Do you believe that everyone can get fit?

Options

Replies

• norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Anyone can become fit. Even those with disabilites can do physical activities.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Anybody can. It's just a matter if they actually want to or not.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    YES. If I can do it, then anyone can.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, kneecaps that dislocate, and ulnar neuropathy in my left arm (essentially carpal tunnel in my elbow) and I'm doing it. (yeah, I totally won the physical lotto, haha)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everyone can do it, but probably to different levels. Someone I know quit smoking in his early 40s and took up running. He's 46 now and runs marathons.

I've been losing weight/getting fit since my daughter was a few weeks old, which was 20 months ago. Now I can easily complete a spinning class. I reckon I could do 2 back-to-back. I can do aerobics as high-impact as possible. My PT is really impressed with how far I've come - I can lift heavier weights, lunge better, run faster and for longer, do sit ups properly, hold a plank for so much longer etc.

Obviously the more time you have to dedicate to fitness, the fitter you can become, but you have to make sure you are putting the effort in.
  • AnnieJ0
    AnnieJ0 Posts: 4
    Options
    i can relate to what u r saying. i think it is possible with dedication & healthy eating. notice i didn't say diet! i know i am not the fittest YET, but i have lost about 60lbs since july 2012. i just started to use this to keep better track of my calorie intake. when i first started i got winded walking to the park. i didn't give up. my advice to u is this: try to better urself daily-even if it is just by a tiny bit. those tiny bits add up. good luck && don't give up!
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    YES, everyone can get fit...I am a living witness...I've always liked to move BUT recently (at 40) it has truly been taken up a notch with the excess weight and all...it is all about mindset...whatever you speak in your heart, so are you...the power of life and death is in the tongue...begin speaking daily affirmation over yourself and watch the progress and your mindset change...YOU can do this!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yes I think anyone can (Unless you suffer severe health complaints) at school I was the most unfit pupil in my class. Always came last in everything and couldn't run 1 minute without losing my breath and feeling a burning in my lungs. Now I wouldn't say I'm the most fit girl, but I am certainly a lot fitter than I use to be and getting better every day. I can manage jogging for a good period of time, keep up in activities such as Tae Bo etc
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I believe any body can be fit.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Yes, anyone can do it.

Focus on a moderate amount of cardio and a reasonable strength training program. I started out doing some very serious cardio (100km hikes and what not). That did very little other than cause injuries. Focus instead on a proper diet with a reasonable calorie deficit with some flexibility for cheats so you stay on track and sane!

Good luck and keep going!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    YES
  • jackedphilosopher
    Options
    No, some people simply don't have the motivation or mindset to get fit. We live in a time of instant gratification and the journey to getting fit has absolutely no room for this. It takes a certain individual to maintain the discipline and hard work needed to get and stay fit.
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    no. only the badass ones can do it
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Everybody has the potential to get to a decent level but some will get there quicker and easier.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Yes, anyone can do it.

Focus on a moderate amount of cardio and a reasonable strength training program. I started out doing some very serious cardio (100km hikes and what not). That did very little other than cause injuries. Focus instead on a proper diet with a reasonable calorie deficit with some flexibility for cheats so you stay on track and sane!

Good luck and keep going!

^^THIS!!!
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    Yes, never used to think so when I was 240lbs. and didn't eat a lot.... just thought that was going to be the way my life was but to my own surpise I was able to change the direction of my life. I think if you really want it bad enough and are willing to put the work in, everyone is capable.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I believe you can do whatever you put your mind to! If you want to be fit you can do it you just have to push yourself. Mind over body!
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. We're all going to have strengths and weaknesses. I have a harder time building cardio endurance than most people but I'm a natural weight lifter. I very quickly increase the amount of weight I can lift. I've really worked on my endurance lately though and I've made big improvements for me. Will I ever run a marathon? Probably not but I can now run a decent 5K.
  • BiggJim38
    BiggJim38 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone can lift. The key is to find a weight that works for them.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Fitter? Yes. But if I ever tried that pose in victoria2448's avatar on Page 1 of this discussion they'd have to call 911 to untangle me!

I agree that some of the ability to get fitter is based on the body you've got, chronic conditions, bad genes and all, but there's nearly always room for improvement and some chronic conditions will improve with exercise and activity. (This is not medical advice. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.)

I was a gym class loser. I hated Phys. Ed in HS- it was mostly team sports and I lack the co-ordination to play team sports. No one wanted me on their team. I envied a friend of mine who had a tumor removed from her leg and got to sit out all the softball games for a whole season and just keep score. I was thin and active- mostly bicycling and swimming- but that didn't do me much good in Phys. Ed.

Fast forward. I'm 60. Thanks to on-premises gyms at my previous and current employer, exercise classes at my last employer and a wellness porgram at my new job (which motivated me to get a heart rate monitor), I'm in better shape than I've ever been. Ten years ago I got drafted into a local corporate athletic competition and my teammates were ecstatic to find a 50-year old willing to run the mile race (walking not allowed), the half-mile, the 5K, do a 200-meter swim and (with some persuasion) do the sprint triathlon, which is now my favorite event. There's very little competition in these endurance events in my age group so I rack up mucho points for the team just by finishing. My current employer, also a participant in the event, was jokingly accused of poaching me for their team when I changed jobs last year. I'm looking forward to competing with a new T-shirt!

While I'm blessed with good genes and no chronic health problems, I can tell you that age and lack of co-ordination are no excuse for being out of shape.