Need Support and Ideas...

Options
Hello... I've been on MFP for 2 weeks. I am just starting to feel like I have a handle on the diet/food piece of it and the weight is starting to come off. I am very active and like to workout. I started running again (or trying to), I have my 1st 5K in years coming up in May. I just found out that I have torn my meniscus in my right knee. I am starting to rehab it next week. I am so frustrated! I was told that I can workout (lifting upper body, etc) just nothing that would effect my knee. I need ideas to help me burn calories and keep motiviated. (Trust me, the thought of giving in last night and just eating some ice cream was very tempting!) I would appreciate hearing ideas if you have some.

Thanks!

Replies

• Nexir
    Nexir Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have a problem with leg too, just not with knees but with ankle... and I love running... I'll definitely add you :flowerforyou:
  • BoiNeezy
    BoiNeezy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Add me if u like
  • sarahnull07
    sarahnull07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Add me too if you'd like, I have issues with my ankle that keep me from working out as hard as I would like to. Have to keep the the stationary bike mostly. Sucks when you want something so bad and your mind is set but your body breaks down on you =/
  • mwall2
    mwall2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hello! definitely follow the doctors orders. you dont want to put yourself out of commission for longer than needed! once your able to slowly start working out again, i recommend the elliptical. its very low impact for people who have had knee injuries... me being one of them! i also enjoy the spin (cycle) classes available at most gyms. in the mean time, i recommend trying to focus on healing, some upper body strength and eating healthy. dont let the fork in the road steer you into the wrong direction! you can do this!

feel free to add me!
  • JustAGemini
    JustAGemini Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    have you considered hot yoga? its an amazing workout and the heat helps to loosen all of your muscles, it's very low/no? impact and its great for destressing! :)
    feel free to add me!
  • suzannemsawyer
    suzannemsawyer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't do anything that could tear it further. I suggest swimming.
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas. It sounds like I'm about a month out of being able to even do the elliptical. I will continue to focus on the dr's orders, do the rehab exercises, and keep my diet clean. Thanks!!!!