Whey Protein before or after working out?

Options
My boyfriend has some powder hanging around from when he was in a lifting class in high school (just a year or so ago - it's not old or anything). He's told me I can use it, though I've never really wanted to. However, I've noticed that I have major problems getting enough protein (I usually get about 2/3 of what MFP recommends - sometimes less, which is low anyways), and since it's a workout day, I figured what could it hurt?

Now, to the actual question. I'm going to need to eat between work and working out, and since I plan on drinking the protein should I just do it then? Or should I wait until after the workout? Or does it even make a difference?

Replies

• panano
    panano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It does make a difference - taking it before a workout isn't beneficial to your body. Yes, you got the protein in there, but the protein is supposed to help you build muscles. (Don't worry, you're not going to look like a woman body builder) Take some after your workout, it'll help your muscles recover faster. I'm starting taking mine again, it really does help.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    its most effective upon waking and post workout
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It does make a difference - taking it before a workout isn't beneficial to your body. Yes, you got the protein in there, but the protein is supposed to help you build muscles. (Don't worry, you're not going to look like a woman body builder) Take some after your workout, it'll help your muscles recover faster. I'm starting taking mine again, it really does help.

This is not true.

It doesn't matter when you drink a protein drink. Drink it when you want it. Food timing is mostly nonsense.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    bump because I'm getting mixed answers :embarassed:
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options

This is not true.

It doesn't matter when you drink a protein drink. Drink it when you want it. Food timing is mostly nonsense.

oh boy
  • ambrats954rr
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I do have a personal trainer. After almost a year of seeing very little progress weight loss wise, he started really getting on me about protein and overall diet. In February I added a protein powder to my diet. It's made all the difference in the world for me. I have lost 13lbs. I have always worked out, but changing my Carbs, Fats, and Protein ratio is what made the difference in my weight loss. Now, I'm trying to make up 40% of my daily calories in protein. Protein from powder, that I mix in a banana, peanutbutter, coffee grounds, ice and water mix, straight powder in water, and chicken breasts. Reducing my carbs and fats as much as I can has helped too. I really don't care if anyone says this is wrong, because the proof is in my results. I think it's something I can stick with long term and I' m hoping to drop another 13lbs. Good luck!! I really encourage you to add protein powder to your diet. Another benefit, it curbs your hunger very, very well.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i always take it after. sometimes before. from what i've seen in my internet based research/what my husband has told me, it is most important to have after, specifically within about 30 minutes. your muscles are torn after lifting and getting that protein in to you ASAP helps start the repair process, so that you can take full advantage of all that tearing you did while you were working out.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    i always take it after. sometimes before. from what i've seen in my internet based research/what my husband has told me, it is most important to have after, specifically within about 30 minutes. your muscles are torn after lifting and getting that protein in to you ASAP helps start the repair process, so that you can take full advantage of all that tearing you did while you were working out.

So I guess it's different depending on what I want it for. If I want it to just increase my protein, it doesn't matter really when I ingest it. However, if I want it for recuperation after lifting/working out, I should obviously ingest it then. Does that work with, like, high resistance cycling and elliptical or only with straight up lifting? I've been working up to heavy lifting, but as I have back problems because of pole vaulting, I have to get it cleared with my chiropractor first :')
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is made that way so they're quicker to break down and absorb by your body. As such, you should take it right after your exercise, or right before it ends. If your source of protein is a chunk of lean meat, you should probably calculate some time for it to be broken down by your stomach. Because it's kinda tough to know when your steak has been fully digested, people who want to build muscle depend on the protein shake.
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The reason whey protein is recommended for post work out is because it is the fastest type of protein to be digested. After you lift or do any exercise in general that uses any muscles, you have a 30-45 minute window to consume some kind of protein to replenish your muscles with amino acids (the building blocks of protein) that are needed to help recover and repair broken muscle fibers. Whey protein is best to be taken post workout, but it won't hurt you to use it as a protein source throughout the day. This advice is coming to you from myself (I am a trained nutritional consultant) and my trainer who is certified in nutrition as well. You can eat or drink a different kind of protein but as someone else commented above you would need to account for the time it would take to digest it, thus why whey protein is preferred, because it is so convenient!
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options

This is not true.

oh boy

LMAO!
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    After.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter unless you work out fasted. I happen to prefer to work out fasted, so I have a protein shake/bar after my workouts and nothing before.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

So I guess it's different depending on what I want it for. If I want it to just increase my protein, it doesn't matter really when I ingest it. However, if I want it for recuperation after lifting/working out, I should obviously ingest it then. Does that work with, like, high resistance cycling and elliptical or only with straight up lifting? I've been working up to heavy lifting, but as I have back problems because of pole vaulting, I have to get it cleared with my chiropractor first :')

that's kind of my line of thought, i guess. if you want to take it after that cardio, it's definitely not going to hurt you. i used to drink one after EVERY workout, regardless of whether it was weights or cardio. however, i think that it would be *most* beneficial in terms of muscle building to do it specifically after a strength (weightlifting) workout. again, i'm not an expert. this is just my experience.
  • Django1977
    Options
    I would drink after workout because your body needs protein to repair the muscles...
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    The importance of meal timing is vastly overshadowed by total caloric/macro-nutrient intake BUT that does not mean it is utterly useless/irrelevant to optimal performance.