A question for moms who eat clean/healthy.

Options
I have hit a healthy weight and recently started lifting recently. I would like to reduce my body fat a bit. I was at 22% last time I checked. I would like to get closer to 20%.

I know diet plays a big part in this. That is were I am having issues. I want to eat right but I do not want to make two different meals a day. I see so many healthy meal ideas but there is no way the rest of my family (husband included) would eat them. How do some of the others moms do it?

My diary is open if you want to take a peek.

Replies

• amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I make a moderately healthy meal for my family and then just modify it for myself. For example, I might make teriyaki salmon with a vegetable and then just add rolls and baked potatoes or something like that that the kids like but I just eat the salmon and vegetables. This way I'm only making one meal and it forces the kids to eat a little healthier. It takes a little will power to not eat the "extras" but I can usually resist :)
    Other meals:
    Pizza and salad, with just a big salad for me
    taco night - make normal meat version for my family but just put avocado and veggies on my tacos

You get the idea. I do force my family to eat healthier every once in awhile. It's good for them.

I also ALWAYS keep boxed organic soups on hand that I can heat up quickly if I really do need to make myself something different than what the kids are eating. That way I'm eating something I like and it's quick and easy.

I've also put a lot of effort into healthy recipes that the kids will actually eat.

Good luck!
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm mean, but I cook. So I decide what gets cooked. I give my boys a chance to have input on 1 or 2 meals a week and the rest of the time they eat what I make :)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    It's really important that everyone eat a healthy diet. Your husband can make his own choices but your kids are under your control. I'd make changes slowly but I'd definitely make them. Snacks can be a choice of fruits or veggies and dip kind of thing.

Kids are very adaptable. Your kids deserve good nutritious food that will help them grow and keep them healthy. With obesity and diabetes spiraling out of control, we are looking at the first generation of kids who won't live as long as their parents. You can help your kids beat those odds.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Overall I feed my kids healthy. I try to balance their meals and keep sugar snacks at a minimum. There are still a lot of casseroles, pasta, ect because that is what my 3 year old will eat. I want to clean it up some. I may try the making one dish and alter sides to fit both.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I do like the idea of including them in meal planning too :-). I appreciate all the input.
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do one dinner the same for everyone if they don't eat it they go hungry including my husband although he is a chef so is well able to fend for himself if he doesn't want what i have cooked.

I cook pretty much everything from scratch, curries, asian style soups, stir fries, roast dinners, shepherds pie, pasta dishes e.t.c i have learned to cook everything fairly low cal but healthy and nutritious, it's quite simple really once you are using as little fat/oil as possible and plenty of veg, my son doesn't like veg he just picks it out, i don't pander to him if i did he would be eating nutella sambos for every meal lol

I don't modify any of my meals or do different meals with the exception to a very spicy meal too hot for the kids i will do something else for them, i also do my own brown rice as no one else likes brown rice but have started mixing half white and half brown rice for the kids and they are not noticing it so soon hopefully we will all be on brown rice
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am not a short order cook. I make one dinner for the family and either they eat it or they go to bed hungry. My kids are 7yo and 9yo and have really expanded their palates over the last few months. However, I do tweak some things for my husband and I on occasion. An example is last night's dinner. We had burgers and I made them homemade oven baked fries and I had a baked sweet potato instead.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm mean, but I cook. So I decide what gets cooked. I give my boys a chance to have input on 1 or 2 meals a week and the rest of the time they eat what I make :)

Same here....well, my husband is doing most of the cooking lately.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority here - if they don't like what I've cooked they go without!! Sounds harsh but I've never yet heard that anyone has starved because of it. Yes, a little modification is sometimes necessary but essentially, unless there is a particular dislike to something, one meal is enough to cook !!
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hubby and eldest eat what I make, I don't eat carbs so they don't either. My husband is a fitness fanatic and can grab something if he needs it after his workout. My youngest although 13 would starve rather than eat my low carb diet, so I have to make her something else. I cook from scratch every meal, dinner is usually veggies with some protein, or a large mixed salad, my daughter loves fries (chips over here) and pizza, along with pasta, they are not allowed on my diet, so I just make hers as then at least I know she is eating, and it;'s not a great deal of extra work. I do add veggies or salad to her dinner, and as long as it's things she likes she does eat them, so it's a reasonable compromise.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I eat healthily and my 3 year old and 1 year old eat what we do, unless it's something really spicy, like when my husband makes Thai green curry.

My 1 year old is amazing at eating and she will eat pretty much anything that's put in front of her, and she's never had food from jars as a baby or eaten from somewhere like McDonald's, although my husband has bought the kids fish 'n' chips on occasion (we live in an English seaside town). My son is a bit more fussy, but he loves chicken, fishcakes, tuna, jacket potatoes, broccoli, eggs etc.

My husband likes healthy food too, although he does like the aforementioned fish n chips!

I don't have time to make two meals, especially as my husband works shifts so I am on my own with the kids for dinner time every other week.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options

This....healthy lifestyle is important for the whole family
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, I make 1 dinner and you either eat it or you don't- your choice. I will plan ahead sometimes so that there are leftovers from the night before (something my kids liked) that they can eat the next night while my husband and I have something that I know the kids don't like- if that makes sense.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, I make 1 dinner and you either eat it or you don't- your choice. I will plan ahead sometimes so that there are leftovers from the night before (something my kids liked) that they can eat the next night while my husband and I have something that I know the kids don't like- if that makes sense.

I do the same. Or I make them a baked potato and tuna if we're having something they really don't like.