chicken, steamed vegetables or salad will work great. HOpe this helps!
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    some1 said this already but.. definitely go to a local store (usually one around anywhere ive gone)
    but loads of apples/oranges and whatever else ur heart desires!
    not only snack on these... but also eat an apple right before dinner =]
    this is my favorite trick!!

ill usually either order a salad (dressing on the side) with a lean meat.
    or ill order catch of the day wait side of veggies or side salad.
    dont be afraid to ask them to change things around. if something is pan seared remember that if u wanna cut a bit of fat u should ask for it grilled. i usually say "can u have the chef grill it instead with some cajun spices" - say something that wont make u sound like a health-nut lol because ive noticed that when i do say something like "no butter" or something... everyone on the table has to comment and call me out as if i just ordered a piece of lettuce and large water lol

im known to always ask for a round of water right away. and i usually drink 4 glasses at every meal! CRAZY I KNOW... but i always always drink loads lol i dont really TRY to..idk why i do it. but it definitely helps.

dont deprive urself! just make choices.
    theres nothing wrong with a scoop of ice cream!! (if u ask for it in SMALL, and in a CUP... maybe with some nuts on top) ull be sooooo satisfied if u reward urself.
    ull never feel like ur on a diet.

have fun!
  • wallena
    wallena Posts: 32
    Options
    it's true, it's hard to stay in calorie count while dining out, especially when your friends order an appetitzer or they serve chips and salsa pre meal. the best thing to do in this case is expect progress, not perfection. do your best to stay on target while you're on vacation but if you go over, step up the work out. you'll be surprised how much progress you are making without even realizing it. the fact that you are eating is causing your body to burn calories. believe it. i'd stick to the basics if you can. don't eliminate all fats, like cheese. lol. you're on vacation. eat chicken, salads, vegetables but do have the occasional chips and salsa. enjoy yourself and don't obsess. the workouts will help give you the sense of accomplishment you need to feel good. so, if you can muster the strength, get up every morning or before you go to sleep and work out. all will be well. have a good time. :)
  • wallena
    Options
    i think that is a great idea. after all, maintaining on vacation is an accomplishment all on its own.
  • wallena
    Options
    i have another example for you. i went to subway and ordered the chicken onion teriyaki on wheat, no cheese and my calorie counter said it was 480 cal. the same as a double cheeseburger. which do you think i'd rather have. lol. a lot less fat, grant it but a calorie is a calorie in the end. sometimes it's just better to have what you really want and just be accountable.
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    Maybe this has been said (I confess, I didn't read through all the posts), but I think it's important to go into each meal with a game plan. Scout out the menu online before you go, decide what you're going to order and stick with it. Call ahead to see if they can prepare things differently for you (sometimes it's harder to do when you're sitting with your guests) if nothing on the menu is suitable. Scout some different menus at different restaurants and pick your locations by what has the best meal for you.

Most chains have their nutritional information online. Someone mentioned Subway - a 6" turkey without cheese or sauce is just 280 calories (load it up with veggies!). Even with cheese it's only 320! If you're going to a place with nutritional information online, scout that in advance too and know exactly what you're going to have and how many calories it will cost you.
  • eliaison
    eliaison Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow. THANK YOU!

All of these are really GREAT answers, very helpful and motivating. You've armed me with some good information and ideas -and a fair variety of them, too- and I feel much more positive about this upcoming trip (and future trips).

I plan to log in every day, will definitely commit to the morning 30 mins cardio at the hotel, and plan to re-read this post many times!

Thanks again!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Whenever we eat out we compromise on the entree and split it. I always feel satisfied and I have saved half the calories. I also drink a lot of water with my meal. Good luck! If it is a vacation then don't stress so much that you don't enjoy yourself.