healthy sushi options?

Options
Trying to lose weight & be healthy but I'd love to know some healthy sushi rolls I could order!

Replies

• fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Avoid the ones with sauce if you like maki rolls. Lots of places can give you brown rice instead of white too if you ask. I eat mostly nigiri sushi, which is just a little rice, wasabi, and sliced fish- no mayonnaise or spicy sauce, which are the things you want to watch for!
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    mmmm I LOVE sushi! Your most healthy choice is obviously sashimi, just the fish with no rice. (But that isn't always as fun) I love salmon nigiri. Also if you're looking for a roll, you can get a cucumber or other veggie rolls for a lower cal option. Just avoid anything "spicy," "crunchy" or tempura." Rainbow rolls are a little but higher in calories but its loaded with healthy fats from the fish and avocado, so that's always a healthy choice too.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I just order sashimi
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    nothing fried
    no nondescript sauce

I really can't recommend it enough: sashimi.

I'll still have a roll here and there, but because they vary from one place to another, I never know exactly what is gonna be on the volcano roll. Some places, it's just a cali roll with spicy tuna.. but the last spot I ordered one, it was a tempura fried cali roll, etc.

sashimi. it doesn't change.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I agree that your best bet for calories is sashimi. And avoid sauces, tempura or "crunchy" items because they're likely to have oil and other high calorie stuff. Try to get low sodium soy sauce or drink plenty of water. Anything where it's just seafood, veggies, seaweed and rice won't be unhealthy really, just might not be low calorie. Anything where they start battering it or topping it with sauces and other stuff starts to get into potentially unhealthy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I don't have sushi very often. When I do, it's a special treat, and I just get what I like best. I'm not going to waste a special treat meal on mediocre sushi just so I can save a little bit of calories.
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    a place near me makes skinny california rolls, pretty much double the crab or shrimp & cucumber, they use non fried egg roll wrapper instead of rice. I don't know how much difference that makes tho.
    Brown rice instead of white.

Makes me want sushi now.
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the posters above! Avoid tempura/panko crumbs, hot sauces, mayo or anything deep fried.

Last time I has sushi I ordered: a cucumber roll, avocado roll and a tuna roll (not the "tuna bakudan" since that has the crunchy crumbs and hot sauce) and I was FULL!

Also, I think there are some rolls that don't have rice on the outside (and only on the inside). Those might be better ones to stick to.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm going for sushi tonight, I'm planning on the meal being 3-5k cals. I don't think my experiences with sushi will help you, sorry.
  • tackie8383
    tackie8383 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I second what everyone is saying about sashimi, but I also really like sushi rolls. I usually get one roll, either salmon or tuna avacado with brown rice and then get one or two pieces of sashimi.
  • WeatherGirl8
    WeatherGirl8 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sushi is delicious and there are tons of healthy rolls. Sashimi is probably the best for you. Just don't go for anything with mayo or spicy mayo in it, or tempura sushi. That's when the calories get high.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Sushi is one of my favorite foods. I eat it a couple times a month and eat what I like, it's a treat. Check out http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/ for calorie content and other great information about sushi.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't have sushi very often. When I do, it's a special treat, and I just get what I like best. I'm not going to waste a special treat meal on mediocre sushi just so I can save a little bit of calories.

This. If I'm going for sushi then I'll skip lunch and get what I want. I usually order one spicy roll and one california roll. My husband and I sometimes split a fried roll. And of course there's green tea ice cream.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The nigiri is all healthy. Ditto the sashimi.

The only roll I eat on any regular basis is the California roll. The fats in it are healthy.

Most sushi is healthy, except the over-the-top Americanized rolls.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm going for sushi tonight, I'm planning on the meal being 3-5k cals. I don't think my experiences with sushi will help you, sorry.

LOL
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that sushi rice contains quite a lot of sugar. It is dressed with sweetened and salted vinegar. In my Japanese cookbook, the amount of sugar is high enough that you actually have to heat up the vinegar to dissolve all that sugar in it. That's why I try to stick to sashimi served with plain rice. Also be aware that chirashi sushi is usually served on the vinegared sushi rice, and not plain rice.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    What the heck are you all eating when you go for Sushi in order to be worried about the calories?

Just stay away from any tempura rolls and sauces. I can't understand why anyone would need to ask this question to be honest.

I seriously cannot grasp the idea that someone can eat 3000-5000 calories of sushi? How much of the stuff are you eating to net these kind of cals? :huh:
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Ahh Now I want Sushi!!!

Triggers to watch out for:

Spicy: Generally means that the roll combines hot chili sauce mixed in with some fattening mayonnaise.

Crispy: Indicates that a portion of the roll, such as the meat or the onions on top of it, have been fried in fattening oils, giving your roll a huge increase in extra calories

Tempura: Just a fancy name for deep fried. They dip that shrimp or vegetables in fattening batter then deep fry it making that roll about as healthy as a french fry.

Also search internet... Best Low Calories Sushi rolls:

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/content/ultimate-sushi-roll-selector
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/6-best-low-calorie-sushi-rolls :bigsmile:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    What the heck are you all eating when you go for Sushi in order to be worried about the calories?

Just stay away from any tempura rolls and sauces. I can't understand why anyone would need to ask this question to be honest.

I seriously cannot grasp the idea that someone can eat 3000-5000 calories of sushi? How much of the stuff are you eating to net these kind of cals? :huh:
    Its all of the rice that raises the calories. Most sushi is loaded with rice. The rolls are rice with a veggie or veggie / seafood mix wrapped in the rice then with a seaweed wrap and usually more rice around the outside. While its very healthy its the rice that has the majority of the calories.

I love sushi. Our daughter has worked in a sushi restaurant for 2 years now. I used to eat quite a bit when she first worked there but now I've cut way back. I eat now mostly from the Hibachi list and don't eat all of the rice that comes with the dish.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Its all of the rice that raises the calories. Most sushi is loaded with rice. The rolls are rice with a veggie or veggie / seafood mix wrapped in the rice then with a seaweed wrap and usually more rice around the outside. While its very healthy its the rice that has the majority of the calories.

There are 422 calories in a cup of sushi rice. Who eats 6+ cups of rice when eating Sushi?! :-/

I'd be interested to know how many pieces everyone eats when they go and eat Sushi? Maybe it's the quantity? At the most i'll eat 5 rolls (like California rolls) and some Sashimi.